Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General setup info for 300 blk sbr with suppressor

Thanks for the reminder about that Permatex solution, Craig - I remember that from years ago!- and for the Saker pro tip, LL.

I may monkey with buffer weights to see if that helps with the extra gas and recoil when suppressing supers - I've heard different things from different people. This is a fun project and a learning experience for me, so the more excuse to tinker the better. But I'm pretty happy with where it's at now and don't see myself shooting shores suppressed very much.

Congrats on the build! For me, building, tweaking and tuning is the fun part.

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I just filed form 4 for an Omega. Now I'm visiting an engraver for a form 1 lower start. Being REALLY new to all this does anyone have any good source for info on setting up a 300 blk sbr with an Omega? Should I get an adjustable gas block? Sounds like a H or H2 buffer? I would like to run both subsonic and supersonic ammo. I don't own the upper yet. My idea was the 9" from BCM.

Thank you for any input.
    Very interesting because I am thinking of a the same set up, actually, I think I will start with a BCM 16" 300 with Omega. Not 100% sure about the suppressor. In addition I want to also do a BCM SBR 300 with suppressor as well. I will most likely use 1 can for both riles not sure on the SBR length? it's all new to me so I have a lot to get figured out.

I am thinking I would run subsonic ammo with the can the majority of the time.

I am not sure if this helps you at all, but I saw the info noted below on BCM site:
    BCM has taken great care to ensure the best possible performance and interchangeability. However, due to the large operational range of 300 Blackout ammunition in the market place, BCM cannot guarantee function will all ammunition types in all conditions. These barrels were designed to run with a carbine buffer with subsonic ammo and a H3 buffer with high velocity ammo. Fine tuning may be required in limited instances based on ammo and buffer choices that work best for the desired application. BCM also recommends running the Crane O-ring (provided with all BCM Bolt Carrier Groups) over the extractor with 300 Blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Have you shot a suppressed rifle without hearing protection?

Heck you can even put a 16'' upper on it and take it out of state without NFA hassles.
    How accurate is this statement? It is my understanding that you must notify ATF and have appropriate paperwork in order to go out of state with said registered SBR or suppressor. BWT are you just talking in terms of issues with states that do not allow SBR's? I am asking because I am really contemplating registering 2 rifles of mine at this time and would love to be able to just drop a different upper on and go out of state to a class without dealing with a bunch of garbage.

General setup info for 300 blk sbr with suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    How accurate is this statement? It is my understanding that you must notify ATF and have appropriate paperwork in order to go out of state with said registered SBR or suppressor. BWT are you just talking in terms of issues with states that do not allow SBR's? I am asking because I am really contemplating registering 2 rifles of mine at this time and would love to be able to just drop a different upper on and go out of state to a class without dealing with a bunch of garbage.
    Not BWT, but a registered lower is not an SBR without a
    <16" upper attached. If upper is 16" or more, travel at will.

Suppressors don't require notification.

ETA - Tapatalk is killing me - keeps dropping half my post, sorry
    Last edited by punkey71; 04-08-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    Not BWT, but a registered lower is not an SBR without a
    <16" upper attached. If upper is 16" or more, travel at will.

Suppressors don't require notification.

ETA - Tapatalk is killing me - keeps dropping half my post, sorry
    Not a lawyer, but this is not my understanding. My understanding is that the barrel length on the form is the actual length, and any other upper/barrel is just a temporary change. It's an SBR in non-SBR configuration...but it's still an SBR.

Call the NFA branch and ask for clarification: 304.616.4500

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Not a lawyer, but this is not my understanding. My understanding is that the barrel length on the form is the actual length, and any other upper/barrel is just a temporary change. It's an SBR in non-SBR configuration...but it's still an SBR.

Call the NFA branch and ask for clarification: 304.616.4500
    This was my concern. Sounds like a plan, will call Monday. Thank you for the great advice.

After a little more searching I found this: https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2013/...to-fill-o.html from an NFA gun trust lawyer. I will still call Monday but thought this was interesting.

Punkey is correct. Once you remove the short barrel, it is no longer an SBR. If you put a >16" barrel on, it is treated as a title 1 firearm.

The last time I heard people calling the ATF for "clarification" they lost the ability to shoulder their Sig arm brace.

Im not saying this is the same thing, but I'd be hesitant to call the ATF and ask them to make "clarifications" to the existing laws and regs.

Just thinking out loud...

:-)

User Tag List