Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General setup info for 300 blk sbr with suppressor

BWT makes good points about suppressors, but the Omega, to me, is the safe bet if you simply must buy a can because it can be used on so many different guns and calibers.

If you're planning on a 300blk upper, id do the 9". I can't tell you if you'll have to have the 7.0 handguard or the 8.0, but I bet silencerco can.

I went with the AAC 9" upper with the AAC 762-SD can. Works well, but this was a few years ago, and I think there are better cans out there now.

Name:  AAC - 1.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  101.5 KB

The Omega and a BCM upper are solid choices, backed by companies that stand by their products. You did well, it should run great.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I just filed form 4 for an Omega. Now I'm visiting an engraver for a form 1 lower start. Being REALLY new to all this does anyone have any good source for info on setting up a 300 blk sbr with an Omega? Should I get an adjustable gas block? Sounds like a H or H2 buffer? I would like to run both subsonic and supersonic ammo. I don't own the upper yet. My idea was the 9" from BCM.

Thank you for any input.
    Try it before making any changes. I prefer to use an adjustable gas block so I can tune the rifle to the load at the source. The 300BLK shines in short suppressed rifles; the 9" BCM and Omega combination should serve you well.

Site Supporter
    Thanks everyone. Just to answer some of the questions. My main rifle will remain my 16" BCM. The controls will be kept as close as possible for both rifle.

I do have reloading equipment already so I will likely get 300 dies. I will probably end up with a short BCM upper for 556 at some point aswell. I like to have options. With the 556 I will probably try to stay at 11.5" or 12.5".

Again, thank you all for responding. It sounds like I was on the right track but there is a lot of useless crap online that people pretend to know. The signal to noise here tends to be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I went with the AAC 9" upper with the AAC 762-SD can. Works well, but this was a few years ago, and I think there are better cans out there now.

Name:  AAC - 1.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  101.5 KB
    I still REALLY want a mini Acog.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I still REALLY want a mini Acog.
    PM sent.

I ignored all of the good advice above and went bananas/unconventional on my 300 build. Other than some problems with out of spec parts (since replaced) results have been very encouraging.

I used an Aero Precision upper, lower and BCG. An 8" Ballistic Advantage barrel (their budget option) and pinned non-adjustable low pro gas block. Demo Troy Alpha rail. Finally an MVB Arc stock because PDW. I'm using a Saker 762 as well.

So far it works with 300 subs and supers, both suppressed and unsuppressed. Supers run just fine unsuppressed, and subs run fine suppressed. Subs function unsuppressed but the action is sluggish and sometimes fails to lock back the bolt on an empty mag. Supers function suppressed but there is a LOT of extra gas and the gun isn't real happy about it. All of this is ok and I'm just glad it works across the board.

Happily the suppressors POI shift is vertical by a couple of inches. What this means is that when Remington 120 grain supers are dialed in to POA/POI at 50 yards unsuppressed, I get the exact same POI with suppressed Remington 220 grain subs. I'll see if this holds true for other ammo but for now I'm happy with these results.

My only complaints: (1) I've never shot suppressed before and I'm not loving the gas to face phenomenon. I'll use an adjustable gas block next time for that reason alone. (2) Magpul MBUS sights were tough to zero and the retention screws loosened up on me. (3) I wish the stock's LOP was a *bit* longer - fully extended its about where a four position Colt carbine stock is at its first position out from fully collapsed. Oh well - PDW.

As a side note I'm not real wild about the Saker's Trifecta mount. I don't have much to compare it to but it gets stuck on too easily. A few raps with a rubber mallet loosens up whatever carbon is making it stick, but that's still annoying. I'll try some high temp anti seize on the mounting surfaces next and hope for the best.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  38.9 KB
    Last edited by TR675; 03-28-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Glad it's working for you. It certainly looks pretty sick.

My 16" 300blk BA barrel with factory pinned LPGB runs supers/subs both suppressed/unsuppressed just fine. Assuming yours is also a factory pinned GB, you may give BA a call just to see what they say about how yours is running. I called prior to ordering mine to discuss the gas port size and was assured the barrel would function with any combination of subs/supers/suppressed/unsuppressed. I forget who I spoke to, but he was both knowledgeable and helpful. Told me to give them a call back if it didn't work as advertised.

I found THIS information on gas port sizing helpful when shopping for a 300blk barrel.

For gas to the face, try doing THIS using THIS.

Nice build and verrry interesting data on the POI shift.

On your mount issues, you have to dribble some lube into the part of the suppressor mount (on the suppressor) that moves and also wipe some lube on the Trifecta lugs and smooth part. Then unload the weapon three times, go to a room with no ammo in it, put on a motivating movie, and just work the shit out of that mount and suppressor, add lube again after you done. It will break in but alway make sure it's lubed on the points I mentioned. You can use grease on the Trifecta mount but I highly recommend oil dribbled into the moving parts of the suppressor mount itself. Not that it really matters but I'm using Lucas gun oil for this and it works great and is much cheaper than the usual boutique gun lubes.
    #RESIST

User Tag List