Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General setup info for 300 blk sbr with suppressor

Site Supporter

General setup info for 300 blk sbr with suppressor

I just filed form 4 for an Omega. Now I'm visiting an engraver for a form 1 lower start. Being REALLY new to all this does anyone have any good source for info on setting up a 300 blk sbr with an Omega? Should I get an adjustable gas block? Sounds like a H or H2 buffer? I would like to run both subsonic and supersonic ammo. I don't own the upper yet. My idea was the 9" from BCM.

Thank you for any input.

You probably won't have to dick around with it. I didn't with my 11.5" KAC SR-30, Saker 7.62, and subs/supers. I believe the BCM uses an H buffer. I wouldn't worry about it at all if I were you and buying from BCM, their stuff just works.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You probably won't have to dick around with it. I didn't with my 11.5" KAC SR-30, Saker 7.62, and subs/supers. I believe the BCM uses an H buffer. I wouldn't worry about it at all if I were you and buying from BCM, their stuff just works.
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. Just out of curiosity why an 11.5"? I thought the SR30 was a 9.5". Is there an advantage out side of a few extra ft/s?

Like with most things AR, I'd start with the gun as close to "stock" as you can and adjust as necessary. Start with an H buffer and standard GI spring, good quality GI trigger and other lower parts, etc.

Site Supporter
    I'd agree 100% with LL and rob's input.

Keep it simple, and be reluctant to change things like springs, triggers, etc. Just shoot the gun.

We've had 4 positive experiences with BCM carbines (uppers and lowers) in my family; I would stick with that.

In fact I'd never had a malfunction in any of my BCM guns until I ran the VLTOR A5 system on a Sionics lower in a Midlength 16'' BCM recently.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: I can't speak for the 11.5'' barrel versus 9.5'' in .300 BLK but in 5.56mm it's more a dwell time issue.

.300 BLK it might just be for a bit longer barrel for a bit more velocity or to extend rail length. I'm not certain.
    Last edited by BWT; 03-01-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thank you gentlemen. I plan to run a mil spec trigger. I just want a gun that will run without killing itself. As someone relatively new to ARs I get a little scared with all the stories of guns not running or running poorly.

Anyone know how much difference you have to have between the handgaurd length and barrel length to mount a Silencerco Omega?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    Thank you gentlemen. I plan to run a mil spec trigger. I just want a gun that will run without killing itself. As someone relatively new to ARs I get a little scared with all the stories of guns not running or running poorly.

Anyone know how much difference you have to have between the handgaurd length and barrel length to mount a Silencerco Omega?
    That's part of the reason to go with factory rifles if I can. They're designed to work well together and they warranty the gun. Barring that duplicating a factory configuration is a safe bet.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-U...kout-s/207.htm

Not many suppressor are reflexive these days (AAC M4-SPR or Ops Inc. models). I would shop suppressors and uppers.

Interestingly, it seems the 12.5" BCM is a pistol length gas as well as the 9".

What barrel length are you considering? Any ideas? Are you very familiar with suppressors?

God bless,

Brandon

ETA: Just saw Silencerco Omega. The mount indicates the suppressor ends pretty close to the beginning of the flash hider. I think others can give specifics on the Omega.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sile...JrVzbGt0aqM%3A

Were you thinking of a 9" or 12.5" BCM?
    Last edited by BWT; 03-01-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    That's part of the reason to go with factory rifles if I can. They're designed to work well together and they warranty the gun. Barring that duplicating a factory configuration is a safe bet.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-U...kout-s/207.htm

Not many suppressor are reflexive these days (AAC M4-SPR or Ops Inc. models). I would shop suppressors and uppers.

Interestingly, it seems the 12.5" BCM is a pistol length gas as well as the 9".

What barrel length are you considering? Any ideas? Are you very familiar with suppressors?

God bless,

Brandon

ETA: Just saw Silencerco Omega. The mount indicates the suppressor ends pretty close to the beginning of the flash hider. I think others can give specifics on the Omega.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sile...JrVzbGt0aqM%3A

Were you thinking of a 9" or 12.5" BCM?
    I am not very familiar with supressors, I am a new to all of this. I have a 16" BCM on a PSA lower that has worked very well for me. I only have about 600 rounds through the setup but I have 0 complaints. This is why I am looking a BCM again. The little reading I have done for SBR setups makes me think that a 300 blk is a good idea. I have no need to throw fireballs with 223, however if I decide to switch it's only a barrel.

I want to get my form 1 started so my PSA lower that has worked with about 800 or 900 rounds (about 600 with my BCM upper, 100 with a colt carbine upper, and 100 on a suppressor set up a friend was trying to work out) is heading to an engraver and a new one will be here Thursday to take its place on my 16".

Since the paperwork won't be back until I have the engraving done I have a few months to sort out my decision.

My understanding is that most 300 blk is supposed to burn fully in a 9" barrel. That being the case I didn't see a reason for a 12.5". I also know enough to know I may not know what I don't know, you know?

From what I'm getting for feedback I was on the right track. Mil spec trigger, H buffer, and stock spring on a BCM 9" with some irons on it. Then shoot it and train until I suck less. I wouldn't be going SBR yet but I feel a bit like I should get one while I can. Besides, it was time for a "1 more year without punching someone at work" and I shot a glock for a year without going to buy the new hotness gift.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I am not very familiar with supressors, I am a new to all of this. I have a 16" BCM on a PSA lower that has worked very well for me. I only have about 600 rounds through the setup but I have 0 complaints. This is why I am looking a BCM again. The little reading I have done for SBR setups makes me think that a 300 blk is a good idea. I have no need to throw fireballs with 223, however if I decide to switch it's only a barrel.

I want to get my form 1 started so my PSA lower that has worked with about 800 or 900 rounds (about 600 with my BCM upper, 100 with a colt carbine upper, and 100 on a suppressor set up a friend was trying to work out) is heading to an engraver and a new one will be here Thursday to take its place on my 16".

Since the paperwork won't be back until I have the engraving done I have a few months to sort out my decision.

My understanding is that most 300 blk is supposed to burn fully in a 9" barrel. That being the case I didn't see a reason for a 12.5". I also know enough to know I may not know what I don't know, you know?

From what I'm getting for feedback I was on the right track. Mil spec trigger, H buffer, and stock spring on a BCM 9" with some irons on it. Then shoot it and train until I suck less. I wouldn't be going SBR yet but I feel a bit like I should get one while I can. Besides, it was time for a "1 more year without punching someone at work" and I shot a glock for a year without going to buy the new hotness gift.
    Have you shot a suppressed rifle without hearing protection?

I saw the 100 rounds for your friend's Colt Upper; the only reason I ask is my experience was vastly different than what I expected.

It's a significant wait, cost, and process for the suppressor. In fact, the suppressor is probably the portion of this purchase I'd scrutinize the most because it'll have effects on back pressure, tone, etc. and resale is not really an option worth considering. The attachment methods (and cost of mounts), warranty, end cap options, suppressor weight, POI/POA shift, etc. are all factors to strongly consider. The SBR's just a lower, and you can change the barrel length by changing uppers. Heck you can even put a 16'' upper on it and take it out of state without NFA hassles.

I imagine you've also counted the cost but the only other thing I'd advise some thought on is you mention training until you suck less. I could easily see (even with reloading) .300 BLK limiting the number of rounds you're able to shoot per year. Unless reloading is something you might consider.

If you shoot thousand or so rounds a year out of the gun (which could just be a few magazines every range visit), and introducing it to friends, etc. that might not be as big of a deal.

(ETA: moved this sentence to be before instead of after the following sentence) However, if you see yourself taking classes, competition, and using this as your go-to gun. That could get expensive.

Not meaning to be a debbie downer but just giving honest feedback on why I have a 12.5'' 5.56mm and decided not to pursue a 9'' 300 BLK back when I was interested. Also, why I went with an SBR over a suppressor.

Overall,

This sounds like a pretty good plan.

I think you'll make a solid decision; your approach sounds very well thought out.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: Re-reading the thread (maybe I should post less); you've already made your decision on the Omega and I think that'll work great for what you're doing.
    Last edited by BWT; 03-01-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    I am about a month into the wait on the Omega I purchased. It will be installed on a 16" .300 BLK rifle. I will have to swap out the flash hider for the one shipped with the Omega. Other than that I'm not planning any modifications to the gun in order to use the suppressor.

User Tag List