Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I start shooting faster?

Dry fire with a timer is the best way.

Get Ben's dryfire book ASAP.

Once you find a range that will allow it doing things like the Bill Drill, FAST, Presidente and other "speed" drills with a timer setting a progressively faster par time will help immensely.

Do a mix of shooting a par time you can just barely beat while seeing the sights for each shot and separately set a par time that is far beyond your ability (4 seconds instead of 6 for instance) and try to beat it even if that means not seeing the sights every time. Once in a while burn it down firing as fast as you can pull the trigger without losing control of the gun (.2 or .15 splits for instance) for a 5 or 6 shot "burst". Brace yourself for maximum recoil control and really crank down the grip when doing that.

Do everything else suggested by others too. I just hadn't seen anyone suggest the burn it down or fast par time strategy yet.
    Last edited by Lomshek; 03-03-2016 at 12:59 AM.

"Crank down the grip"

Well how hard should one be gripping a pistol?

I always assumed you wanted a firm grip, but nothing too thight or nothing where your knuckles turn white.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    "Crank down the grip"

Well how hard should one be gripping a pistol?

I always assumed you wanted a firm grip, but nothing too thight or nothing where your knuckles turn white.
    I've been told to grip as hard as I can. If the front sights start shaking then ease off a bit until they stop.

I think firmness should be determined by how well your gun comes BACK DOWN from recoil. I can roll .13-.17 splits into the A at 7 yards but when reviewing my video my gun doesn't stay flat, on a good day it just comes back down to where I need it. A strong grip is good, and gun that comes back on target every time is gooder.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I think firmness should be determined by how well your gun comes BACK DOWN from recoil. I can roll .13-.17 splits into the A at 7 yards but when reviewing my video my gun doesn't stay flat, on a good day it just comes back down to where I need it. A strong grip is good, and gun that comes back on target every time is gooder.

I will pay attention to this next time I shoot and notice how the guns come back down.

Ben Stoeger says skin comes off his dominant hand from his support hand gripping so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post

Tastes great, less filling... You've found one of the holy-wars of pistol shooting.

All kidding aside, that sounds pretty good what you described there.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Tastes great, less filling... You've found one of the holy-wars of pistol shooting.

All kidding aside, that sounds pretty good what you described there.
    Maybe I could be wrong (since I am self-taught more or less) but I tend to keep the entire body (arms, core, etc) firm but relaxed since when one shoots rifles they want to stay relaxed.

I think what I really need is a timer at this point, so I can start measuring things objectively.

Site Supporter
    I can shoot really fast in USPSA and IDPA - the problem is hitting the target. Shooting fast and getting solid hits is a lot harder that it looks in TV!

User Tag List