Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How do I start shooting faster?

I just wanted to add, an experienced shooting pointed out to me today that while taking several shots at the same target, I was looking over the sights to check the previous hits which ended up causing me to sink the rest of the shots lower and off target.

He told me I really need to only focus on the front sight and to take shots once the sight picture is correct.

I think that me stopping to look for hits on an IPSC classic could be one of the reasons my pace was slower back when I first posted this thread.

I may have missed it above, the thing about gripping the gun is that it is so your hands and the gun move together. you don't want the gun twisting out of the support hand, you want it be one big solid mass. The harder you grip without causing the gun to shake, or fatiguing your hands, the better. You also need to be able to isolate your trigger finger while gripping that hard, and for some people that is the most difficult part. Their trigger finger becomes stiffer and less manageable as they increase their grip. That takes training, like the rest of it does. Todd's mag dump drills really help show this to you. Although up here, 10 round mag dumps are nowhere near as effective as 15-20 round mag dumps in free states.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Mag dump drills?

mag dumps, or AMRAP drills. no target, just a berm (if you can) and it's all about seeing how fast you work the trigger to learn about the dynamics of the muzzle rise and recoil control, sight tracking etc. Too many are a waste of ammo, but sometimes you just need to hammer out a few mags without worrying about anything other than speed (and safety obviously). Then once you get used to what happens at speed you can start working on seeing what is actually happening. Todd explained it much much better
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Is smaller better?

I've been testing out the P320 Small grip frame for a couple months in the hope that it would improve my split times. While I am able to bust out some .17 and .18 splits with the Small Frame (avg. .19 & .20 with Medium), I noticed that I'm more prone to trigger freeze when shooting drills like the Bill Drill, etc. I'm not sure if it is because I am trying to focus too much on working the trigger, or if having my hand closed more around the smaller circumference creates more tension? Anyways, just curious if any of you all have had similar experiences.

When I try to shoot fast I get trigger freeze. If I just shoot (like Bill drill) .14's are easy and I've seen .12's.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    When I try to shoot fast I get trigger freeze. If I just shoot (like Bill drill) .14's are easy and I've seen .12's.
    Cool. Looks like I just need to stop trying to control and let it happen...already sounding like Enos! LOL Thanks, Luke

Focus on seeing faster, not shooting faster.

Now if I could just take my own advice and use it if be doin alright lol.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Focus on seeing faster, not shooting faster.

Now if I could just take my own advice and use it if be doin alright lol.
    This advice is important...I like shooting steel for that sort of stuff tbh...although a steel match is usually one or two shots at a target at most so it's really a transitions game above all else

....but perhaps if you set up a silhouette or a lollipop and work on getting hits on it as fast as you can?

Shooting good hits at speed has been my main problem as well...mostly on account of me just getting a really coarse sight picture and slapping the trigger twice...which if you're trying to get hits on cardboard is fine, but if you're trying to hit an A zone, there's a little more refinement to it than that and I'm never patient enough to get that, even though the benefit of better hits probably outweighs the slight drawback of the speed of going full retard.

It has been almost a year since I started this post. I just wanted to chime in that I'm somehow naturally faster right now than when I originally posted this. I guess that's what happens when you just do the thing and try to pay attention.

User Tag List