View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 70 of 79 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I've been watching the Guilty of Treeson for at least of couple of years. This tore me up.

https://youtu.be/v4NNNZjMcV0

I saw this today too. That was bad. I watched Inbred Jed to learn how to square file. I didn't realize how many of their videos I had watched until this one.

Man, that sucks. Definitely a very non-forgiving business / Hobby.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I think there is a lot of it depends and specific to what you are doing.

If there is a homeowner with a small suburban yard, I'd tell them to get a electric chainsaw that matches their power tools, You get over 1/4 acre and want to get some work in and you'll keep something nice, nice, then a 261. You start getting over 12 inch wood and more than a cord or two then move on up in size accordingly. At some point the investment in time and equipment and skill acquisition will be too much, you'll hire out to professionals

Unsure if I have been on point but a small saw will take care of the misc work just fine but as volume of wood and work increase the big saws with long bars will just out pace them. You need a big saw to run a long bar (modifications are better)- a long bar gives more reach and can be safer in terms of kickback. Long bars there is more bar to pay attention to - few stories from loggers of not seeing the tip and it hitting a rock or vine maple and coming back at them.
    So I致e been reading most of this and have been wrestling with a purchase lately. Context: I知 a homeowner in SE NC on around 4 acres with just over 2 wooded. My use case; I have had six (12-15 in) hardwood trees die or get blown down in several hurricanes/ storms over the last 5 years with 3 of those dead and I have yet to fell.

I知 trying to decide between the Milwaukee M18 electric saw or the Sthil MS appropriate to my needs. I usually try to purchase anything with about 20% margin above what my requirements are. I very much like the MS251 as my brother has one that I have used several times. He痴 20 minutes away. Both my father and another brother have el-cheapo saws and live about two hours away but I could access those if I couldn稚 get the Sthil for some reason. Future plans include cutting a walking path through the wooded area and eventually buying another plot and starting a mini-farm/ ranch for fun. (A couple of horses, one cow, chickens, etc)

My concern is dropping over half of what a decent gas saw would cost on an electric that would become dated with time and changes in battery technology, etc. That Milwaukee made sense at $245 but less so at over $300 on Amazon now. I have little experience in saw usage in general and none with electrics. I also have somewhere around 12-15 other pieces in the M18 lineup, so multiple batteries and chargers.

Interested in your recommendations, I知 usually trying to go down either the buy cheap first and then one that will last forever when that breaks (ensures I値l actually use said item enough to warrant buying quality; think Harbor Freight) or buy-once-cry-once when I知 sure I値l use the item. I知 not feeling electrics are BOCO.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    So I致e been reading most of this and have been wrestling with a purchase lately. Context: I知 a homeowner in SE NC on around 4 acres with just over 2 wooded. My use case; I have had six (12-15 in) hardwood trees die or get blown down in several hurricanes/ storms over the last 5 years with 3 of those dead and I have yet to fell.

I知 trying to decide between the Milwaukee M18 electric saw or the Sthil MS appropriate to my needs. I usually try to purchase anything with about 20% margin above what my requirements are. I very much like the MS251 as my brother has one that I have used several times. He痴 20 minutes away. Both my father and another brother have el-cheapo saws and live about two hours away but I could access those if I couldn稚 get the Sthil for some reason. Future plans include cutting a walking path through the wooded area and eventually buying another plot and starting a mini-farm/ ranch for fun. (A couple of horses, one cow, chickens, etc)

My concern is dropping over half of what a decent gas saw would cost on an electric that would become dated with time and changes in battery technology, etc. That Milwaukee made sense at $245 but less so at over $300 on Amazon now. I have little experience in saw usage in general and none with electrics. I also have somewhere around 12-15 other pieces in the M18 lineup, so multiple batteries and chargers.

Interested in your recommendations, I知 usually trying to go down either the buy cheap first and then one that will last forever when that breaks (ensures I値l actually use said item enough to warrant buying quality; think Harbor Freight) or buy-once-cry-once when I知 sure I値l use the item. I知 not feeling electrics are BOCO.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you are. I just bought a 16" Echo CS-3510. I was really wanting the Milwaukee M18 saw, but just couldn't justify the extra expense of the battery saw and the M12 versions, which I already had some batteries for, just didn't have the needed capability.

I left the house fully intending to purchase the MS-251 since I'm so impressed with the Stihl cultivator I just bought last spring, but my preferred local dealer was closed and I needed one "right now". So I stopped by the big box store and grabbed the Echo. It's actually slightly lighter than the CS-310 which is their smallest model but the 3510 has 5cc more engine. It seems to be a very good saw. I'd not shy away from either Echo or Stihl. When I need a new bar and chain I'll put a Stihl on it as they seem to be the best out there. Stihl bars appear to have a larger radius on the nose which will be easier on the chain and I'm sure it'll have no problem with an 18" bar.

The gas saw was well over $100 less money than the Milwaukee M18. If you already have batteries and chargers and can get a tool only version that would close the gap considerably. Also the 3510 is quite a bit lighter than the battery saw and it's a joy to use compared to a 14lb behemoth saw of any type. For me gas was the better route to take.

Far Far from being an expert.

If you are a BOCO type and decide on a gas Stihl, skip the 251 and get the 261. More HP for similar weight, and a few other niceties like a deco valve.

Several friends and family who have a ton more chainsaw experience than I do will pick this thing up and think it's nothing but then when they actually start using it they are amazed by the amount of power this thing has.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Far Far from being an expert. If you are a BOCO type and decide on a gas Stihl, skip the 251 and get the 261. More HP for similar weight, and a few other niceties like a deco valve.
    I think this is sound advice. The 261 gives you a 25% improvement in power at the same weight. That might come in handy if you want to play around with longer bars and is going to make the overall cutting experience that much better.

I'm with you on misgivings about battery saws. I think they have a place, but not for this use case.

Also, if you aren't terribly up to speed on filing chain, strongly consider getting the Stihl (or Pferd) 2-in-1 sharpener. Or equivalent. These not only help you maintain the correct filing angle on the cutting teeth, they simultaneously file the rakers as well. Mine have helped me out a lot. Great training wheels for sharpening.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter

I would echo the other folks. If you are going to roll a Stihl get a 261 and you will have a tool for a long term.

You could get the electric saw and see if your use out paces what it can do. I could argue for both. When you just have a few things to cut you値l grab the electric.

If funds are tight, I would recommend you run with a price point you can also afford chaps and hardhat with muffs and screen - or whatever config on the head protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Also, if you aren't terribly up to speed on filing chain, strongly consider getting the Stihl (or Pferd) 2-in-1 sharpener. Or equivalent. These not only help you maintain the correct filing angle on the cutting teeth, they simultaneously file the rakers as well. Mine have helped me out a lot. Great training wheels for sharpening.
    Yeah, I'm still in the training wheel phase myself and have gotten a lot of use out of them. I watched a Youtube video the other day from somebody who tested out six or seven different tools for sharpening the chain and the Stihl tool ranked #2 or #3 for both the speed of sharpening as well as the actual sharpness of the chain ( as measured by the time it took to cut through a log).

But the time test was unfair as none of the other tools did both the Cutters as well as the rakers. Almost certainly if you added those times to the other tools, the stihl would come in number one.

Site Supporter
    As someone who grew up cutting firewood for heat, later for sale, with whatever old saws we could afford and keep running at one point I was very into Husky and Stihl stuff.

Many years later anything I cut is to help someone out, for camping or just to clear roads. A Stihl 261 and Milwaukee m18 Sawzall with wood blades of various lengths and design are all I use. The Sawzall gets used 75% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, I'm still in the training wheel phase myself and have gotten a lot of use out of them. I watched a Youtube video the other day from somebody who tested out six or seven different tools for sharpening the chain and the Stihl tool ranked #2 or #3 for both the speed of sharpening as well as the actual sharpness of the chain ( as measured by the time it took to cut through a log).

But the time test was unfair as none of the other tools did both the Cutters as well as the rakers. Almost certainly if you added those times to the other tools, the stihl would come in number one.
    Yup, that 2-in-1 may be training wheels, but it freakin' works.

Yesterday, I went to touch a chain which I mistakenly thought was a ripping chain, so I did not use the 2-in-1; I went freehand working off the little line on the cutters and the angle that was already filed into the teeth. Hit the rakers separately. (While working on the chain I thought the angle looked suspiciously like that on a regular chain - and apparently it is a regular chain even though I had it stored in a box denoting a ripping chain.) Anyway, that thing cut like crazy when I tested it out. It was on my old 390 which is a dog compared to the 500i, but that saw with that chain surprised me - in a good way. Point being, apparently the training wheels help. I still need to hunt down the ripping chain which will live on the 390 for noodling crotches that I don't want to try with the maul.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

User Tag List