View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 45 of 79 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Site Supporter

Making progress

Mostly watching the little dudes today, maybe another session or two to finish for the year.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  91.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    The way I was taught to run a saw is on or off. Either throttle nailed down or off. Sure there is feathering when trying to not rock the chain or cleaning out a felling notch or working out a problem brushing. Feeding is dictated by the depth gauge setting on the chain and maybe some leveraging if the dawgs are in. Low rpm isn’t a thing for me. But I am not a smart man.
    Good info! Thanks.

If the saw is tough enough for Pac NW lumberjill chicks, its tough enough for me.

Site Supporter
    Finally Done.Name:  801C1B94-3303-4F9C-B103-73F4A35351A9.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  69.9 KB

Site Supporter
    I have a couple of 261’s with 18 inch bars for the small woman that come through my crews. Actually it is a good saw for training folks up. No demeaning intended, they are great little saws that hold their own. Mine used to have 20’s but seem better with the 18’s. 5 to 6 years of opening roads and meadow clearing and they are still rolling good. When my shoulders give out and I get fat again, I’ll put down the 461 and do what I need to do with the 261. My 461 rips so hard it makes me smile and giggle. It does put the hurt on me.

The way I was taught to run a saw is on or off. Either throttle nailed down or off. Sure there is feathering when trying to not rock the chain or cleaning out a felling notch or working out a problem brushing. Feeding is dictated by the depth gauge setting on the chain and maybe some leveraging if the dawgs are in. Low rpm isn’t a thing for me. But I am not a smart man.
    I'll agree with everything Cookie said. My go to saws are 261's with 16" bars and my 462 with a 20" (25" if larger stuff is everywhere). I'll feather at the bottom of a cut if on the ground to reduce the chance of sending it through the log and into the dirt, brush, and cleaning up notches. These saws just aren't made for consistent low RPM usage - and keep in mind that they are air cooled, and the fan is attached to the crank. More throttle actually leads to a cooler engine running it all day, in my experience. The exhaust temp, well, that is just going to be hot.

I don't get aggressive with my depth gauges at all. Most run at .025, I have a couple set at .035 for nothing but bucking, and my 462 runs 661 dogs. The depth gauges control feeding, and too aggressive and you'll stall your saw. Too fine, and the RPM's are too high for sustained use and you'll hurt the saw long term. I use my dogs constantly - the dogs give control to the feeding.

Most saws, including the newer electronically adjusted ones, have a natural lean condition in the middle of the throttle position. Lean in this case means too much air and not enough fuel. I have two dead saws on the bench right now that the owner decided to mill with their saw at about 3/4 throttle attempting to save fuel (?), well he saved it alright and cost him two top ends. Like mentioned above, it also lowers the amount of cooling air.

I read a long time ago that two-cycle engines want to be run at wide open throttle, so that is what I have done ever since. Saws, weed eaters, and boat motors (when applicable (yeah, my Neanderthal ass is still running a two-stroke outboard - it’s paid for)). I continue to get a lot longevity out of my two-strokes running them this way.

Finally Done.Name:  801C1B94-3303-4F9C-B103-73F4A35351A9.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  69.9 KB

I have never seen wood stacked like that, is that a PacNor thing? What diameter and how do you start it? I may try something like that this year since i will be installing an old wood cook stove shortly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Most saws, including the newer electronically adjusted ones, have a natural lean condition in the middle of the throttle position. Lean in this case means too much air and not enough fuel. I have two dead saws on the bench right now that the owner decided to mill with their saw at about 3/4 throttle attempting to save fuel (?), well he saved it alright and cost him two top ends. Like mentioned above, it also lowers the amount of cooling air.
    You have checked my "Learn something new every day" box for today. Thanks.!

I have always run my saws WFO felling or cutting logs, but have sometimes backed off the throttle cutting limbs or scrub that didn't pull out easily. No more.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    You have checked my "Learn something new every day" box for today. Thanks.!

I have always run my saws WFO felling or cutting logs, but have sometimes backed off the throttle cutting limbs or scrub that didn't pull out easily. No more.
    Unsure if the technique is approved but I will often rev the saw hard moving between cuts (making good decisions about footing and movement) to keep the chain speed up and facilitate cutting lots of small stuff. Given the times I think about this was cutting fireline and working through lots of little brush.

I was told full rev’s all the time on the basis of carbon build up and how 2 stroke motors work but thinking now I want more detail.

Yeah, I was always told to run two strokes balls out.
    #RESIST

User Tag List