View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 79 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I haven’t seen you volunteering to cut firewood. I’ve got the 372 sitting there, along with a shiny new 100hp tractor for you to skid the logs with. What more do you want, a gold-plated invitation or something?
    I don’t drive on the East Coast, I stay in my happy little ten mile circle.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Attachment 49214

The Jepson book is much better for the everyday guy. The Dent book was a revolution back in the day and that dude was an icon, be passed a few years back:

https://wildfiretoday.com/2012/03/23...glas-dent-rip/
    Jeff's book is great.

And if you need rope, skip all the entry level stuff. I recently bought a Sampson 1/2" climbing line, and today a Sampson 1/2" rigging line. It blows the equipment at the shop completely out of the water (shop stuff = Notch - took forever to get them to even consider buying a piece of rope (ridiculous).

The sampson 1/2 Stable Braid has a working load limit of 2,100 pound, a tensile strength of 10,400 pounds, holds knots like nobody's business, and has a mere 1% elongation at 10,400 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don’t drive on the East Coast, I stay in my happy little ten mile circle.
    A promise is a promise. You said if I bought it, you’d run it.

😝

I don't blame LittleLebowski one bit. Last time I went back to PA to visit relatives, I thought I was going to literally die in da streetz. People drive like maniacs there. From now on I stick to the styx, I told my relatives that they will have to come find me if they want to see me again, so far it's been a no show, oh well. Gotta do what you gotta do to find your happy place in life.

I'll tell you another sweet companion to your saws. Those Gerber parang are amazeballs! I was chopping up branches and vines like crazy with that thing. Way more effective than a machete.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I'll tell you another sweet companion to your saws. Those Gerber parang are amazeballs! I was chopping up branches and vines like crazy with that thing. Way more effective than a machete.
    Check out the Silky handsaws. The Zubat is a good saw, I'm a big fan of the 400mm length straight blade Tsurugi (cuts like a way bigger/more aggressive saw, profile allows it to get into tight places).

I'll likely be buying a Sugoi 360 for removals in a few months.

https://www.treestuff.com/saws-and-t...and=Silky+Saws

My next chainsaw purchase is going to be a Echo 2511T with a 1/4" .043 chain setup, a bumper spike, and palm debris cover. About 5 pounds for 1.5 hp driving a narrow kerf chain. Giggity.

https://www.rcpw.com/equipment/echo-...MaArsOEALw_wcB
    https://www.sawagain.com/echo-cs-251...em-a127000480/
    https://www.sawagain.com/echo-cs-251...00-v805000240/
    https://www.sawagain.com/12-1-4-pitc...ho-cs-2511t-1/

Site Supporter
    Due to several injuries I decided to get a Stihl battery powered chainsaw. My father bought a Stihl back in the eighties and it still runs great. I bought a Stihl ten years ago and after trying to get it started last week my rotator cuff said fuck you. (I don’t blame the saw; my fault for not draining the fuel last time it was used) I got the new MSA220C with the new 300s battery. The saw was expensive compared to a small gas powered but not badyou add in the charger and a couple of battery’s. Then it’s shades of HK- we hate you expensive. I charged the battery’s yesterday and I’m going out today to try it out. I will report back later

Site Supporter
    I used my battery powered Stihl for the first time to cut back the wood line behind my house. Lots of small trees. Most only one to two inches in diameter. A few up to 4 inches. This thing cut like it was a light Sabre. Ok- a machete; which is how I used it to chop the small brambles. Yes it was expensive but ever time I use it and I don’t have to curse the communists for my chainsaw not starting it is a win.(growing up any time something didn’t work my father blamed the fucking commies; washing machine breaks? Fucking commies. I do the same thing. My kids laugh about it)

Site Supporter
    I've been amazed at the rapid advances in cordless tool technology, just in general. A few years ago the Milwaukee brushed cordless 4.5" grinder I bought was a total joke -- lucky to get literally one minute out of the old 4.0Ah battery that was state of the art back then. Now I've got a 9" cordless grinder that will do actual work for 5 minutes or so on a 12.0Ah battery (9" grinders are power hogs, FYI-- and most men don't even want to run them because they work you). I can run a 4.5" brushless one for a very long time on that same 12.0Ah battery. Brushless tech and large Ah batteries are game changers.

I will wholeheartedly jump on the cordless electric chainsaw wagon in the next few years once we see where the tech is going and just how quickly the current crop is falling into obsolescence. I'll kinda miss the rip and roar of 2-stroke saws, but I'll survive just fine. Maybe I'll hang a couple of the better ones on the shop wall for decorations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I've been amazed at the rapid advances in cordless tool technology, just in general. A few years ago the Milwaukee brushed cordless 4.5" grinder I bought was a total joke -- lucky to get literally one minute out of the old 4.0Ah battery that was state of the art back then. Now I've got a 9" cordless grinder that will do actual work for 5 minutes or so on a 12.0Ah battery (9" grinders are power hogs, FYI-- and most men don't even want to run them because they work you). I can run a 4.5" brushless one for a very long time on that same 12.0Ah battery. Brushless tech and large Ah batteries are game changers.

I will wholeheartedly jump on the cordless electric chainsaw wagon in the next few years once we see where the tech is going and just how quickly the current crop is falling into obsolescence. I'll kinda miss the rip and roar of 2-stroke saws, but I'll survive just fine. Maybe I'll hang a couple of the better ones on the shop wall for decorations
    We're on a cusp of some big breakthrough stuff on the saws. Stihl has a the MSA220C now, which is significant because it's the first battery saw they've sold that needed a chain bigger than 1/4" to be durable long term (runs a 3/8 low profile/pico chain). A german company has a prototype that they say is equiveilant to a 661 in power output, and watching it throw chips with a .325 chain I believe it.

In reality, anything bigger than a 261 chainsaw at this point in the game doesn't make sense for battery saws - the energy density simply isn't there, and the charging/lugging of batteries for big jobs just means the saws bigger than that will go unused. But, we run the snot out of the battery saws at work with great results. Grab one that can drive a 16" bar and chain combo as aggressively as a 261, and it'll be welcomed into the fleet.

The only reason I'm not adding an MSA220C to the fleet right now is there's no gap it fills, unless someone wants to buy our MSA200C saws (2 of them). If either of those puke and need 50% of the 220's price take, it's getting replaced with the 220.

Site Supporter
    There is definitely a place for battery chainsaws, especially the ones coming out now and in the next few years. Needing to make a few quick cuts and even some more than that or don't want the gas and oil in the the box of your SUV.

I am running 10 year old Dewalt cordless tools at my house and got new 20V stuff at work, it's a world of difference.

AKDoug set me up with some parts to put the newer air filter on my old 362, a project coming up in the next couple of days. I'll post pictures of that going down. This teleworking has me sharpening chain in between calls and emails. I got two more to go and the fleet will be ready for the season ahead.

User Tag List