View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 31 of 79 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Site Supporter
    I’m glad I checked the latest posts. I didn’t know stihl made a battery powered chainsaw. I wonder how it compares to a Milwaukee chainsaw?

Haven't read back through the whole thread, but IMHO the best value in a farm/ranch saw is the Echo CS-590. Check the specs and user reviews vs. Farm Boss & Rancher. I've run the stink out of mine for the past six years, and it's been utterly bulletproof.

Some have asked about training, and I fully concur that a hands-on course is the #1 preference. In its absence, Jeff Jepson's To Fell a Tree is inarguably the best print resource I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Uhhhh...Mastermind custom ported Husqvarna 550 XP Mk2 ordered. I feel like I ordered a custom gun Now, we wait for it to be built.

Attachment 49147

I've run one of those. It hauls the mail for sure. Mastermind knows what he's doing. I have a Kunz (Treemonkey) 441 and 461 they are fun, but I don't have big enough wood for them to really shine. My favorite two saws are my 241 and 261 Stihls. Eventually I might send them to Randy.

When you just gonna break down and buy a 372xp and be done with it?

😏

A couple thoughts on saws....

I have made a few mistakes on saws.

Speaking of Stihl, their professional line (like the 260, which I have, which is now a 261 and has gained a pound) is lighter than the occasional use ones, such as the FarmBoss (not sure of number) I bought a Farm Boss years ago, the salesman said the PRO line was unnecessary. Well the equivalent saws were about 1.5 or 2 pounds lighter in the pro line compared to the occasional or mid use line. I would have bought the PRO saw if I had understood that. BUT, they are more expensive. The 260 cuts like a ...insert whatever euphemism you want. It cuts whatever and quickly.

Small ECHO saws seem to be good saws. I have a 361P. It is light, and I got the 14" bar. It cuts very well for a small saw, and does nearly every thing I need done. I trim trees along field edges and clear some trees and brush in a pasture. I do not cut BIG trees. It will cut 10-12" stuff nicely. Keep the chain sharp. It is a miser with gas. I suspect that saw would cover most people's use. It is one of the more expensive of ECHO small saws.

I did have a carburetor problem with the 361. Took it back to dealer, no fix, and no interest in my problem. Took it to another dealer. No fix. I called ECHO. I was directed to take the saw back to the purchase dealer and that they would be expecting me. I received good service that time, and it was fixed. A few weeks later the ECHO distributor from Texas called me to see if I was satisfied. I was.

All saws can have problems- the Farm Boss I mentioned above also had a carb problem. Would not run well at high speed while cutting. Primary dealer adjusted it twice. No fix. I took it to another dealer who spent a few minutes with it and told me it had an air leak in the carb. He set it on the counter. I asked can you fix it. He said well I am sure Ronny will take care of you (dealer about 15 miles away I had bought it from). I told him I had been back twice to Ronny and he DID NOT take care of me and would he (the guy who figured it out) fix it. He seemed reluctant but fixed it. It was warranty, probably less than 2 months old. All dealers are not equal, but it is hard to tell on a walk through. Lebowski likes Husky. He probably has Husky support nearby. Nearby dealers are nice unless you JUST HAVE TO HAVE a certain saw. I suspect all brands have pro series which are more expensive but lighter, with better power/weight ratio. You just have to pay.

If you have a warranty problem push it to get fixed. Run ethanol free gas. When storing for a while drain gas and run the saw dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    When you just gonna break down and buy a 372xp and be done with it?

😏
    You buy it, I’ll run it

I’m hoping that a ported 550XP Mk2 punches above its weight class and we all know it will handle great.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I’m glad I checked the latest posts. I didn’t know stihl made a battery powered chainsaw. I wonder how it compares to a Milwaukee chainsaw?
    Depends on the saw. We have the 161T and the 200c (x2). They just released a 220c, which is the first battery saw that comes with a chain bigger than 1/4".

I'd go for the Stihl unit. The major electrical engineering side of things come from green works (Stihl owns about 30% of them), and Stihl's main focus is still on saws. Milwaukee keeps the same form factor for the batteries, and while yes they make great tools, they don't focus on saws.

Site Supporter
    If anybody else is at the Ohio ISA tree conference this week, let me know and we can grab lunch tomorrow.

Anyway, one of the biggest things I saw at the trade show from a low cost productivity level is Rock Exotica's Omniblock pullies.

I grabbed two of them, and for most folk's uses in here will make a lot of things easier. Redirecting a rig line to a truck, making a mechanical advantage system to help pull things over/around, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You buy it, I’ll run it

I’m hoping that a ported 550XP Mk2 punches above its weight class and we all know it will handle great.
    I haven’t seen you volunteering to cut firewood. I’ve got the 372 sitting there, along with a shiny new 100hp tractor for you to skid the logs with. What more do you want, a gold-plated invitation or something?

Site Supporter
    Name:  Tree Books.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  51.5 KB

The Jepson book is much better for the everyday guy. The Dent book was a revolution back in the day and that dude was an icon, be passed a few years back:

https://wildfiretoday.com/2012/03/23...glas-dent-rip/

User Tag List