View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So the big thing that sets the 362 above the 261 is the 60cc vs 45? Is there anything else that sets the "pro" line above the "homeowner" line?
    Rob, the 362 and 261 are both pro saws. The 251 you linked to is not. Just want to make sure that's clear.

The differences between the pro and homeowner lines in most lines are somewhat evident if you know what to look for. The chain-tightening system -- is it gimmicky or is it the standard one or two nuts with an adjusting screw? (Hint: gimmicks = not as reliable) The bar -- does it have a replaceable tip? Not that anyone replaces them anymore. The engine -- is it designed to be rebuilt easily? On the bigger saws -- is the air filter a flat screen or a foam-covered small automotive type filter? Look at the size of the bucking spikes, whether they're removable, and what they're made of. Is the crankcase visible and magnesium or is it hidden somewhere inside of all that plastic? Is the anti-vibe system a bunch of springs or is it rubber bushings? (Springs have started creeping into smaller pro saws, too, unfortunately.) What does the saw weigh compared to others in the lineup of the same engine size? Pro saws will nearly always, if not always, be lighter.

BTW, don't gloss over the saw's weight, especially if you don't run one every day. A heavy saw wears you out faster, and a worn-out person makes mistakes and takes shortcuts. I don't care how much of a man you think you are. I've never seen a professional arborist pick up a saw that was bigger than what they needed to do a job. The only people who enjoy running the really big saws, we're talking around and over 100cc, are pros who have other people watching them, and hobbyists. The 084's, 088's, and MS880's generally sit around and do nothing in the toolboxes of eastern arborists. They come out every now and then for huge maples and stump flush-cuts.

Back closer to the questions at hand. I've been away from the chainsaw market for a couple of years, but I've seen the Easy-Start feature you asked about break on a couple of smaller saws. If a person unfamiliar to it yanks on it like it's a regular saw, they can eventually screw up the clutch / spring / whatever system that's inside of it. And then you have nothing. I've retrofitted standard starter housings onto two Easy-Start saws for arborists. These were little non-pro MS192TC-E climbing saws that got started 50 times a day or more. Eventually they gave up the ghost.

None of the saws mentioned in this thread are hard to start with regular starters. The 362 probably even has a compression release, which is also unnecessary unless you're old and/or feeble. My 361 has a release, but starts quicker without using it.

The advice on non-ethanol and having spare chains is good. You can also buy ready-mixed fuel in sealed cans ... it's expensive but may be the best option for some. You're going to want to rotate your fuel out every so often if you keep pump gas around; not sure about the sealed stuff. Old fuel is *worse* for 2-strokes than ethanol.

One thing to be remembered is that the larger engine in a 362 is going to use correspondingly more fuel regardless of whether you're using the extra engine / bar capacity or not. This might matter in a situation where when you're out, you're out. A saw with a 16" bar is going to be good for a 32" tree ... not quickly, but it'll do it. If you have only softwoods around you and don't use your saw on any type of regular basis, I'd be tempted to err on the small engine side of the equation just for the economy concern. I've never cut Palms, so someone else is going to have to give recommendations on power requirements and how gummy they are.

Speaking of gumminess, you'll want to have some alcohol (not that kind) around if you're dealing with sappy trees like White Pines. It'll strip that sap off of both you and your saw like very little else will. Get a gallon and put it on a shelf somewhere; you can thank me later.

Forgot to add this in the above. If you have money laying around that you don't want to buy a family meal at the steakhouse with, you can invest it in a different length bar and associated chains than the one on your saw. I like to have a shorter-than-standard bar for certain of my saws (say, a 16" for the 361) which I'll put on when I need more power *or* when I know there's a chance I'll hit dirt or something embedded in the tree. Less bar length = less teeth to sharpen and less expense to replace the chain. If you want yet another bar, you can get a longer-than-standard and put a skip-tooth chain on it. This will cut slower than a regular chain but will give you additional capacity. Just take it easy on your engine with this setup. Skip-tooth chains also have less teeth to sharpen.
    Last edited by Welder; 09-14-2017 at 08:05 AM.

If you're OK with used stuff, Home Depot[/url] has a searchable site that will show you if they have a used/former rental Makita DCS6421 saw which is actually designed and made in Germany (Hamburg) Dolmar PS-6400 pro grade saw. Average price for one of these is around $276 in my area. It might need a new chain (they usually replace the chain after each rental) or in my saw's case; $10 worth of clutch springs that were replaced in less than a minute with my multitool. This option can save you $400 over another pro grade saw of the same displacement.

For lighter usage, the Dolmar 421 which sells as the Makita EA4300 is also available via the Home Depot used rental tools site, there is one near my area for $138! That's a pro grade 42CC saw that I also own. I recently loaned it to my neighbor (this spring). He had it for six months, never once even started it. I just got it back. On ethanol gas, it started on the second pull.

Another good option for Florida would be the new Makita/Dolmar EA3201SRBB which is a 32CC saw. Probably your best bet unless you take the plunge on a Home Depot used saw (I would, odds are against you having a major problem and the monetary savings is well worth it, plus the guys on chainsaw forums are extremely helpful).

I like Makita/Dolmar because they never let me down and they are pro grade saws at about 2/3s the price of Stihl/Husky pro grade saws. I bought my 421 new, after owning it a while, I had no qualms about buying a used 6400 sans warranty (Home Depot does offer a 30 day return on these used tools they sell).
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I was surprised to find that bars & chains for Stihl were cheaper at my local Ace Hardware than on fleabay or anywhere else I looked online.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I was surprised to find that bars & chains for Stihl were cheaper at my local Ace Hardware than on fleabay or anywhere else I looked online.
    I have an Ace near me that, prior to the hurricane, had a healthy selection. I intend to buy from them for a variety of reasons, so it's good to know the prices are typically good as well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

It sounds like maybe the 261 non-easy-start may be the best option for me in terms of balancing cost, weight, and use. I'm also trying to balance having enough saw when I need it, and a saw that will start, against over-buying for a once-or-twice-a-year use case.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have an Ace near me that, prior to the hurricane, had a healthy selection. I intend to buy from them for a variety of reasons, so it's good to know the prices are typically good as well.
    The Stihl stuff was kind of an aberration. If Home Depot or Lowe's has the exact same thing, the Ace will typically be ~50 percent or more higher. But this Ace is known in the area as a good store. They have their stuff together on stocking useful inventory, including a LOT of stuff the HD and Lowe's don't have and never will.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If you have an Everglades Farm Equipment near you I would strongly recommend them, especially over ace. I've purchased all my saws from them. Their prices were better and the staff knows more about the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

It sounds like maybe the 261 non-easy-start may be the best option for me in terms of balancing cost, weight, and use. I'm also trying to balance having enough saw when I need it, and a saw that will start, against over-buying for a once-or-twice-a-year use case.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed with either a 261 or a 362. The most important thing with keeping it reliable with minimal use is draining the fuel and running it dry after your last use. Chainsaws hate bad gas.

The 261 is a lot of saw in a small lightweight package and you can do a boat load of work with a 16" bar. My 261 wears a 16" and I regularly fell pretty good size trees with it, soft and hard wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    If you have an Everglades Farm Equipment near you I would strongly recommend them, especially over ace. I've purchased all my saws from them. Their prices were better and the staff knows more about the product.

Looks like google maps says there's one in Okeechobee and one in Ft Pierce, so not too bad.

I recommend buying from a locally owned dealer as opposed to a chain store. The chain store will outsource any repairs needed, the local dealer can do it right there.
    #RESIST

User Tag List