View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 53 of 79 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    How has your experience been with the leather mechanix gloves? I tried a pair of the “summer” version as wasn’t particularly impressed with their lifespan.

Attachment 62278

Then again gloves and lifespan is a constant battle...

I use the ones in the photo strictly for splitting and stacking, these are also the ones I use for wildland fire gloves. Just to note, I get these a size smaller than the others as they seem to stretch a bit. Those activities doesn't seen that hard on them. I use the leather Impact by Mechanix for running the saws, pulling ropes and chains, driving the tractor, etc. and they seem to last ok. I also run the synthetic Impacts at work for packing hose and other chores around the fire house/scene. There are more durable gloves out there and I have had a few that I have thrown/give away after the first use because of ill fitment. I would rather have a proper fitting glove that doesn't last that long vs. a pair I might get a few more uses, I guess it comes with the profession. My wife, as she looks over my shoulder, says I need to list the gloves I have in my boot locker, Structure fire gloves x 3, extrication x 3, work/chore x 2, wildland x 2, rope rescue x 3, water rescue x 2.... I think that is all. The ones I have 3 of, 1 pair is carried as a primary with 2 pairs in reserve. I find that the Mechanix brand sizing is repeatable and replaceable at any Lowes, Ace hardware and some of the chain autopart stores. Gloves are a wear item and are disposable.

I’ve been using the hell out of the Magpul gloves and they’re quite durable, a little hard to pull on quickly but fit perfectly.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If anyone has a line on a Dolmar 6400/7900/7910, holler. I know about the Home Depot rental ones for sale.
    Shiiii.... Between this thread, Buckin’ Billy Ray’s youtube channel, Sally, and now Zeta, I have pretty much settled on a Stihl MS 661. Only real questions now are the timing of this purchase and whether it is worth the premium for a Mastermind version.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! I need to spend more time in the GD section I guess.

Not a fan of gloves while splitting. While cleaning up and stacking I will usually use some of the spandex thin fabric gloves with the rubber gripper palms. I bought a case of bright orange ones off of Amazon that hold up pretty well during use.

I am a big fan of the Fiskars mauls, I even recently wrote a review of them here.

I didn't love the first X27 I bought. I even gave it away I was so turned off by it. The edge on mine chipped out very early on and it tended to bounce off of the big maple rounds I was splitting. I recently bought another one and I am warming back up to it. It will never be as nice in hand as a German made Helko or Oshenkopf but you can't beat the price or lack or felt virbration.

Regarding firewood saws, I used to be in the camp of the 50cc & 70cc saw plan. But now I think the best combo going is a battery powered saw in your preference of color with a 60cc saw with 20" bar and maybe a 75ish range saw too. I am running a Jonsered 2258 right now with 20" Tsumura bar and it is fantastic. I am a Stihl junkie though so I foresee a 362CM and a 462CM coming home sooner or later.

Battery powered saws are getting to be incredible tools. I recently hosted a comparison test between many of the major brands out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I
    Battery powered saws are getting to be incredible tools. I recently hosted a comparison test between many of the major brands out there.

THat's your website? Man there's a lot of great info there. Well done. You should put that in your sig and claim the association so we can find that place!

We just got wiped out by icepocalypse 1.0 for 2020, and while I don't have any tree damage that can't be handled with a small hand saw lots of friends and neighbors who could use a hand and I might get a saw because: excuse to buy tools. That's the best comparison I've found. I'm due to replace a very old Craftsman cordless tool fleet too.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Anyone interested in the Stihl MS500i?
    #RESIST

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Yeah. Everyone!

Straight unobtainium in Southern New England right now.

Warning! Gross graphic stuff ahead!

Dear Karma, you bitch
    Fuck you!
    CD

I poked fun at LittleLebowski for not wearing gloves and getting blisters and today karma got me.

I went over to my daughters place to get the last load of wood and cut the stump. I got it cut off at the dirt with no problems and was slowly splitting the butt piece down. I had split it in half and worked out a 1/4 and split the 1/4 into thirds and then a halved the thirds, to give an idea of size. I was down to half and a quarter and I moved the quarter away from the half enough for my wedge to free up. I reached in to get the wedge and the 1/4 rocked back pinching my right index finger between the wedge and the 1/2. I was very glad I was using the Fiskars because I had to use the handle to pry the pieces apart. Before I even pulled my glove off I new I was going at least to urgent care. At first look I thought the tip was going the way of the Dodo but after a good rinse and some direct pressure, the gaping coin purse, what my daughter called it, had come back together, a lot. She drove me to urgent care where the cleaned me up and stitched it back together the best they could. I really think if I did not have my gloves on I wouldn't have a finger tip right now.

The offending stump

Ouch!

Site Supporter
    Fuck yes, sort of.

August Hunicke just posted a video of it ripping a 36 bar with skip tooth chain through some dry white oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Yeah. Everyone!

Straight unobtainium in Southern New England right now.
    Available from Stihl NW in 25" light bar right now. Awful tempting, but I really don't need another saw even if I write it off as a demo for the shop. I'll video it if I decide to pick one up.

User Tag List