View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    @jeep45238 or anyone else, do you have any thoughts/concerns about differences between the double vs single nut vs Quick Tightening assemblies on the newer Stihls?
    That's more of a difference in often/long you'll be using it. You're seeing a difference in intended use cases if that's the focus point to be honest. The quicks can range up to moderate use, the singles are usually on small or top handle saws, and the doubles are on medium through large saws. The Pro series and quick saws feature retained hardware, the homeowner and farmboss saws use loose nuts that can be lost.

I've used them all, and the only real preference I have is that the hardware is retained, but it's not a necessity. The Still 251C and battery saws (had the plastic flapper, no scrench needed) were no more likely to come loose than a single nut, or a double, if the bar was properly set and the tension was correct for the saw.

I'm just a homeowner now, and my current saw is a battery unit that sets chain tension as you tighten the single hand-nut on the clutch cover. I would have liked a smaller saw to be truthful, but most of the ones have non-standard pitch/gauge combos that would have tied my hands in the future.

It balances well and cuts fine, even with a fiber/polymer drive sprocket (it's an e-Go, as I use their battery stuff for the yard gear I have).

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Well, that's that. Stihl is not going to do anything. The dealer is not going to do anything. A 572XP is $1200. Looks like I have to buy 60% of my MS462CM over again.

Guys, I appreciate the tips. I am not on twitter. I don't feel like wasting time hollering about it. Looks like it's time to eat it and move on. I will say that this experience will heavily influence my future buying decisions. I will be trying Husqvarna for my equipment needs next. I could not support Stihl in good conscious going forward.

I feel bad because I recommended the MS462CM to a friend, so he bought one when his MS391 got straight gassed. He cut one tree and it would not start again. He took it in and they found a faulty decompression valve. Easy fix and he is up and going, but still not the kind of performance you would expect from a top-of-the-line professional saw.

I may still buy a full wrap 572XP with a 28. Does anyone have experience with that saw?
    I got busy and forgot to update this.
    I purchased an OEM cylinder and piston kit and installed it, along with a West Coast Saws Bark Box and felling dogs. The 462 has been running great since. Still not happy Stihl did that to me, but it's a great saw when it works. It sounds a hell of a lot better now too.

The MS261CM continues to plug along with 100% reliability. I put a full chisel chain on it and really like the way it bucks. It's the Glock of chainsaws, in my world.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Did I mention earlier that I picked up this small electric saw a few months ago?

I've only run it a few hours so far, cutting small limbs and a shrub for a neighbor... Works great.
    I was surprised at how well it cut and the battery charges have lasted reasonably well. Enough for my needs, anyway.

I'm still not an electric saw fan for felling or bucking, but, this thing gives me some hope.

Charge battery, add bar oil, cut. No drama so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8H9LL2Y/

Attachment 113805
    Sunday was Crepe Murder day here.... Every 2 years I hack back the Crepe Myrtles in the front of the house. If I let them grow taller than the house, all of their debris blows into the pool. We have 2... An older one that we planted almost 20 years ago and another that's been around for about 6-7 years.

After eyeing up the smaller one, I grabbed this saw out of the garage and gave it a try... I put the partly used battery in, wiped it clean and oiled the bar and 15 minutes later the tree was tamed. I trimmed the bigger one with the gas saw, but, after dragging the cuttings to the brush pile, I used this little saw to limb the branches and flatten the pile of cuttings. The battery didn't show any signs of giving out, so, I just cleaned it and put it all back in the case.

Still pretty happy with this little saw.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

-Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    OSHA just had an aneurysm.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    OSHA just had an aneurysm.
    Then again:

Less back strain, more upright posture
    Further away from sharp rotating bits
    Less chance of kickback

Site Supporter
    Just an update. I finally purchased a MS-251 Woodboss when I was told the prices would increase after January. I was waffling between that and the 271 (exactly $100 more). Ace hardware had a promotion on the 271,291, and 331s for the saw and free accessories- a spare chain, hat, and a plastic storage case. I went in fully intending to get the 271 as I was interested in getting the case anyway (a $78 value). I started by talking to the Stihl rep and explaining my novice experience and property to get his recommendations, he said he’d put together a package regardless of which saw I got and actually talked me into the 251 vice the 271. For $360 including taxes which the mil discount negated! So I feel like I got a pretty decent deal - they had the saw for $40 cheaper than any other dealer, and threw in about $160 in accessories. I even very much like the hat!

ETA - while it’s standard for dealers to double the warranty if you buy Stihl fuel-oil, they also filled the tanks up with Motomix and bar oil so I could get to work as soon as I left the store.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Just an update. I finally purchased a MS-251 Woodboss when I was told the prices would increase after January. I was waffling between that and the 271 (exactly $100 more). Ace hardware had a promotion on the 271,291, and 331s for the saw and free accessories- a spare chain, hat, and a plastic storage case. I went in fully intending to get the 271 as I was interested in getting the case anyway (a $78 value). I started by talking to the Stihl rep and explaining my novice experience and property to get his recommendations, he said he’d put together a package regardless of which saw I got and actually talked me into the 251 vice the 271. For $360 including taxes which the mil discount negated! So I feel like I got a pretty decent deal - they had the saw for $40 cheaper than any other dealer, and threw in about $160 in accessories. I even very much like the hat!

ETA - while it’s standard for dealers to double the warranty if you buy Stihl fuel-oil, they also filled the tanks up with Motomix and bar oil so I could get to work as soon as I left the store.
    That sounds like you have a pretty good dealer. Congrats on the new saw! I'm sure it will do great for you.

Re: the two-stroke oil, I know this is counterintuitive, but you might consider running something other than the Stihl Ultra (in the silver bottle). I ran that $tuff for years before stumbling over this guy. Been watching his channel for a while. Seems legit. Long story, short, I'm running VP Racing fuel oil currently. This seems to be a pretty good oil. Here is a bit of a summary which might save you some time.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    I’ve pulled apart a couple of saws that ran Ultra and they were dry with carbon buildup in the exhaust.

I run Amsoil Saber and use a ratio rite. Pick up some octane booster as well. Auto parts stores will have it.

What's the general consensus on 60-70cc saws for running a 28" bar? The 20" bar on my 50cc Husqvarna is great for small jobs but is tedious when bucking big Fir logs into rounds for firewood. I've got a great local dealer that carries both Stihl and Husqvarna so I'm fine with buying either brand.

User Tag List