Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK with their backwards bullets...

HK with their backwards bullets...

Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    How does one look through the wrong end of a scope and not realize something is wrong?!

Is someone deliberately trying to destroy the credibility of our military?

We are in deep trouble.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

@TGS, @Le Français, and I were discussing this photo a few days ago. I’m not familiar with Navy ranks but TGS said the yellow stitching on the bill of the cap indicates the sailor is a Captain (O-6). He’s probably not been trained on a rifle in a couple of decades because that’s not really his job. We were wondering if some disgruntled subordinates mounted the optic backwards to embarrass him.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Nah, it's not that deep. The "CO shoots a carbine" thing was staged by the ship's PAO or XO. The CO was probably shooting at the ocean.

One of the gunner's mates decided to have a little fun at the CO's expense. They'll regret it during their 30 day restriction (plus loss of half their pay for two months and a bust down a pay grade).

Beyond that, small arms aren't really the Navy's thing.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    How does one look through the wrong end of a scope and not realize something is wrong?!

Is someone deliberately trying to destroy the credibility of our military?

We are in deep trouble.
    Quite the opposite -- shows how the Navy understands the importance of target focus!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm giving the captain the benefit of the doubt and saying he's using it as an OEG.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Don't know what Navy you were in...most sailors I've seen had very small arms.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Nobody is going to mention the hand on the shoulder...

I actually have a pic or two from years ago, letting some Brit regular Army woman fire one of our M4s in select fire mode, when we were at a British air station for a while getting re-established. We took a little bit of time to do some PR with the local troops.

I had to control her (and others) much the same way. Literally taking them by the shoulders to get them to not point weapons in dangerous directions. Plus when they fired the weapons, making sure they did not allow the muzzle to go wildly out of control, which initially a few did.

OOF.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Don't know what Navy you were in...most sailors I've seen had very small arms.
    (prime opportunity for my favorite gif ever)

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Gun nerd thought was: "Interesting, haven't seen a VCOG on anything but an IAR at this point. And on a Mk18 marked lower too."
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Nah, it's not that deep. The "CO shoots a carbine" thing was staged by the ship's PAO or XO. The CO was probably shooting at the ocean.

One of the gunner's mates decided to have a little fun at the CO's expense. They'll regret it during their 30 day restriction (plus loss of half their pay for two months and a bust down a pay grade).

That's pretty much what I thought. With the backwards scope, the handguard installed incorrectly, and VFG close enough to the magwell as to be pretty much useless . . . it made me think that rifle was drawn from the arms room just for some photo op and not even checked out. I could swear I remember hearing stories from guys that were in saying that rifles that were anything more than bog-standard M16A2s or M4s had to be stored in non-standard configurations due to how the racks are set up in arms rooms or that, if they had been back to Crane for Depot level maintenance, they were returned to the ship/unit a certain way (scopes backwards/in the wrong location, BUIS in the wrong spot, etc.) so that an armorer has to go and set the rifle back for the end user. I could well see it being the case that this rifle was just grabbed out of the lockup for a photo op and no one gave any thought to it’s condition and someone is gonna get smoked for that.

The Navy took that post down about an hour after I saw it. I figured there was definitely an “all hands” meeting or two or four somewhere in the Navy to discuss this. And it was one of those long meetings held with angry higher-ups and without the benefit of getting your coffee beforehand.

I will say one thing. Every time I see some retired officer get on TV or social media and spout of a really bad take on the second amendment or gun control, this is exactly the type of stuff I think of. Not really a professional in arms, more a politician that gets his required quals in (maybe, if he doesn’t have them pencil whipped) and gets a few pictures to show off later as his “bonafides” in the subject.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List