View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 65 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Having a hard time resisting the buy now in this thing. Refurbished Milwaukee M18 for $220 shipped.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/294837708942
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Oh, and a full wrap is absolutely necessary. It's great for felling, but it's mandatory for limbing a 100-foot spruce.

I had to cut up a maple and a beech the storms knocked down in the yard. Here is the 572 after I added the full wrap kit from Husqvarna and light weight bar. The kit comes with the full wrap handle, large felling dogs and clutch cover. It is a nice upgrade.

this is the bar Amazon.com: Husqvarna Genuine 599656784 X-Tough Light 24" RSN Bar 3/8" .050" 84DL XTL-380-84 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Handle kit Amazon.com : Husqvarna Genuine 579504001 Handle Wrap Kit Fits 572XP OEM : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I had to cut up a maple and a beech the storms knocked down in the yard. Here is the 572 after I added the full wrap kit from Husqvarna and light weight bar. The kit comes with the full wrap handle, large felling dogs and clutch cover. It is a nice upgrade.

this is the bar Amazon.com: Husqvarna Genuine 599656784 X-Tough Light 24" RSN Bar 3/8" .050" 84DL XTL-380-84 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Handle kit Amazon.com : Husqvarna Genuine 579504001 Handle Wrap Kit Fits 572XP OEM : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Damn, that’s a nice looking setup.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Having a hard time resisting the buy now in this thing. Refurbished Milwaukee M18 for $220 shipped.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/294837708942
    I’ve got one, I like it. It’s a little finicky about cutting angles (chain jumps off the bar easy), but it’s a fine tool. Milwaukee just released a purpose built case for it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post

That is a badass setup. I am amazed that the kit offered by Husky is so cheap. The Stihl full wrap was four times that and didn't come with dogs or a clutch cover.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’ve got one, I like it. It’s a little finicky about cutting angles (chain jumps off the bar easy), but it’s a fine tool. Milwaukee just released a purpose built case for it.
    The chain jumps off because they come with an .043 narrow kerf. If you go back a bit in this thread, I posted the specs on a replacement bar and chain that'll eliminate this problem AND give you non-safety options. 🙂

Well that’s… weird

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Ran when parked: Husky model 61 and other vintage saws

My dad has an old model Husky model 61 chain saw. The serial number starts with 1983, and that's about when I remember it joining the family. I do remember that he bought it new. We heated with wood back in the day, so it saw some use, but nothing like professional duty. It hasn't run in many years, probably 30 or so.

I dumped what was in the tank, poured in some fresh premix, and threw in a new plug. It pulls over with good compression, and I got it to pop a few times, but not run. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do more than that.

The saw has a McCulloch chain file guide in a box and a new, unused 0-380-84-3/8, 24-inch OE Husky bar from the era. There's a chain that appears to be about the right length for that bar. The bar that's on it is a 20 incher.

I know nothing about it. Are carb rebuild kits still available for saws of that era? It seemed to be a great saw back in the day, but do they have enough performance that anyone would still want it? I have a perfectly good MS200t that meets all my chainsaw needs and more, so I'm really looking for a direction in trying to sell it locally here in western Washington.

There's also an old Pioneer limbing saw with about a 14- or 16-inch bar that ran great when I last used it about 30 years ago, but couldn't get anything out of it this week. Had good compression, but I'm guessing the carb is glued shut. It appears to be older than the Husky. Wondering whether any chainsaw nerd would be interested in it because it's vintage.

Just hoping for some advice from the pros on this.

Name:  PXL_20220914_005551815.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  PXL_20220914_005600932.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2975.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  76.3 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Not sure about that Husky, but the Pioneer? Oh yeah, there is interest. Saws are like guns - plenty of nerds collecting. Noodle around on a couple of saw forums like https://opeforum.com or https://www.arboristsite.com/forums/chainsaw.9/. Buckin' Billy Ray on YT will occasionally break a Pioneer. Hell, he might buy the thing from you.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    After 4 months of letting the logs sit to dry, I tried splitting the tree we had removed from too close to the house. First swing, solid overhead hit, I buried a 4 pound axe only about half way. Got it stuck so bad I had to pound it with a small sledge to split the log. Split the next log with a maul. Then gave up (too hot here still).

Not sure what the guy said the tree was. Looked like a Post Oak from the outside, but with smaller leaves. And the fresh cut logs were orange inside (definitely not an Osage... no fruit on this tree). The dry wood is dense and white (slight orange tint) with a very straight grain.

I'll need to wait until it cools off a bit to split the rest.... probably close to a half cord once it's split.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List