View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 50 of 79 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Frankly, if you've got to think about how to approach this particular one, hire a pro to do it. It is way cheaper and easier than messing up.
    Noted, thank you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    On another, much more mundane, note does anyone else hate cutting stumps flush with the ground? I cut a pecan stump while ago. Conservatively 24” across and probably closer to 30”. Man it just sucks. Seems hard on the saw (hot) and hard on the guy running the saw - and this was with plenty of wedges. Am I missing some trick?
    If you don't have enough saw, it can be a pain, but that's not a huge stump...I was "in charge" of felling the logs and flush cuts because I was the company's ground man (which means low man on the totem pole FYI); the things that help most on the flush cut are a saw that oils well because your bar is completely buried, and a good sharp chain that doesn't lead off to the side. If your chain is junk, you'll end up making a spiral cut instead of a clean cut which meets as you bring it around (assuming the cut is deeper than your bar length allows).

I like to get the bar good and buried, then work the bar and powerhead evenly around the stump. I'll use wedges if necessary, or sometimes just little pieces of twigs and bark instead. Having dogs on your chain cover is a big help with the flush cut, or at least big dogs on the chaincase side. Tiny dogs on the chaincase side often are of zero use on a flush cut; they're touching nothing but air. I just use the dogs to keep steady pressure; I don't use them to load the saw down hard.

Another thing to remember is that there's a lot of dirt embedded in the wood down close to the ground, not to mention there could be rocks and stuff hiding in amongst the rootball. I always clean the entire way around with my hand / glove, and try to keep the bar above any area that had dirt on it before I wiped it down. As soon as the bar touches dirt, you've got a dull chain that won't cut OR will lead off and produce a curved / spiral cut. If this happens, stop and fix it with your file or swap chains.

Heh, yeah, I think it is/was a combination of all that. A saw with a little too much chain to start with - but not enough bar to cut the stump in one swipe, dogs that were not always getting a bite, and a somewhat dirty stump that didn’t give the chain a lot of love. All that and probably some lack of skill on my part. It probably didn’t help that is was hot as piss outside along with the hot exhaust from the saw coming off the stump and more or less back into my face. Good times.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    ....a somewhat dirty stump that didn’t give the chain a lot of love....
    Dirt can be really frustrating; it takes almost zero dirt to take the edge off of some cutters, and you think it'll be fine, I'll just power through it, and it never works out well. I've learned to be religious about my chains not touching even a speck of dirt.

Talking about stumps, I once flushed a 6' diameter silver maple using a Stihl MS192T (that's a top-handle pruning saw with a 12" bar if anybody's wondering). At no point was the bar buried; the maple was that hollow. That was a bucket truck and crane job, because no climber in their right mind was going up in that tree and you certainly couldn't use the tree itself as an anchor point for lowering brush.

Not sure of the brand but looks like it handles g-forces pretty well

Cut 14 tractor bucket loads ( New Holland 5010, 62 hp , 4 cylinder diesel) of wood. Used my Stihl MS 660 100 cc saw, 25" bar, Stihl full chisel chain. Love that saw.

Having trouble with pics.
    Last edited by 1slow; 10-13-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Not sure of the brand but looks like it handles g-forces pretty well

https://youtu.be/Wmo91CRSBIc
    That's just crazy.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Talk to me about the 576XP.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Talk to me about the 576XP.
    Now I'm leaning towards a good deal on a Dolmar 7900.
    #RESIST

I got a little too carried away splitting manually with a maul... oh well, that’s how we get proper callouses.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  86.5 KB
    #RESIST

User Tag List