View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 60 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Actual forestry cutters run thicker shafts and better locking mechanisms for a reason. Be careful with that - you don't want it coming loose under use at shin height.
    I have a Stihl blade on a Stihl's largest string trimmer, just shy of a real brushcutter. I check the Jesus nut everytime I use it. I don't stock a lot of spare parts but the Jesus nut is one of them.

We've personally tested what happens when the blade nut comes off a trimmer and it's not nearly as dramatic as you think. By the time the nut has come lose, there is no longer friction to drive the blade, the blade basically just comes to a stop LONG before the nut can come off. Also, because of the thread direction it's virtually impossible for the nut to walk off.

Anyway... back to chainsaws. I carry my MS241 on in a scabbard on the back of my snowmobile. It's gotten a lot of use this winter due to spruce bark beetles killing all the spruce in my area. Lots of blow down. I broke the strap holding it in the scabbard and ejected it somewhere on the trail. I back tracked over 20 miles looking for it, but was running out of gas. Luckily there was a dog sled race going on at the same time and one of the mushers picked it up. The race marshal got a hold of me and said they had it after I let them know it was missing a couple hours before. There are good people in this world and I hooked up the musher with a $100 gift card.

Name:  saw.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  45.3 KB

Yes getting back to chainsaws, is the Echo 501p worthy? Looked at one yesterday engine is in the 50cc range and it is much less $$$ than a Stihl MS261. Is the old saying ya get what ya pay for appropriate here

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Yes getting back to chainsaws, is the Echo 501p worthy? Looked at one yesterday engine is in the 50cc range and it is much less $$$ than a Stihl MS261. Is the old saying ya get what ya pay for appropriate here
    It hits a lot of the same features, and similar weight with a proper .325 chain for that sized saw.

If you aren't making a living with it, I'd certainly give it an honest shake.

Site Supporter
    I finally broke down and bought a reconditioned Milwaukee M18 Fuel chainsaw. At $199 and me owning 15 or 20 batteries that'll fit it, I figured I really should go ahead. My experiences with saws with .043 chains is that you constantly fight chain stretch, but we'll see...once I wear out the Oregon one it came with, maybe I'll get one made up with some Stihl yellow-label if they make it in .043 and if the saw seems worth using.

I'll report back whenever I actually use it, which could be a month or could be a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I finally broke down and bought a reconditioned Milwaukee M18 Fuel chainsaw. At $199 and me owning 15 or 20 batteries that'll fit it, I figured I really should go ahead. My experiences with saws with .043 chains is that you constantly fight chain stretch, but we'll see...once I wear out the Oregon one it came with, maybe I'll get one made up with some Stihl yellow-label if they make it in .043 and if the saw seems worth using.

I'll report back whenever I actually use it, which could be a month or could be a year.
    Stihl only makes a green chain in .043. You have to jump up to .050 to get into yellow.

Site Supporter
    Needed a saw to prune some limbs around the yard and do some clean up at the hunting property. Ive always been and axe, lopper, and bow saw guy. Picked up a Stihl 250 today based upon the recommendations of the dealer for my occasional use. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Had to hunt around to find one as they seem in high demand and low supply!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Since this is where the tree people are, I thought I'd ask.

I bought a big Silky BigBoy hand saw based on the earlier discussion, and it is awesome. Contemplating a PocketBoy for doing cleaner work on small stuff.

I've been giving my Corona pole pruner a workout. It's OK, gets the job done. Took the saw blade off it a long time ago, because the pruner is frequently unusable with the saw getting in the way. Made a couple cuts with the blade this weekend. It sau-huuckked. The saw blade isn't great, and having the pruner getting in the way and adding weight made it fairly unpleasant. Not to mention, the flex in the upper section of the telescoping Corona pole made it a PITA to keep things steered right.

Recently saw a crew doing some work. They had what looked like the Jameson yellow pole handles. I like the segmented blade, because everything stays nice and stiff, and when you only need the length of one segment, you only have the weight of one segment. And all segments are full stiffness. The blade had sharpened hooks at each end for rapidly trimming twigs. I see Jameson makes one like that, but Silky also has the Hayauchi blade:

https://www.amazon.com/SILKY-Replace...dp/B0014C4QA8/

I like the way a Silky saw blade cuts. So I'm thinking just grab a couple Jameson poles...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jameson-...-2PK/303890123

...this SherrillTree adapter saw head...

https://www.amazon.com/SherrillTree-...dp/B075WDMZ7N/

...and the Silky blade above for a brew-my-own system.

Am I making this too hard, or do I have it all figured out?

As of yesterday, I'm done with major pruning for this year. But when it's time again, I want the best tools to git 'er done.
    Figured I'd update. I did put this combination together this year, and it is pretty impressive. Trees are looking good. Hoping they didn't take too much damage in the freeze.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post

I’ve been lusting after one of these since they came out. Same as you, tons of batteries already on hand. I missed a Black Friday deal on them last year. Where’d you get your reconditioned?

I’m anxious to hear your experience with it. In my case I’d be coming from a corded electric POS that i basically use once a year to cut up Xmas trees,haha. But I have an old cedar playground that’s rotting and needs to (a) come down and (f) be choooed up into burning wood for next season...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Definitely more power then my old Husky. Hopefully it will cover my needs. 501p/18"
    Attachment 68599

User Tag List