View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    When I first started using the saw, it left puddles where I set it.
    I assume every saw I have leaks oil just sitting there. All the truck tool boxes and storage boxes has cardboard down to absorb the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I assume every saw I have leaks oil just sitting there. All the truck tool boxes and storage boxes has cardboard down to absorb the oil.

According to my Husky dealer/mechanic, the automatic oiler in theses saws do not have any valves or checks to stop the flow of oil. A change in the barometric pressure or temperature increase can make the oil run out. To combat this is to drain the oil out when storing or deal with the mess. My 350 is really bad for this.

Site Supporter
    Every time I see this thread, I remember that it used to be gay. PC?

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Every time I see this thread, I remember that it used to be gay. PC?

You mean its not? Who knew...

The 462 did not burn through the tank of oil before it ran out of gas yesterday. Hardly a fair test, as it was 18 degrees. I had to turn it up to the factory stop to keep it oiling properly.

The trees we were felling were no larger than 14", so I used the 261 to drop them, then used the 462 for bucking and buzzing the stumps off just above the ground.

Had a bit of an audience for a while. The suburbanite deer don't seem to mind the racket at all.

Name:  IMG_4667.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  40.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    The 462 did not burn through the tank of oil before it ran out of gas yesterday. Hardly a fair test, as it was 18 degrees. I had to turn it up to the factory stop to keep it oiling properly.

The trees we were felling were no larger than 14", so I used the 261 to drop them, then used the 462 for bucking and buzzing the stumps off just above the ground.

Had a bit of an audience for a while. The suburbanite deer don't seem to mind the racket at all.

Name:  IMG_4667.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  40.4 KB
    https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oi...interchainoil/

Chainsaw Shopping; looked @ the Stihl MAS 220 + 300as battery + charger + tax easily over $700. Very much liked the saw and its features meaning no noise, fumes, and pull starting. What I can not seem to get past is the price this saw package costs, for less money the model 261 with decompression starting and pull string absorbing starting system has more power then I could ever have a need for. My current needs are clearing 1.5 acres of heavily over grown land with mature oaks and pines, then just occasional firewood cutting yearly. One thing my experience over the years has taught me that there is nothing worse then not having enough saw for the cutting, so will the battery saw fall into that category? Giving this thread a kick to see what opinions from the more experienced wood cutters may have.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Chainsaw Shopping; looked @ the Stihl MAS 220 + 300as battery + charger + tax easily over $700. Very much liked the saw and its features meaning no noise, fumes, and pull starting. What I can not seem to get past is the price this saw package costs, for less money the model 261 with decompression starting and pull string absorbing starting system has more power then I could ever have a need for. My current needs are clearing 1.5 acres of heavily over grown land with mature oaks and pines, then just occasional firewood cutting yearly. One thing my experience over the years has taught me that there is nothing worse then not having enough saw for the cutting, so will the battery saw fall into that category? Giving this thread a kick to see what opinions from the more experienced wood cutters may have.
    I have not used any battery saws. Watching all the arborist/chainsaw You Tube I can tells me battery saws have come a long way as that arborists are starting to use them more and more and be pretty happy with how they perform.

That being said the power needed will depend on the size of the wood you need to cut and to some extend the species - hard vs soft. Also very much depends on keeping your chain sharp and out of the dirt. Proper sharpening and adjustment of the depth gauges is the most critical thing.

It is hard to gauge what you need to do exactly but if you are running saw less that 2 hours a week. I would think you would be fine. I have been clearing about 2 acres of my property for the last 7 years. I have made 135 piles of brush and small trees. Probably 10 cords of wood out of it. I’ve got probably another 25 piles to go before it is fire safe and park like. Piles average 5 feet by 5 feet but have been car sized. I’ve been using a 362 and moved up to 28 inch bar light. It only really runs well with skip tooth chain.

Something that has helped a lot was investing in a brush cutter. No more chain sawing on my knees and production is great. I like the work and it keeps me active. If I had to do it again in 5 years I’d have a Hispanic Forestry Crew come through and hand pile it. I know commercial thinning rates are running $500 an acre, maybe my land would be 2 to 3 k but it would just be done and I would pursue other hobbies.

From Cookie Monster,
    "Something that has helped a lot was investing in a brush cutter. No more chain sawing on my knees and production is great. I like the work and it keeps me active. If I had to do it again in 5 years I’d have a Hispanic Forestry Crew come through and hand pile it. I know commercial thinning rates are running $500 an acre, maybe my land would be 2 to 3 k but it would just be done and I would pursue other hobbies.

After seeing a YT video with this blade in action it was only a Prime click away. Did a little test skirting around some oak trees, excellent fast cutting hopefully i can add long lasting. (Echo PAS-266)

Attachment 67706Attachment 67707

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    From Cookie Monster,
    "Something that has helped a lot was investing in a brush cutter. No more chain sawing on my knees and production is great. I like the work and it keeps me active. If I had to do it again in 5 years I’d have a Hispanic Forestry Crew come through and hand pile it. I know commercial thinning rates are running $500 an acre, maybe my land would be 2 to 3 k but it would just be done and I would pursue other hobbies.

After seeing a YT video with this blade in action it was only a Prime click away. Did a little test skirting around some oak trees, excellent fast cutting hopefully i can add long lasting. (Echo PAS-266)

Attachment 67706Attachment 67707
    Actual forestry cutters run thicker shafts and better locking mechanisms for a reason. Be careful with that - you don't want it coming loose under use at shin height.

User Tag List