View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    The pump gas I run is 90 octane (or thereabouts). What are octane rating are you shooting for with the additive?
    I can only find 89 non ethanol so I double the octane boost now.

When I didn’t live in a communist state - I got 91 and added hoping for 93 or 95. VP makes a high performance pre-mix at 95 octane.

I am complusive and trying to get folks to say oh damn when I drop the saw into a buck.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Seeing as Im a homeowner and would only realistically be using the saw a handful of times a year, I got a gallon of Motomix as they had it 50% off. I already had a six-pack of Husqvarna 40:1 mix oil. My plan was to use the oil when working the saw and store it dry after burning some Motomix through it. The dealer seems to think highly of the Motomix for sitting long term.

So stay away from the ultra? Is the Ultra the same as Motomix?
    I would think the premix uses the Stihl oils but I am not positive.

The Motomix has a stabilizer so the dealer thinks it is suitable to store for long term in the tank.

I use Stabile or Amsoil stabilizer when I mix gas.

It probably doesn’t matter, locally Motomix for me is $50 a gallon.

If you are using less than 5 gallons a year, premix is probably simpler. If you ramp up I would recommend buying mix oil by the quart or gallon, using a ratio rite, and mixing your own fuel to save cash, have better saw performance, and longer saw life. I also know I am not right about everything but this is where my experience has evolved me to.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    What's the general consensus on 60-70cc saws for running a 28" bar? The 20" bar on my 50cc Husqvarna is great for small jobs but is tedious when bucking big Fir logs into rounds for firewood. I've got a great local dealer that carries both Stihl and Husqvarna so I'm fine with buying either brand.
    My first thought was a Stihl 362. But my Stihl 462 1/2 wrap is the same weight.

If you got Husky’s I would stick with Husky. I have found auto-tune saws to just be easier.

I just got a few older Husky’s they have been great.

In the recent years it has been easier for me to get lightweight Stihl bars.

28 inch bars provide good reach but I have found true stand up and buck with a 32 inch bar and I am only 5’8”.

Though my go to bucking firewood saw is a hopped up 661 with a 28 inch bar and skip tooth chain with depth gauges set at 0.050” instead of the stock 0.025”. But at 90cc, it’s a saw I gotta start on the ground.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 02-19-2024 at 10:24 PM.

User Tag List