View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 74 of 79 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    So I think I’m replacing the sprocket/clutch basket on my Stihl. I’m a newb wrt chainsaws. Go with the OEM parts, or is there an aftermarket brand we trust? The clutch itself is working, just a worn sprocket.

If the sprocket is made on to the clutch, oem. If it's a rim sprocket Oregon is fine. Sprockets, both types, are wear items and is good to have an extra on hand along with the other bits and pieces. I've dropped clips and bearings in the field and they never been seen again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Go ahead and spring for this tube of grease (probably a lifetime+ supply) and grease the needle bearing under the sprocket. As I think of it, if you've worn out the sprocket, might not be a bad idea to replace the needle bearing as well. That bearing rides on the end of the crankshaft. @Cookie Monster might have some more, or better, thoughts on this. Go OEM on the needle bearing.
    I am in full support. You might as well get a spare e-clip as well, those mofo’s can go flying into another dimension like a Glock firing pin spring.

My saws are low to moderate use, every few years I will replace the needle bearing, tank vent, spark plug, fuel filter, and oem air filter in a winter clean/maintenance if I am still using it on the saw (majority of my saws now run oiled air filters - maxflow or red beard saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I am in full support. You might as well get a spare e-clip as well, those mofo’s can go flying into another dimension like a Glock firing pin spring.

My saws are low to moderate use, every few years I will replace the needle bearing, tank vent, spark plug, fuel filter, and oem air filter in a winter clean/maintenance if I am still using it on the saw (majority of my saws now run oiled air filters - maxflow or red beard saws.
    How do you remove the clutch? Rope in combustion chamber? There are lots of videos on how, but what is good and does not damage the saw? Thank you..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    How do you remove the clutch? Rope in combustion chamber? There are lots of videos on how, but what is good and does not damage the saw? Thank you..
    It took me a second.

Most of my saws are newer Stihl pro saws which have the sprocket outboard - no need to remove the clutch. Pop off the eclip with a carb screw driver and remove a washer and sprocket.

I just cleaned up and maintained some old Huskies I found in a shed at work - a 395, two 288, a 272, and a 266.

I used an impact with a 19mm socket to remove the bolt. It is reverse thread and I did remove the spark plug and stuffed a clean rope into the cylinder before hitting it with the impact. I learned it from a You Tube video.

Well, looks like the milwaukee leaks

Name:  IMG_2429.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  52.0 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    So should I go 251 or pay the extra $90 for the 271? And after that, Im confused by all the different models. Farm/Wood Boss or regular MS? Any experience with the Quick Chain Adjustment system vs single bar nut vs double?

Finally decided against the Milwaukee in favor of the Stihl. Apparently, there’s concern about overheating the batteries unless you’re using the 12.0 ahr batteries. Which I don’t have. By the time I get the kit with the battery and charger im deep in gas saw territory. What seals it is how quickly they lose charge. A main usage for me is storm cleanup. When I may not have power.

Site Supporter
    Did I mention earlier that I picked up this small electric saw a few months ago?

I've only run it a few hours so far, cutting small limbs and a shrub for a neighbor... Works great.
    I was surprised at how well it cut and the battery charges have lasted reasonably well. Enough for my needs, anyway.

I'm still not an electric saw fan for felling or bucking, but, this thing gives me some hope.

Charge battery, add bar oil, cut. No drama so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8H9LL2Y/

Name:  Saw.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  57.7 KB
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 01-11-2024 at 05:45 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Did I mention earlier that I picked up this small electric saw a few months ago?

I've only run it a few hours so far, cutting small limbs and a shrub for a neighbor... Works great.
    I was surprised at how well it cut and the battery charges have lasted reasonably well. Enough for my needs, anyway.

I'm still not an electric saw fan for felling or bucking, but, this thing gives me some hope.

Charge battery, add bar oil, cut. No drama so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8H9LL2Y/

Name:  Saw.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  57.7 KB
    I actually need a saw like that and I was looking at Milwaukee but the cost of batteries and a charger killed that. I ordered this. I have to saw some small limbs that this should work on when I don’t want to run the gas saw. Thanks for the link! And PF costs me money yer again. LOL
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

So should I go 251 or pay the extra $90 for the 271? And after that, Im confused by all the different models. Farm/Wood Boss or regular MS? Any experience with the Quick Chain Adjustment system vs single bar nut vs double?

Finally decided against the Milwaukee in favor of the Stihl. Apparently, there’s concern about overheating the batteries unless you’re using the 12.0 ahr batteries. Which I don’t have. By the time I get the kit with the battery and charger im deep in gas saw territory. What seals it is how quickly they lose charge. A main usage for me is storm cleanup. When I may not have power.
    I had a farm boss. The dealer said it was popular. The professional line- at that time a 260, now is a 261, was comparable. The 260 was lighter. I personally would choose the professional line. That 260 is nice. Whatever you get take care of it, either drain the tank and run it dry or run it monthly and keep fresh fuel- 6 weeks or less. I’ll occasionally go 8 weeks, but I use Stabil in all my small engine gas. And no ethanol premium gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    I had a farm boss. The dealer said it was popular. The professional line- at that time a 260, now is a 261, was comparable. The 260 was lighter. I personally would choose the professional line. That 260 is nice. Whatever you get take care of it, either drain the tank and run it dry or run it monthly and keep fresh fuel- 6 weeks or less. I’ll occasionally go 8 weeks, but I use Stabil in all my small engine gas. And no ethanol premium gas.

+1 on a 261. Heck of a saw. If I had to choose only one saw to keep, it would be that one.

User Tag List