View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 57 of 79 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post

Left Pair - Geier Glove Company - 748 American Bison Leather - USA Made in Centralia WA

Right Pair - Geier Glove Company - 441 Rough Out Elkskin Suede - USA Made in Centralia WA

Fuck those big box store gloves.
    Thanks for the heads up on these gloves. I'm trying to decide if my customer base will pay the $$ for these gloves. I think I'll order a pair from one of the online retailers and give them a go.

This popped up in my YouTube recommendations. Classic. Especially the one that catches fire.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    This popped up in my YouTube recommendations. Classic. Especially the one that catches fire.

At least the first guy knew what was going to happen and had planned accordingly. I didn't notice a lanyard going to the saw - another clue of knowing possible consequences. Not saying that I'd do the same thing, but......yeah.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on these gloves. I'm trying to decide if my customer base will pay the $$ for these gloves. I think I'll order a pair from one of the online retailers and give them a go.
    $50 bucks a glove is pretty steep compared to what is out there on the market. It also hard in a retail market because they make half sizes so potentially you have to stock a lot of sizes. But these gloves are art, it’s like a Wilson Combat compared to Hi-Point. The leather is supple and the tan is quality and the stitching is precise and even. I put them on and just thought - someone knew what they were doing.

The American bison leather ones I got might be lifetime gloves they are so thick. I was pushed to look at getting them after going through a pair of box store gloves after splitting 4 cords on the splitter in a day.

It took 6 weeks for them to come from GoodGloves out of Texas. You might be better off going direct and getting some
    pairs for you and your kids. It’s also hard to figure out what models are driving gloves and what are work gloves so talking direct might be helpful.

Trying my best to buy lifetime items and things made in USA.

Site Supporter

That’s a bad day setting the palm tree on fire while up in it. My favorite was Bruce, the old faller hitting his escape route like a boss. He was putting in his backcut ready to roll.

It’s funny how many of those are familiar.

Once you put a sharp chain and a big saw in some wood especially the endless bucking with firewood, it will be hard to grab a little saw again. A few years ago, all I had was 362s and the small woman in my crew complained and I found much better use and less fear with the smaller saw. I actually limbed up a tree last week with a 261 after I flooded the 461 and didn’t want to pull on the saw thirty times or clean a spark plug. Handy little thing.

I would try out a 28 or 32 inch bar on the 461. It’s not about needing to cut big wood but keeping the saw close and tucked into your hip and standing up while bucking. Go skip tooth on the 32z
    I finally picked up an MS462CM with a 28" bar. Will be putting it through the paces at our spot at 10k' on Sunday. It doesn't feel much heavier in hand than the MS261CM.

I finally picked up an MS462CM with a 28" bar. Will be putting it through the paces at our spot at 10k' on Sunday. It doesn't feel much heavier in hand than the MS261CM.
    Weirdly enough, I ran one for the first time last week. They are a great saw. We ran it through a test log for 10 cuts to check it out. We do that a lot with new saws just to make sure they are working right, then we replace the chain. Turns out the customer is never going to use it. He collects them and even has a new 500i that he purchased from a guy in Europe because he couldn't wait for us to get him one. Weird, but it's still a sale.

That’s a bad day setting the palm tree on fire while up in it.
    Yeah, but you gotta admit he kept his cool under pressure.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm not sure I'm allowed in here with my electric saws, but I've been really impressed by my Dewalt 20V cordless 12" saw and 8" pole saw for their intended use. Plenty of power, quiet, light weight, maneuverable, no gas cans and no starting.
    I ended up getting the 16" Dewalt chainsaw and the 8" pole saw myself. I went down and helped my dad alongside his Stihl gas saw and the Dewalts both ran like scalded apes. He was impressed too.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, but you gotta admit he kept his cool under pressure.
    I had an interesting one yesterday - thankfully it was a healthy green eastern red cedar vs. a bare branched declining one.

I was lazy and grabbed my 2511T to limb the branches I made a landing zone out for the trunk, so I could pull the debris and handle the trunks (getting milled) later. I figured I was already there so I'd cut the trunks to 6 foot lengths while I'm at it, and the little saw did great.

Until it started smoking - not throwing dust, cutting great. My brain didn't compute that it wasn't the saw smoking, but the brush. A branch had worked it's way to be under the plastic housing guarding the muffler, and was resting on the muffler while that little engine was going full tilt. A lot of smoke, and I'm in the middle of a 4 tree brush pile of cedar.

A moment of confusion, followed by "oh shit" picturing the pile going into flames with me in the middle, and my brain finally figured out to cut the smoking branch and pull it out of the pile. The tip of the branch was stuck against the muffler, and was on fire.

Lesson for ya'll - top handles are very convenient. I won't be using mine again for ground work, the mufflers area always on the bottom, which is where the brush you're working in is located. Grab a rear handle - it's more effective, safer, and the mufflers are above the bar so you're far less likely to anciently get a contact fire started.

User Tag List