View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

So, I bought the Dolmar 421 from Performance Outdoor Equipment for $320 shipped. I returned my Poulan 5020AV since I've had a lot of problems with it that culminated in a fuel line melting and falling out of the saw (picture attached). I spent a lot of time thinking this problem was the carburetor and it was not. I believe that the Poulan 5020AV is a good saw but lacking in local dealer support (care to take a guess on how I know this?).

I chose the Dolmar because the Husqvarna 450 was in my price range but it's not a pro-grade saw and the Dolmar is indeed pro-grade. The Dolmar is a 42cc saw but high revving (13,500RPM) and the consensus amongst the pro abroists and chainsaw geeks (seriously) is that it's a rock solid saw that punches way above its weight. Furthermore, the dealer I bought from tests out the saw and tunes it for your altitude before shipping. If I have a problem, I can send it back to them for $15 in shipping in order to take advantage of the two year warranty. I dearly wanted to get into a pro grade Stihl 261 or a Husqvarna 543 but the prices were too high.

The Dolmar 421 is also rebranded as the Makita EA4300 and sold on Amazon, at Home Depot, etc.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  40.9 KB
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-01-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    #RESIST

Note the side chain tensioner.

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    So, I bought the Dolmar 421 from Performance Outdoor Equipment for $320 shipped. I returned my Poulan 5020AV since I've had a lot of problems with it that culminated in a fuel line melting and falling out of the saw (picture attached). I spent a lot of time thinking this problem was the carburetor and it was not. I believe that the Poulan 5020AV is a good saw but lacking in local dealer support (care to take a guess on how I know this?).

I chose the Dolmar because the Husqvarna 450 was in my price range but it's not a pro-grade saw and the Dolmar is indeed pro-grade. The Dolmar is a 42cc saw but high revving (13,500RPM) and the consensus amongst the pro abroists and chainsaw geeks (seriously) is that it's a rock solid saw that punches way above its weight. Furthermore, the dealer I bought from tests out the saw and tunes it for your altitude before shipping. If I have a problem, I can send it back to them for $15 in shipping in order to take advantage of the two year warranty. I dearly wanted to get into a pro grade Stihl 261 or a Husqvarna 543 but the prices were too high.

The Dolmar 421 is also rebranded as the Makita EA4300 and sold on Amazon, at Home Depot, etc.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  40.9 KB
    Can't wait to hear an update on this saw. Will pull the trigger on a dolman when my old husky dies.
    Cut safe

I must still be jet lagged, or maybe hungover, after returning from Cancun, but I read this thread title just now as "I want a Lightsaw" and thought it was a new Star Wars thread...

/digression
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I must still be jet lagged, or maybe hungover, after returning from Cancun, but I read this thread title just now as "I want a Lightsaw" and thought it was a new Star Wars thread...

/digression
    LL is not a Star Wars guy
    #RESIST

I enjoyed this site's descriptions of historical logging tools:

http://www.vannattabros.com/saw20.html
    #RESIST

I enjoyed this site's descriptions of historical logging tools:

http://www.vannattabros.com/saw20.html

Historical,....

I feel sort of old. I have one of those. Fantastic tool. Also have a Peavey, cant hook, draw knives, log dogs, bark spud, skidding tongs (alluded to in the description as log carrier without the handle, only specifically made for skidding) and various other odds and ends.

I don't have a ton of experience with chainsaws but I have some. I have mechanical aptitude. I understand that I'll need chaps, gloves, and safety glasses.

I have 5 acres and lots of trees. I am on a budget and am happy buying used. Eyeing a local Stihl 41 Farm Boss for $200. Usage will be felling a handful of trees a year and cutting up dead trees in manageable portions.
    I use the Husqvarna 450. This is a very powerful and easy to drink, which will help to cut a large number of trees. Moreover, if you choose between Husky's and Stihl, Husqvarna 450 is more economical. And its price there is $ 369.95, I believe that it is not very expensive for such a device. So my choice in favor of Husky.

Quote Originally Posted by SergioKurba View Post
    I use the Husqvarna 450. This is a very powerful and easy to drink, which will help to cut a large number of trees. Moreover, if you choose between Husky's and Stihl, Husqvarna 450 is more economical. And its price there is $ 369.95, I believe that it is not very expensive for such a device. So my choice in favor of Husky.
    I appreciate the knowledge but I chose the Dolmar 421, hopefully it will get here tomorrow.
    #RESIST

I appreciate the knowledge but I chose the Dolmar 421, hopefully it will get here tomorrow.
    Congratulations

User Tag List