View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 79 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Keep running the saw, it'll get lighter.
    Grow stronger, got it
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    My advice would be to go drastically lighter on your next saw. Something with a 12" bar will do a large percentage of the work I see in your pictures and won't leave you worn-out at the end of the day. You've got a 16" and 20" bar for the Poulan - treat yourself to a featherweight 12" saw and your back will thank you.

I'm not really familiar with Stihl's super-modern saws, but your link showed the MS241 at 43cc, so only a slightly smaller engine than the Poulan you already have. My guess is it probably doesn't quite have the guts to run a 16" bar strongly in hardwood (the MS261 is the classic 16" pro saw), but is probably overpowered for what you'd need for a 14" bar. The bare powerhead weighs 10 lbs according to the Stihl site, which is probably not much lighter than your Poulan if I had to guess. The modern Poulans I've handled were so plastic-y that they were lighter than they looked.

I wonder if any of the backwoods Stihl shops in your area still have something like an MS192T-CE or MS192C-E (top and rear handles, respectively) gathering dust on the shelf. Check out the powerhead weights on those - down in the 6-7 lb area. That's what you want for a light saw. Put a 12" bar on them and go to town. I have extensive experience with the 192's and they were great, reliable, inexpensive saws. I may have mentioned earlier that I have a brand new MS192C-E sitting on the shelf I'm saving for whenever I need it. I'm not familiar with the MS193 series that recently replaced them, but a quick Google search shows mixed reviews.

Another option in the Stihl line that I don't have any familiarity with but seems to have pretty good reviews is the MS150C-E. Super-light rear-handle powerhead that's rated for a 12" bar. Less power than a 192/193 but lighter, too. Here's a link to a thread on arboristsite about it: http://www.arboristsite.com/communit...0t-c-e.250256/

I would give serious consideration to that saw.
    How bad is the top handle w/out antivibe?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How bad is the top handle w/out antivibe?
    Stihl doesn't make a top handle without AV - hasn't for decades. Depending on the saw, the top-handle AV system is either a series of rubber bushings or coil springs attaching the carb / filter / side and rear handle assembly to the saw. On all but the smallest rear handle saws, the fuel tank assembly is also part of the AV side of the saw with a rib running underneath to allow the side handle to be AV as well.

Site Supporter
    Grow stronger, got it
    He might just mean the more you run it, the less fuel and bar oil are in it.

Stihl doesn't make a top handle without AV - hasn't for decades. Depending on the saw, the top-handle AV system is either a series of rubber bushings or coil springs attaching the carb / filter / side and rear handle assembly to the saw. On all but the smallest rear handle saws, the fuel tank assembly is also part of the AV side of the saw with a rib running underneath to allow the side handle to be AV as well.
    Learning just occurred, again. I'm searching, not finding anything yet. I'll hit a local dealer today and browse. It helps to pick up and handle the saws.

I went through my first carb tuning experience last week and learning occurred as I worked through solving the problem of my 5520AV not idling. Problem solved but it took a bit of work on my part to grasp how to tune the carb.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-11-2016 at 07:14 AM.
    #RESIST

He might just mean the more you run it, the less fuel and bar oil are in it.
    Copy, I'm a jarhead and not that bright
    #RESIST

Pretty tired of dicking around with this 5020. Might sell some shit to get me into a better saw.
    #RESIST

Pretty tired of dicking around with this 5020. Might sell some shit to get me into a better saw.
    Adding poll.
    #RESIST

I got a lot out of this video. He explained the felling dogs usage in a new way for me.

#RESIST

This is a real good training video for felling a tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 05-03-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: embedded video

User Tag List