View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well, my brain hurts from the chainsaw research (and the four stitches in my forehead). Every time I think I had found a solid recommendation, it's either out of my price range or unavailable used. Then I get off on another fruitless search. So I sort of impulse bought a Poulan 5520AV after I read this entire thread on it here at Arboristsite.

I fully realize this is not a pro-grade saw but it is made by Husqvarna and after my Champion generator carb rebuild by the light of a headlamp during a power outage and storm last summer, I am confident I can learn to maintain this machine.

I now need to shop for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). This will be on a budget as well, even used if I see the right deal.

My property is mainly red oak and white oak and there is real potential for walking trails.

This has been an intensive learning process and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to educate me. The process is still on going. I have been watching chainsaw usage videos as suggested by SLG and it is astounding what I did not know.

I have the same saw, and I think it was the same thread at ArboristSite that convinced me. It's worked well for me so far, but I admin I have not used it a ton and am a chainsaw noob.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

pick up a copy of jeff jepson's book to fell a tree. lots of good information.

It shipped to my door in 24 hours. Just got it put together, the chain tensioned, and all topped off so I just had to get it on. No drama cutting up a big old log along the creek that goes through my property. I will do some more work with it this weekend. So far, I quite like it.

Last edited by LittleLebowski; 03-04-2016 at 07:38 PM.
    #RESIST

#RESIST

Site Supporter
    What kind of non-oak hardwoods do you have on the property?

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    What kind of non-oak hardwoods do you have on the property?
    I need to take a look.... Need anything?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Apple or cherry would be ideal

Site Supporter
    Maple will work too, I'm going to do some Vermont (Maple Glazed) ribs in the near future.

Maple will work too, I'm going to do some Vermont (Maple Glazed) ribs in the near future.
    I need to work on my plant ID skills anyway. Anything you want, any endangered species bothering you on my property, just say the word
    #RESIST

Apple or cherry would be ideal
    Come by this week, I think I actually have a dead cherry tree that needs to go.
    #RESIST

User Tag List