View Poll Results: Which chainsaw for under $400?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl MS251

30 45.45%
  • Husky 445

10 15.15%
  • Dolmar 421

3 4.55%
  • Mods here are shit

15 22.73%
  • Some other saw

10 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleLebowski's big inspirational chainsaw thread

What is a good all around light duty bar length?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My vote would be a 20 inch bar but West Coast guys tend to think larger, than East Coasters.

It is a mix of the reach you want and the power of the powerhead to run it. If you truly need to cut something over the bar length on occasion, there are techniques for that. I would get a bar that would be for everyday use/range, not the 1000 yard shot. The smaller the bar, the more precise control I have over it, mainly due to weight of bar/chain/powerhead. If my main job was trimming branches off conifer trees, I would go smaller than a saw for all day bucking rounds.

I run a 362 with a 25 inch bar and a 200T with a 16 inch bar - it's original duty was carving notches for fence braces. I've run saws up to a 460 with a 28 inch bar, that size saw I can run for a tank of gas or two. My 362 maybe 3 tanks of gas. A 261 with an 18 inch bar, all day.

Name:  IMG_2506.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  72.3 KB

My budget is $300 or under. Sorry, gents. Got a family and one income.
    #RESIST

I'd go with a 16" bar. We have longer but the around the house 210 with a 16" bar does everything we need and is a great walking saw length/weight (trimming hunting roads, trails, tree stand areas, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    For the 8" trees you mentioned 14" should be fine. The longer you go with unneeded length the more likely you are to jam your chain into stuff you didn't want when using the bumper spikes.

Edited: What kind of trees are you cutting?
    Last edited by pablo; 02-29-2016 at 02:54 PM.

14-16 inch is all you need. Depends on the kind of trees you are cutting but a 16 inch and sharp chain you can cut a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 Days a week for 25 Years My reccomendations for you.

Having used a chainsaw 5 days a week for 25 years I have a good reference to what works, I have used them all (Brands and Sizes) from 55" 100cc saws to my Husky 335 14" climbing saw. I only "own" Husky saws, Stihl's are good saws but I personally am not a fan of Stihl's integral choke/throttle lock system I prefer Husky's choke system which I can modulate to be partially on for warming in cold weather something the Stihl's system does not allow for. (some models of Husqvarna mainly the non-professional use saws do now have integrated choke/throttle systems). My reccomendation to you would be to get a saw around 45cc to 50cc with a 16" to 20" bar here are a few that I would reccomend one which meets your budget and two which are more costly the 543XP is really worth the extra $$ and is what I personally would buy if I were buying that class/size of chainsaw.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...435/965167501/
    http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...545/966648501/
    hhttp://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...545/966648501/

Well, my brain hurts from the chainsaw research (and the four stitches in my forehead). Every time I think I had found a solid recommendation, it's either out of my price range or unavailable used. Then I get off on another fruitless search. So I sort of impulse bought a Poulan 5520AV after I read this entire thread on it here at Arboristsite.

I fully realize this is not a pro-grade saw but it is made by Husqvarna and after my Champion generator carb rebuild by the light of a headlamp during a power outage and storm last summer, I am confident I can learn to maintain this machine.

I now need to shop for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). This will be on a budget as well, even used if I see the right deal.

My property is mainly red oak and white oak and there is real potential for walking trails.

This has been an intensive learning process and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to educate me. The process is still on going. I have been watching chainsaw usage videos as suggested by SLG and it is astounding what I did not know.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 03-02-2016 at 09:51 PM.
    #RESIST

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Arboristsite is the Mecca for the information you are looking for. Don't get too wrapped up over the brand and model wars you see over there, it's similar to the manufacturer preferences seen on most gun forums.

If you are looking for an effective chain sharpener as a beginner, I would highly recommend the Timberline Chain Sharpener. There is a thread on AS about it and you can buy one on baileya online or Amazon. Clips right to the bar and you don't have to worry about angles.

As for bar length, if you are cutting oak with that saw don't push it. A 20" bar is nice, but you need a lot of torque and power to consistently run it in hard wood like oak. I would recommend sticking to something like a 16" with that saw if you plan on doing a lot of cutting. I run a 25" bar but my saw is 70cc and is ported.

Good on you for getting the safety gear. I know a lot of guys who are too cool for that kind of stuff. I know a lot of former cool guys with big scars too. I got my Husky chaps on eBay for almost half price new in the packaging.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 03-02-2016 at 10:57 PM.

I have the 18 inch polon pro PP4218A for my two acres at my place. Have used it some and it worked well with some 10 inch diamater trees. I have been using an electric 14 inch chainsaw by greenworks for around the house that has an extended poll for limb cutting. Ironically the green works has been used for 80 percent of my jobs around the house because its pretty mobile and just easy.

User Tag List