Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Combat Cobra...someday

These darn kids forget how bad, dirty, terrible, low bid police training ammo was when the ammo didn't have to function the gun. We used to use reloads when I started that I think a pal of the chief was doing. Stuff was just filthy lead round nose reloads.

2" 64/10's. These are really neat guns as they are much easier to shoot than the J frames and a little bigger than the Colt D frames. In their day, they and the D frame Colts were the "G-19" AIWB gun. I used a 3" 13 in that role, but these days, I find the 2" 64 great in this role.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    These darn kids forget how bad, dirty, terrible, low bid police training ammo was when the ammo didn't have to function the gun. We used to use reloads when I started that I think a pal of the chief was doing. Stuff was just filthy lead round nose reloads.

2" 64/10's. These are really neat guns as they are much easier to shoot than the J frames and a little bigger than the Colt D frames. In their day, they and the D frame Colts were the "G-19" AIWB gun. I used a 3" 13 in that role, but these days, I find the 2" 64 great in this role.
    These darn kids never knew how nasty revolver cleaning can be. Some of them bitch about cleaning their issue G23s. I then tell them about scrubbing lead out of a revolver barrel and they look at me like I have three eyes. No comprehension.
    I agree that the 2" M10/64 guns are nice. I probably should pick up at least one before they go away. The 3" version would be fantastic, but they are commanding more $$ then I am willing to pay right now....

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Some of them bitch about cleaning their issue G23s. I then tell them about scrubbing lead out of a revolver barrel and they look at me like I have three eyes. No comprehension.
    I quit bothering to even talk to them about that sort of thing. Its EXACTLY like trying to describe the very real danger they could be in to clueless relatives… until they have experienced it, they simply won't believe you.

Every now and, I run across a "youngster" like this guy mentioned above. Its gratifying to be able to pass on what knowledge I've accumulated, to someone who is interested and wants to learn.

The others… well, I hope they never run out of combat tupperware.

Revolver Round up. A few spaces available, I will loan you guns and leather. Wayne and I, Tom Givens and Mike DeBethancourt, and likely a couple special guest instructors.....you'll be all set, and get to eat some great BBQ.
    Thank you very much. Hopefully I will be able to travel sooner or later.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Just got this one from an 82 year old lady who bought it new in 1972, they put grips on it, a trigger shoe and loaded it for her at the shop where she bought it. Sat in the closet till I bought it last week. That is really the story that emphasizes how many folks in America are armed. Had the gun as a "insurance policy" for over four decades.....and it was never fired.

How does one find guns like these? I'm very thankful you've decided to share them with us, but in all honesty, I'm also extremely jealous - just one of my weaknesses.

A. People know I collect this stuff and many tend to send people to me.
    B. Reputation for being easy to deal with. Cash shows up when I say it will, and I let my non-Jewish side balance out the Jewish side...I want a great deal, but will not let one go over a small amount. On the gun in question, another guy gave a very low ball offer. I told the person facilitating the sale exactly what I just paid for a similar gun (about $900 less than they wanted). I told him I will give the lady exactly what I paid for the last one, and will give her $200 more if she could fin the original grips at home. The low ball guy eventually offered what my original offer was. They chose to sell me the gun because I wanted a good deal, but was not trying to take advantage of the lady. Meanwhile, the guy who offered $1500 less than asking has nothing.

C. Have funds or access to funds set aside somewhere for when a killer deal or situation pops up. I rarely buy clothes anymore, and cut way back on frivolous spending in order to have funds available for investment grade guns. I figure these guns are doing better than my oil stock right now and more fun than looking at gold or silver, while still having something that will always hold it's value for my kid, or can function as currency in a world economic calamity.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'm glad I read this thread.

I have a DS I had been thinking about selling to fund something else...now I am re-motivated to keep it.

I was in Town Police Supply here in Richmond a few weeks ago and the still had several very nice looking 2" M64s that were traded in by VA DOC. I was told that these were issued to wardens and assistant wardens. Price was just under $400.
    I'd jump all over that if I ran across it in the flesh and it/they checked out. I got burned a bit last used gun I bought "on-line"… never again, unless I know the history, or someone I trust has vetted it.

These darn kids never knew how nasty revolver cleaning can be. Some of them bitch about cleaning their issue G23s. I then tell them about scrubbing lead out of a revolver barrel and they look at me like I have three eyes. No comprehension...
    From the book No Second Place Winner:

...my initiation into the other side of this youthful viewpoint came about through a surprise inspection that I pulled on a group of Border Patrol Trainees. These young men, who were undergoing their rigid one year's training and probation, were reporting for shift duty and their presence idling around the office suggested to my mind the probability that an inspection of their sidearms would be good for their general development as officers. Particularly if I found any of the weapons in need of attention.
    To make a very thorough inspection short, these guns were all in beautiful condition. Immaculate! However, having gone that far it would not have argued well for constituted authority in general and my "face" in particular, if I had found them so, officially. Nor would it have improved their future attention to pertinent detail. Accordingly, under very close scrutiny into such obscure spots as the narrow space between the top strap and the end of the barrel, I was able to find a bit of lint here and a speck of dried grease there.... After giving them about fifteen minutes of fatherly comments on the virtue of industry and the importance of having their artillery in perfect condition, I ended with, "Now you go get those guns CLEAN and don't ever let me see them in such a deplorable condition again."
    A short time later I had occasion to go by the small room where cleaning equipment was kept. All were there industriously engaged in shining up the already glistening hardware. As I came abreast of the door, one of the boys whose back was toward me, held his revolver up, squinted judiciously into its insides and voiced the following opinion: "Well, I'll tell you one thing. The old ---- -- - ----- can SEE!"

- Bill Jordan (chapter 1, No Second Place Winner)
    Last edited by Wendell; 02-28-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Here's my cobra. It was made in 1957. I've posted it before but not since I got a hammer shroud for it.

It came drilled for the shroud but didn't come with one. So I antiqued a new shroud so I wouldn't look old on the old cobra. This cobra belonged to deputy joe Salazar. He worked in Arizona. A wwii vet that served in the army air Corp flying supplies over the berma hump. After the surrender he went into law enforcement. The cobra was his bug/off duty gun. The bluing is almost gone. Some of the corners are worn rounded. The checkering on the grips are smooth. Joe carried the cobra a lot. I carry it occasionally, around the house, sometimes in my carhart pocket and sometimes as a bug. It shoots wadcutters poa/poi and if I do my part into a ragged hole. A safe queen or sock drawer gun it is not but just a workin gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That great backstory, matched to that awesome piece of American history just screams " Back when men acted like men, didn't cry, opened doors for women, had a certain code of honor, and treated elders with respect".

I get the feeling that Deputy Joe Salazar looked people square in the eyes when he spoke to them.

User Tag List