Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tactical De-escalation" and how its going to get people killed.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Thanks for reading it.

This is the first out of a series I want to do.

Though this one isnt directly geared towards ccw folks, you can make the connection that is obvious, you need to know what you are going to do and being behind the clock is never acceptable.
    I guess for the ccw holder knowing what to do boils down to having a good understanding of the Ability Oportunity Jeopardy equation to know when deadly force is justified, and a good mindset and well regulated OODA loop!?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I think the issue is that "Tactical De-Escalation" is being applied across the board in totally inappropriate circumstances. This is politically driven, not motivated by actual need. Part of the problem is that political types (and this includes most LE executives) are very attached to "cool" new terminology. It becomes a "thing", even if it's not. The language becomes reality. Hence "racial profiling", "Memphis Model", etc. If it has a cool new term associated with it....the Pols can't resist it. It becomes "The Answer", even if the question doesn't really exist. In the case of "Tactical De-Escalation", this is also being driven by a political movement who very clearly want to "disarm" American LE both literally and figuratively. I personally believe that the racial division, de-policing of major cities, the resultant rise in crime and disorder, and the fear and despair felt by the law-abiding, are all the intended goals of this political movement....not unintended consequences. Thomas Sowell identified this pattern is his work "The Vision of The Annointed". First, you create the "crisis"....then you offer the people your "solution". Which is often worse than the original problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I think the issue is that "Tactical De-Escalation" is being applied across the board in totally inappropriate circumstances. This is politically driven, not motivated by actual need. Part of the problem is that political types (and this includes most LE executives) are very attached to "cool" new terminology. It becomes a "thing", even if it's not. The language becomes reality. Hence "racial profiling", "Memphis Model", etc. If it has a cool new term associated with it....the Pols can't resist it. It becomes "The Answer", even if the question doesn't really exist. In the case of "Tactical De-Escalation", this is also being driven by a political movement who very clearly want to "disarm" American LE both literally and figuratively. I personally believe that the racial division, de-policing of major cities, the resultant rise in crime and disorder, and the fear and despair felt by the law-abiding, are all the intended goals of this political movement....not unintended consequences. Thomas Sowell identified this pattern is his work "The Vision of The Annointed". First, you create the "crisis"....then you offer the people your "solution". Which is often worse than the original problem.
    Good book, I read it in HS. Really paints the picture of political gaming to generate "results" and answer a question that no one asked and doesn't even require asking.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    That is a very interesting and well-written article.

Every time I hear these discussions I think about this incident:
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/17455-pa...andrew-barcena

He did exactly what the de-escalation proponents would have you do and he ended up dead.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Every time I hear these discussions I think about this incident:
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/17455-pa...andrew-barcena

He did exactly what the de-escalation proponents would have you do and he ended up dead.
    So sad. In that case do you think it was official training and doctrine that compelled that officer to deploy a taser against a lethal threat, or just poor judgement?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    155 reads and not a single post.

If it sucks please say so.
    Well, I just read it and it is lacking only one thing: EXPOSURE! That link needs to be read by ANY and EVERY one who carries a firearm - for ANY reason. I keep saying "thanks" to you for many reasons and for this, it's pretty weak - but that's all I've got right now.

Please keep up the good work!

Site Supporter
    DacoRoman, I doubt i was El Paso Police policy to discharge a taser against a suspect armed with a firearm. I seem to recall some debate regarding whether the officer drew his Taser when confronted by the suspect or if he had been searching the garage with his Taser drawn. If it was the latter case, I understand why he might discharge the Taser that was already in hand. Regardless of which way it happened, however, the incident suggests that not shooting the suspect seemed a higher priority than officer safety.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/6501-cor...s-william-hill
    I'd also suggest this case as an example of de-escalation gone wrong. While not mentioned on either the ODMP nor the Alexandria Police website, Hill and his partners placed their weapons on the ground as the suspect approached in an effort to de-escalate. Two officers lives were sacrificed to avoid the use of appropriate deadly force.

I've had to yell at people to put their Tasers away and clear with their pistols during a building search. This included a guy who was "covering" down a hallway/primary threat with his Taser. Their bad tactics put my life at risk. Not a happy camper when that happens.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I think you don't hit the issues with UK style unarmed policing and US style policing nearly hard enough, or from the right angle.

The anti cop folks also tend to be anti gun in my observation, they want US cops unarmed and unable to shoot. Saying it's different isn't nearly good enough. What needs to be pointed out is how fucking stupid the idea is, and how untenable, and how often UK cops have to wait for the armed cops to show up.

The first responders on the scene of the murder of Lee Rigby had to wait around for the armed cops to arrive and end the confrontation;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby

Just one glaring example.

Good effort though.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 02-28-2016 at 04:45 PM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List