Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ankle med kits

ankle med kits

With the AFAK Karma thread, I saw that several people have used ankle med kits before. I was considering the TMS one, but I think someone mentioned they wear out quickly. Any recommendations on an ankle carrier? If anyone got the AFAK from Ryker would love to hear your comparisons against other options. Thanks!

I'm using the Rescue Essentials right now.

Comfortable: yes

Concealable: Under my Vertx Casuals, my random cargo pants, and jeans, yes. It prints if I put the large pocket on the outside of the ankle, but no so if I put it on the inside of the ankle. It will show in shorter pants like suit pants, however, when you sit and the pant leg rides up.

Durability: Unknown. Too new.

Capacity: It holds a lot of shit. H&H mini bandage, Quickclot CG LE, 1 pair gloves, and right now just for testing I've got both a Tourni-Kwik and SOFT-W. I need to redo it with some tape so I can improvise a chest seal.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-26-2016 at 07:10 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We just released our ankle med kit last week.

So other than the people who helped with testing last year LE/MIL and the ones we’ve donated to LE guys not many people have experience with our med kit yet. None are really on forums regularly and their opinion maybe seen as biased.

I can’t speak to the other ankle kits but ours started out as a designed way for friends and myself to be able to carry medical gear on them. I’ve always made or modified items to work better for friends and myself. I’m PRO LE/MIL so what ever I can do within reason to help, I do it.

This one was designed for Chris L for a more efficient way to carry medical gear. This was after attending a CCW class he taught involving drills with applying self/buddy medical aid after making the area safe. Chris helped with the design and I started making and donating them to friends & acquaintances that are at higher risk of needing medical gear on them.

The AFAK was designed for carrying medical gear including a chest seal concealed while minimizing the items from printing regardless if it’s full of items or just a TQ and gauze. Something Chris recommended was adding additional patch of loop to one of the pockets so it can be rolled up and used as an organizer when not worn. Everyone knows that things like combat gauze are expensive so it’s nice to have other options like rolling it up and stuffing in a range bag, LBE pouch, etc. when not worn on the ankle.

Though the AFAK was initially designed for medical gear people have found a number of other uses for it like carrying SSE gear and a ankle wallet for items needed but not used often enough to require belt space.

Feedback was great and I wear mine daily so I decided to sell this item as an option for people that are interested in ankle kits.
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

Had one of the Ryker kits used by a student in class today. He is ecstatic with it. Chris L is a friend and he also raves about the design. It is a very good option for anyone needing some way to carry critical med gear, especially first responders.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The Ryker kit was designed for a few specific purposes. The ability to carry life saving med gear on you at all times, with maximum comfort and minimum weight. It does this very well. The next was for reduced signature for those who wear it. Pennzoil was able to accomplish this with excellent results. Having worked undercover for a long time this was always a struggle. I tried several other option out there and none worked. The Rogue Gunfighter was the best but getting one was and act of God. In the end it was too thick, too heavy, and very hot in the summer. RG is now out of business.
    Pennzoil and I have worked together on other small items and I presented the idea to him. Unlike me, he has an engineering based mind and produced a couple (legitametly 2) of samples. These two samples lead to what is now Ryker Nylon and the Ryker AFAK.
    Pennzoil is a perfectionist and after more than a couple production samples, he now has the finalized product which is better than I could have ever imagined. Super light, comfortable, and carries what I need with ease and minimum signature.

I have been carrying mine for 3 days now, and really do like it. It's definitely more comfortable than a lot of ankle holsters I have worn.

You gents might want to reach out to Caleb Causey at Lone Star Medics. His better half was in the pistol class today, and I showed it to her. She was going to show the pics to Caleb, who hosts a Tactical Medical Conference here in Texas.

Caleb is a solid dude, I have trained with him several times.

Thanks again for an excellent product. It's now part of my daily stuff.

If you have contact info message Pennzoil. I'm sure he wouldn't mind the publicity . Thanks for the comments and glad you're liking it so far.

Here's a question: For you guys who have kept chest seals folded 2-3 times over (or more, to keep stuffed in a small kit) for continuous periods of time, have you opened them up and found them to still be effective or did they form creases that interfered with sealing?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Here's a question: For you guys who have kept chest seals folded 2-3 times over (or more, to keep stuffed in a small kit) for continuous periods of time, have you opened them up and found them to still be effective or did they form creases that interfered with sealing?
    Good question. Inquiring minds want to know...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I just serviced my work IFAK. Halo seal was expired, so it got switched out. Out of curiosity, I opened up the old one - seemed unaffected by being folded in half, and then in half again, inside of an SOTech VIPER IFAK for at least the last two years.

User Tag List