Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consistency between SHO and freestyle

Consistency between SHO and freestyle

Do you treat your freestyle / two hand grip as adding your support hand to your ideal strong hand only grip? Or do you adjust your strong hand when the support hand joins? Which one and why?
    Taking a break from social media.

My grips differ.

Freestyle, I try to lockout my support arm, and provide proportionately more clamp with support hand, while keeping my strong hand more relaxed to optimize trigger control and speed.

Shooting one hand, the one side needs to provide support while allowing trigger control, so I extend that one arm more aggressively and grip harder than freestyle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My grips differ.

Freestyle, I try to lockout my support arm, and provide proportionately more clamp with support hand, while keeping my strong hand more relaxed to optimize trigger control and speed.

Shooting one hand, the one side needs to provide support while allowing trigger control, so I extend that one arm more aggressively and grip harder than freestyle.
    What do you mean by "lock out" ?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I extend my support arm more aggressively than my dominant arm, and clamp harder with my support arm.

I do change. Aside from increased grip pressure brought up by GJM, I curl my thumb down when shooting SHO. Change is a result of an injury (severed two tendons, an artery, a vein, and nerves) to my trigger finger five years ago and in the course of recovery/PT, I lost a good deal of hand strength that's not coming back. It also effects my ability to get a clean trigger pull (can't bend trigger finger at furthest joint from my knuckle) which is magnified by the reduced grip strength and I've found the curled thumb helps. To keep things consistent, I've chosen to do the same thing WHO.
    Last edited by StraitR; 02-25-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I extend my support arm more aggressively than my dominant arm, and clamp harder with my support arm.
    Do you "lock out" your elbows?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Do you treat your freestyle / two hand grip as adding your support hand to your ideal strong hand only grip? Or do you adjust your strong hand when the support hand joins? Which one and why?
    My strong hand grip is the same whether I'm shooting one or two handed. Once I grip the gun and draw from the holster the grip never changes.
    I am simply adding the support hand to the grip. I do use a slightly stronger grip tension with my support hand when shooting two handed. Elbows locked and slightly rocked inward to exert some pressure on the grip.
    I do this for consistency of draw stroke and grip tension so the strong hand is always doing the same thing.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Do you "lock out" your elbows?
    Nope. Just shy of locked with support arm, tad more bend in strong arm.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Do you treat your freestyle / two hand grip as adding your support hand to your ideal strong hand only grip?
    Yes, this one.

It's this way for me because one of the most important roots of my strong hand position, whether actually gripping with one or two hands, is the geometry between the frame, trigger, and my hand, that allows me a pretty straight-back press. If it's better two handed, I think it's still better one handed.

Also, there are times the support hand may be leaving and joining the grip party - manipulating doors/windows/whatever, and this also comes up for me sometimes during movement with the gun in hand. I don't think I'd like needing to make an additional adjustment to the my strong hand grip every time the support hand gets on or off.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Yep, I guess I do, although I cant the gun a bit. I do tend to grip harder when shooting one handed just for the sake of recoil control though, with a freestyle grip my support hand is doing most of the gripping work.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List