Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winkler Axes

Site Supporter

Winkler Axes

Been looking at the camp axe or hunter axe by Winkler. Looking for a hertiage item to pass to the kids along with something practical to use and have around.

Would use to help process game, prep wood for campfires, and staring lovingly at.

Anyone have one, used one, seen one? I am just throwing money away?

Probably get them from Blade Connection they seem to have a great selection.

Winkler's work is beautiful.

I have a pair of Gransfors Bruks axes, and a Hult Bruks. I love how well they hold and edge. They are also only a couple of hundred dollars apiece, if the reduced price factors into your decision. You might be able to get one for each child, rather than having them share a single axe.

I have a Winkler camp axe. Also have most of the GB axes and a whole bunch of others as well. I love axes, and do all my wood splitting by hand.

The winkler is super cool, and it is very capable, but for pure wood processing, it is definitely not as good as a GB. I would never carry the weight for hunting, so the animal use is out for me.

I actually carry it with me most days, and when i'm out on the ranch, it comes along because there is always poison ivy to cut, and other random things to clean up. It is small, light, and easy to carry on the belt for chores. For real woods work though, a GB gets the nod everytime.

Site Supporter
    The response time on PF is unheard of.

I got Stihl axes for wood processing, a GB small forest axe could be a great option. Yea, the Winkler would be the everyday carry type axe. No great for specifics but good to have around.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 02-23-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Viking EDC. Think sap that cuts !

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have a Winkler camp axe. Also have most of the GB axes and a whole bunch of others as well. I love axes, and do all my wood splitting by hand.

The winkler is super cool, and it is very capable, but for pure wood processing, it is definitely not as good as a GB. I would never carry the weight for hunting, so the animal use is out for me.

I actually carry it with me most days, and when i'm out on the ranch, it comes along because there is always poison ivy to cut, and other random things to clean up. It is small, light, and easy to carry on the belt for chores. For real woods work though, a GB gets the nod everytime.
    What maul do you use?
    #RESIST

Winkler is GTG

With that said, crkt and a few other companies make pretty good hawks and axes as well, cheaply.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I need to try a GB someday, I'm using (fairly hard) a $30 axe
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I need to try a GB someday, I'm using (fairly hard) a $30 axe
    For that price you need a Cold Steel axe.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I lusted over a Winkler axe for years, finally picked up the "Wild Bill".
    I have some GB as well, but the Winkler is something special and rides easily in a small pack most days.
    Winkler also has a great discount for LE/MIL.

Not to stray from your original post, but check out Elmer Roush as well. Super nice guy and builds tremendous axes!

User Tag List