Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Pizza...let the hate spew

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I will put my beloved Filippis Pizza against any of your east coast thin ass pizza. Go to the link.....the smell in this place is nothing short of heaven. And something about the beach air makes it so much better. It is really the only thing left I really need to go to California for now that In N out has locations in both Texas and Lake Havasu AZ.

The gauntlet is thrown....

http://californiathroughmylens.com/f...o-little-italy
    I'm throwing in Big Bob's Best Pizza in Oceanside, CA as they supported my family with delicious pizza while I was deployed. Light years away from Little Caesars at kids bday parties. Can't remember their pizza as its been over 10 years but Filippis' Prime Rib was the bees' knees. While I'm on a tangent, Little Italy's Mona Lisa's #8 sandwich in case you want to make another thread on best sandwiches.

Don't Tase me Bro!
    Last edited by CakeEater; 02-22-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Pasquale's, 8th and Irving in SF. Seriously. The House Special. Nothing else. Of course, I've been eating it since I was five, so....a long time. Maybe biased. And nobody bring up Chicago Deep Dish. That's tomato soup in a bread bowl.

Site Supporter
    In Dallas, I drive all the way to Garland for Siciliano's. Plus they have these garlic rolls that are like crack made from the pizza dough. When you bring them home Ina paper bag, they are known as the greasy brown bag of happiness.
    Those are called garlic knots in NY. They are good.

Speaking of Greasy Paper bags ....

Last edited by HCM; 02-22-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Sorry Love Texas.... but when it comes to great tasting PIZZA Texans don't get it Try Brothers Pizza http://www.brotherspizzeriahouston.comStarted by their Dad an escapee from FLATBUSH. They know pizza !
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

I made the mistake of ordering a slice of vegan pizza, from a good bakery in CO, because that is all they had left to eat and I was really hungry. My reaction, after one bite, was to toss the pizza and eat the wax paper it came on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Pasquale's, 8th and Irving in SF. Seriously. The House Special. Nothing else. Of course, I've been eating it since I was five, so....a long time. Maybe biased. And nobody bring up Chicago Deep Dish. That's tomato soup in a bread bowl.
    I was never terribly impressed with the Pizza in the Bay area. There are some great Italian Delis though. Molinari's and Lucca's in particular.

Grimaldi's in NYC is quite tasty. Siciliano's and Cane Rosso in Texas are also very nice.

I have eaten pizza made in an Italian home, just north of Naples whilst on liberty. We took the crusts and drizzled homemade balsamic vinegar on them. Then we danced with the Italian girls who spoke no English, and we spoke no Italian. We drank a lot of wine, and gazed soulfully into each other's eyes.

Four months into a Med float, with a 72-hour liberty chit and three months pay burning a hole in my pocket. That was the best pizza I have ever had in my life.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 02-22-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: too much wine

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    "I think you're trying to trick me." "It won't work."

Corners and middle for me.
    Damn. Now I want a rice ball and some marinara.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Those are called garlic knots in NY.
    Same in most places.

What is kind of funny is that location in general is sort of irrelevant, as most of the really good places are old, and started by Italian immigrants and passed down through generations. Filippis has numerous locations....all family owned by direct descendants, and all the same recipes. Here is the kicker, and I think most may agree on this....the original Filippis is literally right by the ocean, and always just a little better than the other locations. I think there is something to places that are close to the ocean. Don't know if it is in the dough, how it rises, the cheese, etc. There is also something to the tradition of this being food that was prepared for seamen, and fisherman.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Same in most places.

What is kind of funny is that location in general is sort of irrelevant, as most of the really good places are old, and started by Italian immigrants and passed down through generations. Filippis has numerous locations....all family owned by direct descendants, and all the same recipes. Here is the kicker, and I think most may agree on this....the original Filippis is literally right by the ocean, and always just a little better than the other locations. I think there is something to places that are close to the ocean. Don't know if it is in the dough, how it rises, the cheese, etc. There is also something to the tradition of this being food that was prepared for seamen, and fisherman.
    Its the water ....

User Tag List