Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The Warthog stays alive...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBlunder View Post
    How.much are these useless shenanigans costing the taxpayers?

These are weapons for the defense of our nation, not hotrods for fun and show.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    I like it! What is up with the snake face up front? Are Warthogs known as anything else? (Kind of like Falcon or Viper both referring to F16)

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBlunder View Post

Nevermind, disregard last post. Thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

I can see your point. I would just like to throw out that there is probably a morale building aspect/goal behind the paint job.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

In 2018 the USAF painted an A-10 to commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

Attachment 74811
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I like it! What is up with the snake face up front? Are Warthogs known as anything else? (Kind of like Falcon or Viper both referring to F16)
    Thunderbolt II which I believe is in reference to the WWII era Republic P47 Thunderbolt.

ETA: sorry, didn't see the disregard post until after posting.

And FWIW, I have much less of a problem with tax payer money being used to paint planes than on Critical Race Theory, Diversity, Sexual Reassignment and promoting Wokeness in the military in general.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 07-26-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

1) The planes have to be repainted regularly. So, whatever?

2) I guarantee that repainting A10s occasionally is cheaper than a single F35.

So, perhaps we should focus our outrage on tax expenditures on the places where it can best be focused - Like...airplanes that are far too expensive, boats that we cannot afford the ammunition for, or useless things like pistols that are already broken.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    Tail number 80244. That's a 1978 manufacture date, and it's still kickin ass!!
    80-0244 was ordered in fiscal year 1980.

It has snake nose art because it belongs to the 122nd Fighter Wing, nicknamed Blacksnakes.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    "How.much are these useless shenanigans costing the taxpayers?

These are weapons for the defense of our nation, not hotrods for fun and show."

To quote Sgt. Hulka- "Lighten up Francis!"

To dovetail of a post above-actual likely additional cost to the taxpayer=0.

1. We had to paint the plane at some point anyway
    2. Somebody needed the training/practice etc painting said plane.
    3. The Service members who painted said plane were coming to work anyway.
    4. It is a matter of public record that many Air National Guard Units have historically maintained the same or better readiness standards than active units because the folks want to be there as opposed to having to be there and/or tend to be very experienced and very good at what they do.

That Unit also goes to war.

https://www.122fw.ang.af.mil/News/Ph...to/2001951477/
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Senate to Air Force: You’re gonna keep your A-10 Warthogs and you’re gonna like it!

Like a hoarder with separation anxiety, Congress just can’t let go of the A-10 Warthog, the aging but legendary attack plane the Air Force has tried and failed for years to start to get rid of.

In its most recent attempt, the Air Force tried to cut 42 A-10 Thunderbolt II attack aircraft from its fleet of 281 airframes. The move was supposed to free up maintenance costs on the aging platform which the branch could then use to buy more advanced aircraft like the F-35A, which the Air Force thinks has a better chance of surviving against high-tech anti-aircraft weapon-equipped countries like China.

But not if Congress had anything to say about it, which it did. In its proposal for the Fiscal Year 2022 National Defense Authorization Act, the bill which will set the funding levels for the U.S. military next year, the Senate Armed Services Committee prohibited the Air Force from retiring any A-10 aircraft in fiscal year 2022.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

User Tag List