Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I found the a300 on Bud’s for ~$600 so I’m looking for a local transfer dealer. Was hoping to avoid that but...

Real quick though, and to refresh my memory, what am I giving up if I just go with the $420 11-87?
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1784073
    If you just need it to shoot the occasional clays charity event... not a whole lot, provided you don't get a lemon.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I shot clays for the first time in April. I’ve been back 3 times since (wobble and sporting clays).
    I’ve been shooting my Wal Mart mossberg 500. I’m not good, but I’m close to my shooting buddy that has a background in clays to not embarrass myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I’m not sure I follow how a $1600-2400 shotgun is a beginner gun?
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Beret...un/1375218.uts
    Without looking back through this thread, I seem to recall us discussing 390s. The Xcel is just the current Beretta offering for a target shotgun. I see a fair number of new clay target shooters shooting the Xcel, if they bought new. If starting with a used shotgun, most I see are starting with a used Beretta of some kind. It seems that Beretta is the overwhelming favorite for an autoloader in the clay target world. So, yes, beginners are buying the Xcel, but I agree with you that it is a little pricey, especially just to dip a toe in the water.

I also seem to recall that I previously recommended an 1100. Which brings us to your post below.

I found the a300 on Bud’s for ~$600 so I’m looking for a local transfer dealer. Was hoping to avoid that but...

Real quick though, and to refresh my memory, what am I giving up if I just go with the $420 11-87?
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1784073
    I think the 11-87 would be fine. It would serve you well on a clays course as well as in the field. Some 11-87s come with a fixed choke barrel, and you would want to avoid those. The one you linked seems to have the ability to change chokes, but it appears that only a modified choke is provided. You would need to buy a skeet or IC choke for many sporting clay presentations.

The main thing is to go shoot and have fun whatever shotgun you use for the purpose. Heck, I sometimes still see older guys dragging out their pump shotguns for a little fun. It's amazing how quick some of those older gents can cycle a pump for a second shot.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Looks like if I walk into a Bass Pro, the a300 is only $50 more than the 11-87. Probably worth the premium?

Looks like if I walk into a Bass Pro, the a300 is only $50 more than the 11-87. Probably worth the premium?
    I would say yes, as long as you have narrowed your focus and do not have plans for secondary configurations and multiple barrels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Any day of the week, even if all you do is consider the maintenance aspect. There is no doubt the Remington is a pretty decent gun, but no way it’s as easy to maintain as a Beretta. They’re very simple to work on, and there’s just not that much that breaks. Mine is a 390, but not a lot of big differences from one to the next in how they function. I’ve been shooting it for 10+ years. Over a hundred cases of light target loads shooting sporting clays and dove hunting, and I used to shoot 4 cases of 3” steel shot per season goose hunting in Oklahoma. The only part I’ve ever had to replace was the recoil spring in the buffer tube located in the stock. It was several inches shorter than the minimum spec, and cost me under $20. Of course, the gun was still functioning fairly well, but wasn’t 100% on 7/8oz target loads when it got really dirty.

Get the Beretta, and don’t clean it nearly as much as you think you need to. Make sure to avoid putting CLP on anything forward of the receiver face. If it ends up on the magazine tube or any of the gas system it’ll get hot and gum up, which will make the cycling sluggish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, yes. The a300 has a shim system to adjust drop (maybe a little cast as well), and the length of pull can also be adjusted significantly. Going duck hunting and need to shorten length of pull due to heavy clothing? Done. You can get this shotgun to fit about as well as possible outside a custom fitting. Also, I think it may come with three chokes, but ask Bass Pro about that. You would have to buy another choke or two for the 11-87 you previously linked. The extra chokes would offset that price difference. The 11-87 you linked had a price of $420 as I recall. If you are finding an a300 in the $470 price range, it would be a steal. I thought a300s were usually several hundred dollars more expensive than that. There should be a Beretta Youtube video for the a300 for a product overview.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

No Bass Pro pricing would make the a300 $670 and the 11-87 $620. Give or take.

I would go with the a300. I use one for trap skeet hunting IMHO one of the best values and very reliable

At least to me, that's an easy choice. Get the a300. $670 is less expensive than I thought it would be. For some reason, I had about $800+ in my head for a new a300. I was right; Beretta has a product video for that model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTIGeoZ82FY

Let us know what you bought and what you think of whatever you bought once you have had a chance to go shoot. You might end up enjoying clay target shooting as much as pistol or rifle shooting. All are certainly addictive.

User Tag List