Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

You won't be miserable with an 1100. In my personal opinion and experience an 1100 will take you all the way until you have the need need for the high dollar custom fit guns. An added bonus that I haven't seen mentioned is recoil. I saw the Browning BT-99 mentioned earlier. They kick like a mule. You can run hundreds of rounds through an 1100 in one day and not be bothered in the least.
    The recoil is atrocious in some guns. That's why you see recoil reducers in the stock and release triggers to compensate for flinch. Beware a flinch is a hard habit to break.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is something I'm very conscious of. There's a balance to be had relative to enjoyment, cost, special-purpose, quality, etc. For example, I've seen guys go buy a $500 1911 and a Uncle Mike's holster and go try to shoot IDPA or USPSA and be miserable. Often they blame the game not the gear, but in either case they aren't achieving the primary goal which is to have fun. They *can* go shoot with sub-optimal gear, but they could have also had a Glock and a kydex holster for the same money and had a lot greater enjoyment.

I think I'm going to wind up going back to Gander and picking up that 390, but I'm going to check out Dick's today or tomorrow as well first. While at Gander I saw some horribly over-priced handguns and it has me wondering if the shotguns are massively overpriced as well.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Rob,

I would suggest you find a nice Beretta 3901 with a 28" barrel. It's every bit as reliable as the newer 391 series, but with a gas system that's much easier to clean. That's what I did, and enjoy it very much. Good luck.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Rob,

I would suggest you find a nice Beretta 3901 with a 28" barrel. It's every bit as reliable as the newer 391 series, but with a gas system that's much easier to clean. That's what I did, and enjoy it very much. Good luck.

Chris
    I'm pretty sure the 3901 will take 390 barrels too. I'd like to find a 30" full choke 390 barrel (or a newer one tapped for tubes) for my 3901 that didn't require my first-born in payment.

So almost two years later, I was gifted a trip to a charity clays tournament. Anything changed in the shotgun world? From re-reading the old thread it sounds like a used 3901 or 390 was the top suggestion? Thoughts on a new gunL I may not have time to wait to track down a used one.

Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting Black Edition if buying new. The same shotgun also comes with a blue receiver if you prefer that look.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

So almost two years later, I was gifted a trip to a charity clays tournament. Anything changed in the shotgun world? From re-reading the old thread it sounds like a used 3901 or 390 was the top suggestion? Thoughts on a new gunL I may not have time to wait to track down a used one.
    The A300 you almost bought a couple posts up is still solid for new in the $650 range, and the Stoeger 3000 for right at $500.

I’d snag whichever floats your boat. I just shoot my 1301 Comp in sporting clays, and it does fine. Unless you need to impress with your hardware due to social obligations...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting Black Edition if buying new. The same shotgun also comes with a blue receiver if you prefer that look.
    I’m not sure I follow how a $1600-2400 shotgun is a beginner gun?
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Beret...un/1375218.uts

I use a Remington V3. The walnut version is on Bids for approx 750. Remington offer rebates and I am sure you can find cheaper other places. You can also go synthetic.

It is low maintenance. Has 3 nice chokes (all steel rated). Great trigger. Incredibly soft shooting. No mainspring in the buttock. Etc. Check out some of the reviews online. It's incredible value.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I found the a300 on Bud’s for ~$600 so I’m looking for a local transfer dealer. Was hoping to avoid that but...

Real quick though, and to refresh my memory, what am I giving up if I just go with the $420 11-87?
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1784073

Real quick though, and to refresh my memory, what am I giving up if I just go with the $420 11-87?
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1784073
    Didn't you also once ask about two barrels? If so, that is really Remington territory. The Beretta is probably a better gun, but it might be a Glock/M&P situation, and at your stage of the game you would be happy with either. Unless you go out to buy a second barrel, then you will want the 11-87, and chokes are easy and cheap. I love my two Berettas but shot the dickens out of a 1100 before I bought either.

If you start getting into clay games you might end up transitioning to a O/U anyway.

User Tag List