Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

I started out with a very basic synthetic stock 1100 and shot it thousands of times before getting several other nice shotguns.

You didn't really mention budget, if it is low get any decent field automatic that has screw in chokes. I say stick to 12g for versatility.

Then you really just need a pouch.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I started with a 1100 sporting clay and moved to a Citori XT Trap. My scores were the same.....but I sure did appreciate the O/U more. It did well in both skeet and trap. My brother runs a Kreighoff and a Beretta. His scores are a bit higher with the Beretta. It just seems to fit him a little better and swings more smoothly.

The other advantage of O/U's is that you can see the condition status of everyone's gun. There's alot of muzzles pointing the wrong way, at feet, etc. Hard to tell who's gun is loaded with a semi

Site Supporter
    I got into shooting trap last year. Still struggling with it but most days it is fun.

I just got this for a trap shooting bag:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/rangem...ebaglarge.aspx

In a size medium, fits in one pocket my eyes, ears, and a snack, in middle compartment 4 boxes of shells, belt, and pouch, and the other pocket a trauma kit/GSW kit. Thinking about shotgun wounds I should add a some larger compression bandages (tangent sorry). You don't need much.

For shotguns, the gun fit is the most important. Then I agree with comments that O/U are generally better. I got a Browning Citori XT Trap and really like the gun. It is much more pleasant to shoot than the lighter Browning 725 fieldgun I was using last year. I see a wide range of guns at the club, mostly single barrel and O/U, maybe 10% semi's.

Prepare for muzzling and also some light drinking and handling firearms.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 02-22-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I started with a 1100 sporting clay and moved to a Citori XT Trap.
    Good advice! My Uncle was a Central Zone champ in the 70's and 80's for ATA. He did it with a 1100. I started shooting with a Winchester Model 12 Y-series trap and moved to a Citori. Was nothing more than a 'fair' trap shooter, especially compared to the kids who've grown up shooting since they were tall enough not to drag the muzzle on the ground. It's a great game and I still enjoy the looks on folks faces when I run 25 birds from the 16 yard line with an 870P.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 02-22-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Good info guys, thanks.

As usual, I didn't know what I didn't know, and was unclear on the various flavor of shotgun sports. I suspect that Sporting Clays is what I'd wind up shooting more often than anything else, and mistakenly assumed the guns were all the same. Sounds like a sporting clays gun is the spray to go. Anyone care to lay out the pros/cons of the O/U vs semi in that application? I'm presuming that the semi will have less felt recoil? Other benefits to the O/U than safety? Presumably less complication = more reliable?

Thoughts on the Stoeger?
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/con...ations-section

The conventional wisdom -- as I know it -- is that inexpensive O/Us don't hold up well to the kind of round count that regular clay shooters go through.

A gas semi of the same weight and fit will have less felt recoil.

I suspect I'm looking more for the S&W Sport than the KAC SR15.

"Regular" is unlikely to define my clays shooting. Lately I can't even find the time to do the kind of shooting I already like, so it's unlikely I'm going to find the time to break a cheap shotgun. Unless, that is, it can't even stand up to two-three outings a year.

On that note, I'm likely going to be buying one of these too, again for the possible 2-3 times/year I might get to shoot $-gun, and I'm wondering if this couldn't be pressed into service for clays. What would I be giving up, if I used this for clays or trap?
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/node/1561

They say the auto-loaders have less felt recoil, but in my experience a good-fitting o/u is not any worse. In sporting clays, you will never see more than two birds at any given station, so the two barrels of an O/U work great, plus you have the option of choking each barrel differently, which is an advantage for presentations combining an incomer and a longer shot, as you can optimize your shot cloud to each target's distance. I feel that O/Us swing better, as the balance point is further out front, stabilizing the swing motion for crossing targets. Oh, and, yes, it's easier to load, unload and show clear with an O/U----people can see from 50 yds away that the gun is safe.

All this talk about shotgunning is making me realize how much I miss it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    On that note, I'm likely going to be buying one of these too, again for the possible 2-3 times/year I might get to shoot $-gun, and I'm wondering if this couldn't be pressed into service for clays. What would I be giving up, if I used this for clays or trap?
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/node/1561
    Relatively speaking, skeet guns have shorter barrels than trap guns...you'll probably want to split the difference. I went with a 30" barrel for versatility; that Stoeger looks quite a bit on the short side to me. Welcome thoughts from others, as I'm not very familiar with 3-gun shotgun distances.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-23-2016 at 07:27 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I personally run a Mossberg 500 All Purpose w/28" barrel and Imp. Mod choke for sporting clays. I snagged it for a steal so I could get into it on a regular basis with some friends of mine. I usually get a 76% hit rate with it, sometimes better. I figure if I decided to get REALLY serious with it, I could move to a different gun and re-purpose the 500 as a HD gun.

User Tag List