Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

I've seen more problems with autoloaders than O/U guns at our local clay range - typically maintenance issues (O-rings), lack of lube, or problems with ammunition (some of the lighter target loads seem to cause cycling problems, and these days getting 'preferred loads' can be problematic). That's not to say O/U guns are problem free, though I've never had an issue with my Berettas.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I've seen more problems with autoloaders than O/U guns at our local clay range - typically maintenance issues (O-rings), lack of lube, or problems with ammunition (some of the lighter target loads seem to cause cycling problems, and these days getting 'preferred loads' can be problematic). That's not to say O/U guns are problem free, though I've never had an issue with my Berettas.
    What Beretta O/Us do you have? Or did you mean you have Beretta autoloaders?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    What Beretta O/Us do you have? Or did you mean you have Beretta autoloaders?
    I own a 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting and a new 690 Sporting. Both 30" guns in 12 gauge. My son also shoots a 28" Franchi SL O/U in 20 gauge - the Franchi has been some of the best gun money I've spent. The aluminum receiver and 20 gauge cartridge make for a light and easy shooting youth gun.

I also own a 1301 Tactical. But in my post I meant that I haven't seen problems with my Beretta O/Us. (No problems with the 1301T for that matter.). I'll note that I've certainly seen O/Us malfunction, typically rental guns with some mileage, but far more frequently I've seen problems with autoloaders.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-04-2022 at 06:34 PM.

Comparing a $2-$3k OU to a $500 whateveripulledfromgrandpappyssafe isn’t really the kind of comparison I was making.

The advantage of the semi auto is that someone like me can buy a $700 Beretta and shoot it for years without issue.

I don’t think that possibility exists with a $700 OU. At least that’s the advice I’ve gotten everywhere I’ve looked, and in my limited experience with other folks shooting OUs of that price range.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Comparing a $2-$3k OU to a $500 whateveripulledfromgrandpappyssafe isn’t really the kind of comparison I was making.

The advantage of the semi auto is that someone like me can buy a $700 Beretta and shoot it for years without issue.

I don’t think that possibility exists with a $700 OU. At least that’s the advice I’ve gotten everywhere I’ve looked, and in my limited experience with other folks shooting OUs of that price range.
    Certainly not disagreeing with the value proposition - and I think the Beretta autoloaders are all-around excellent guns.

I'm not quite sure where the value line is for an O/U - the debate there seems to start at Beretta vs. Browning and then you're already at the $2K mark. I think our experience with Franchi suggests that there are other options that aren't quite as expensive that will serve well, but even Franchi O/Us are $1200 guns and I haven't seen many of them. I'd like to find someone with first hand experience with one of these as I have some friends who would like a more reasonably price O/U...

Franchi Instinct Sporting 40836 12GA Over Under Shotgun, 30″ Barrel, A-Grade Satin Walnut

Assuming the controls are the same I can see a real reason for using an A300 or A400 for clays when a 1301T is in your HD batting lineup. That’s exactly why I have matching 870’s.

I’ve seen more problems with semiauto shotguns but at the end most were operator errors. Semi’s require more brain activity to use, buttons, levers and cycling bits. With an O/U you open it, drop in two shells, close the gun, call “Pull!”, watch two satisfying puffs of target smoke, open the gun and catch two empties, then wait for your next turn. Kinda zen-ish.

I'd like to find someone with first hand experience with one of these as I have some friends who would like a more reasonably price O/U...

Franchi Instinct Sporting 40836 12GA Over Under Shotgun, 30″ Barrel, A-Grade Satin Walnut
    The club I shoot at has 100+ members and I don’t remember ever seeing a Franchi, the only time they’ve ever come up in conversation several curmudgeons accused them of kicking harder than reasonable. The kiss of death with that bunch.

FWIW, Some of the CZ (Huglu) guns seem to work. I’ve been shooting a F.A.I.R Carrera with no problems over a couple thousand rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    The club I shoot at has 100+ members and I don’t remember ever seeing a Franchi, the only time they’ve ever come up in conversation several curmudgeons accused them of kicking harder than reasonable. The kiss of death with that bunch.
    My son did an introductory lesson at a club where they provided the guns and had the Franchis in 20 gauge for the kids. He was breaking clays right away and had a smile on his face the entire time. The recoil was fine despite the lightweight receiver. The club seemed pleased with the performance of the guns. I'm not sure I would have ever looked for that model except for that very positive experience, and I'm happy we picked one up.

To your point though, I'm not sure I've seen any other Franchis.

I'm not sure I would have ever looked for that model except for that very positive experience, and I'm happy we picked one up.
    I’ve seen guns from Krieghoff to Savage 311, some very exotic guns included. Our resident FFL usually shoots a Tri Star .410 O/U. The Franchi’s I’ve seen in stores were quite nice but all field guns which may explain the sparse showing at a target venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    The Franchi’s I’ve seen in stores were quite nice but all field guns which may explain the sparse showing at a target venue.
    This one is a field gun too; kid is so accustomed to the auto-safety at this point that he's thrown-off when he shoots a sporting gun that doesn't have one...

User Tag List