Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    After some YouTube research I’ve discovered that the Brits solve this problem by having a guy that loads their gun for them as they’re shooting. They just open the action and some plebe drops two more shells in the gun for them.
    our original "couples class" the instructor kept doing that, initially to me and for the wife the entire time. I got really pissed about it, really quick, and he figured out pretty quick that I might not know flying target shooting but I'm ok with a gun (I think it was the Sordins, and then at some point he says "you're shooting in kind of a tactical stance" :P). For the wife, it was actually really helpful in that context since it was one less thing she had to think about. At several subsequent outings I continued to load for her, but now she does it all herself.

I wonder if the Brits are doing that out of some sort of bougieness or if it's just a matter of the range folks thinking "oh christ, let's keep this inbred royal hemophiliac from shooting off their own foot and bleeding everywhere."
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The Beretta A300 Ultima looks like a good gun for skeet, trap, and hunting. I wish the gas system of my 1301T was available in a target/hunting gun that didn't cost $1500+ like the A400s.

I guess my beat up 1187 will still work for games, and my Mossy 835 for hunting. It'd be nice to have the same manual of arms for everything though.

I use a lowes canvas apron to hold shells. Probably should look at another option, lol.

There are a lot of choices in carrying ammo. I use a Browning vest that has a pocket for an optional gel pad at the shoulder. I bought the gel pad insert too. There are other brands that have that feature, too. In shooting a round, I actually fill one pocket with 25 rds and shoot a full round. I catch the spent shells and put them in the opposite pocket rather than police shells after. I use an over/under which allows me to catch shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    The Beretta A300 Ultima looks like a good gun for skeet, trap, and hunting.
    The "ultima" family didn't exist when I was originally shopping when I started this thread, but the A300 Ultima Black Synthetic is almost certainly what I'd buy/suggest today.

What I have now (A300 Outlander Synthetic)
    Name:  a300outlandersynthetic_listing_mobile003 (2).jpg
Views: 394
Size:  5.4 KB

What I'd buy today (A300 Ultima Black Synthetic)
    Name:  beretta-a300-ultima-black-12-gauge-3in-semi-automatic-shotgun-1688607-2.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  13.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The "ultima" family didn't exist when I was originally shopping when I started this thread, but the A300 Ultima Black Synthetic is almost certainly what I'd buy/suggest today.

What I have now (A300 Outlander Synthetic)
    Name:  a300outlandersynthetic_listing_mobile003 (2).jpg
Views: 394
Size:  5.4 KB

What I'd buy today (A300 Ultima Black Synthetic)
    Name:  beretta-a300-ultima-black-12-gauge-3in-semi-automatic-shotgun-1688607-2.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  13.2 KB
    I'm pretty sure the recoil/action springs are in the stock (much like an 1187) instead of under the forend like a 1301 or A400. So while the A400 could potentially get an adapter and magpul, the A300 definitely can't. Then again, if the kick-off system is really great that might not be a concern anyway.

I think the ultima looks like a truly great buy right now. Wish the chokes matched the 1301 but such is life.

I'm pretty sure the recoil/action springs are in the stock (much like an 1187) instead of under the forend like a 1301 or A400.
    Ideally, I'd buy a 1301 and a Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting KO, but I don't shoot often enough to make the ~$1700 A400 KO worthwhile for me. I don't think I've ever missed a bird that I can blame on the gun.

So while the A400 could potentially get an adapter and magpul, the A300 definitely can't.
    Based on my own limited use, and what I've seen at the range, the last thing I'd be adding to a Clays gun is a Magpul stock. YMMV

Then again, if the kick-off system is really great that might not be a concern anyway.
    I've not shot a gun with it yet. I'd like to. I sort of kind of keep an eye out on the rental rack when we go to various ranges as that would be a good chance to try it firsthand. I'm also unsure about shortening stocks with the system. I had to order about the slimmest pad I could find and discard the factory screws to get the wife's Outlander down as short as possible without getting into cutting the plastic.

I think the ultima looks like a truly great buy right now. Wish the chokes matched the 1301 but such is life.
    For me, this is another one of those things that seems like a big deal at first, but then likely wouldn't be in reality. I doubt I'd ever change the choke in a 1301, and I've never changed the choke in my A300 (save, I think, swapping it out when I first got it). Again, I may not know what I don't know, but I've never missed a bird I thought wouldn't have been hit with a different choke.

I average, I think, about 85 on the bunny slope courses. I average like 0 for 0 on the "hard" courses. There may be an equipment issue there, but I imagine it's the weak nut behind the trigger that's the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    After some YouTube research I’ve discovered that the Brits solve this problem by having a guy that loads their gun for them as they’re shooting. They just open the action and some plebe drops two more shells in the gun for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I wonder if the Brits are doing that out of some sort of bougieness or if it's just a matter of the range folks thinking "oh christ, let's keep this inbred royal hemophiliac from shooting off their own foot and bleeding everywhere."
    No, no, you miss the point and the technique. The proper toff has a PAIR of guns. He fires two shots and exchanges guns with his loader. If one has attended the school operated by the gunmaker, one has a good chance of bringing down four birds.

Roger Barlow had a 4 barrel Lancaster that short-circuited that system; fire two at incoming driven grouse, stroke the Winchester style underlever to reset the action for the other pair of barrels as you turn to shoot two going away.
    That would probably have gotten him the Cut Sublime in Society.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

New Years morning I went and shot crazy quail with a guy from work. I used my battered 1187 Premier and did okay. Had a great time. I used an old OD saw drum bandolier this time. It held 3 games of shells without much fan fare. I think i'll be using it from now on. I think I'm going to try my 1301T at this just for giggles.

I shot the last game with his gun. A new to him Browning Citori O/U. Barrel is 26" but I'm not certain of the exact model.

Name:  IMG_20220101_120636_466.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  53.7 KB
    My 1187 for reference.
    Name:  IMG_20220101_120636_500.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  59.5 KB

His Browning was beyond easy to shatter clays with. It mounted easy, and sight picture was a snap. While I still think an A400 or A300 Ultima would be best for my use case... I wonder if we're leaving a lot of enjoyment, fun, and options on the table by ignoring O/U guns.

I think I'm going to try my 1301T at this just for giggles.
    Be aware, some flying-target ranges have minimum barrel lengths. Best to check ahead or just plan to use the shorty on the "back nine" where you're not in clear view of the clubhouse.

His Browning was beyond easy to shatter clays with. It mounted easy, and sight picture was a snap. While I still think an A400 or A300 Ultima would be best for my use case... I wonder if we're leaving a lot of enjoyment, fun, and options on the table by ignoring O/U guns.
    AFAIK the best shooters in the world shoot OU. That said, from my perspective...

• I want some amount of parity with the defense guns, primarily for the wife. Buying her an A300 is the gateway to my getting a 1301.
    • OU are, IMO, like revolvers in that people *think* they are simpler but they aren't. In talking with a guy that ran a facility I was at, they changed from some OU to the A300 due to reliability issues and have been happy with the change.
    • Along those lines, an OU is more expensive to get "right" (maybe that makes them like 1911s, IDK...). I think it was discussed early in this thread, but at $700 the A300 is a good option and there is no good OU option at that price point.

I’ve shot a Beretta A400 with the Kick Off, it softens the initial hit of recoil with light target loads and you can feel it compress with heavy trap loads. If the Ouch! of recoil causes the shooter a problem the Kick Off should help especially if they are shooting 100+ rounds a day.

I’m not serious about competition so I shoot different guns depending on my mood. IMHO Your 1301T will shoot quite well if you do your part. I have two 870’s 21” guns with RemChoke, vent rib, Magpul stock, Hogue fore ends and +3 magazine tubes. I keep one loaded at my house and the other gets to go out to play. We’ve broken clays at over 50 yards using the skeet tube reliably, not just a golden bb event. The Magpul stock actually works quite well, the +3 magazine shifts the balance forward even when not adding firepower.

I wonder if we're leaving a lot of enjoyment, fun, and options on the table by ignoring O/U guns.
    After spending years shooting clays with various guns I just spent way too much on a Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting mostly for joy of ownership. Plus I’ve been impressed with my wife’s Syren version of the same gun. Since it is a “competition” gun I may pick up a few birds but I don’t expect the Heavens to open and angels to break my targets with divine fly swatters. The perceived pluses for an O/U are balance, single sighting plane, selection of chokes, reliability, durability and you don’t have to chase ejected brass. No matter what gun you settle on fit is the biggest factor to reliably breaking targets.

In reality your 1100 will break any reasonable target just as well as any other gun with your 1301T close behind.

My advice would be buy flats of ammo when they’re available and find a convenient place to go shoot. From there you’ll find out what you like.

User Tag List