Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

For what it's worth, over the past few months my son has been getting into clay shooting (mostly Wobble Trap, with some sporting clays mixed in). He's picking it up quick. We took some lessons with a rental gun - the instructor handed him a Franchi Instinct SL O/U 20 gauge - and he just seemed to connect with the gun. So when I spotted one on sale I picked it up. The aluminum receiver means it is exceptionally lightweight, but the recoil is actually quite soft. Came with a nice set of extended chokes and a decent case. I'm sure he'll eventually outgrow it, but right now couldn't be happier with it. Watching him shoot it makes me wonder why I lug around the 12 gauge...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Had to dig up this thread to brag on my wife….

We shot a round of clays yesterday, and she broke her all time record by a whopping margin! She shot 71/100 yesterday, while her previous best was in the 50s!

I’m so proud of her that I don’t even know my own score!

I *think* that our recent pistol range session where she learned to shoot her new Glock 48 paid off on the clays course. Interestingly, I also think she did as well as she did with the handguns because of her previous outings with the shotgun. So there’s something to the cross-training thing, I think.

If you’re trying to get your wife interested in the shooting sports, finding something she’s good at and/or enjoys (typically for most humans, the same thing ) and then cross-training on other guns or disciplines may be a way “in”.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Deleted
    Last edited by Oldherkpilot; 06-21-2021 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Not pertinent

anybody got a vest they like?

is it worth trying to carry a whole box of shells in a pocket on a vest? I'm assuming not. But I could be persuaded that a property textured shoulder pad and a picket that'd hold a good 10 shells for a station wouldn't be a bad thing.

We're in SE Florida, so something all-ish mesh would seem appropriate (save that textured shoulder pad, obviously).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

is it worth trying to carry a whole box of shells in a pocket on a vest? I'm assuming not. But I could be persuaded that a property textured shoulder pad and a picket that'd hold a good 10 shells for a station wouldn't be a bad thing.

We're in SE Florida, so something all-ish mesh would seem appropriate (save that textured shoulder pad, obviously).
    I like Beretta's vests. Many are ambi. They do make a mostly mesh version. Something like this

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/mens-c...ull-mesh-vest/

I have a cloth one and a mesh one. Both have held up well. The cloth isn't particularly hot. I have a browning mesh vest that I'm not nearly as fond of.

is it worth trying to carry a whole box of shells in a pocket on a vest?
    Many clay shooters prefer t-shirts and a shell pouch over a vest.

https://www.etsy.com/market/leather_shell_pouch
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

My wife uses a Browning vest from Cabelas in the summer but switches to a canvas Beretta hunting vest from the Beretta shop in Sicily in the fall and winter. She just puts enough shells in the pocket for each station with the remainder riding in the cart or baby buggy.

For me, the pouches get in the way getting in and out of a cart. I just put 8-10 shells in my pants pocket in summer and a half box or so in the slash pocket of a Carhart type vest in cooler weather. I may get a Wild Hare vest this year as they’re popular with the guys in the club I shoot most at.

I have the mesh Beretta one and I like it a lot. I carry box in each front pocket and sometimes one in the back bird pocket. I much prefer carrying shells in vest pockets than a belt mounted rig.

Thanks guys.

I found this thing after some googling, and it may be a good option for me, although I was hoping to also get the texture of a shoulder pad to help keep the butt from hanging up on whatever shirt I happen to be wearing.
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabe...f-vest-for-men

I’ve tried the shell pouch on a simple belt and hated it for a lot of reasons. That half vest might address some of them.

Right now I’m just setting a box of shells on the rail of the “house” but want something for if I’m shooting somewhere that doesn’t have that. We just set the box on the rail now and both load out of it…. Which, as I type out, makes me realize that having a vest for me is still going to be a problem because then the wife won’t have the box to load from. Shit.

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys.

I found this thing after some googling, and it may be a good option for me, although I was hoping to also get the texture of a shoulder pad to help keep the butt from hanging up on whatever shirt I happen to be wearing.
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabe...f-vest-for-men

I’ve tried the shell pouch on a simple belt and hated it for a lot of reasons. That half vest might address some of them.

Right now I’m just setting a box of shells on the rail of the “house” but want something for if I’m shooting somewhere that doesn’t have that. We just set the box on the rail now and both load out of it…. Which, as I type out, makes me realize that having a vest for me is still going to be a problem because then the wife won’t have the box to load from. Shit.
    After some YouTube research I’ve discovered that the Brits solve this problem by having a guy that loads their gun for them as they’re shooting. They just open the action and some plebe drops two more shells in the gun for them.

User Tag List