Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

I shot ATA Trap for a number of years. Singles with a Remington 1100 TA Full choke, mostly. I kept an O/U for doubles because I found the clatter of the automatic a distraction.

I loaded mostly 1 1/8 oz #8, seems like I did better than with 7 1/2. I was working on 1 ounce loads in later days. I even loaded some 7/8 oz 12 ga for the little bit of Skeet I shot.

Shot is so expensive now, the casual shooter had just as well shop Walmart. Avoid the really cheap 7/8 oz stuff.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I even loaded some 7/8 oz 12 ga for the little bit of Skeet I shot.
    Shot is so expensive now, the casual shooter had just as well shop Walmart.
    We reload, but mainly in order to load 3/4oz skeet loads in both 12g and 20g, in 20g for reduced recoil (that darn gun is light...) and in 12g to make them cheaper. I think we are still "saving" money, but it would be darn hard to cost justify the tools and the time.

Site Supporter
    I just reload 28 gauge now. Could not justify reload for 12/20 when shot got so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I just reload 28 gauge now.
    That would be like printing money!
    When I bought my 20g I was thinking about making the 28g plunge, but I thought 20 would be more versatile and then I came into a big leaf bag so full of 20g AA & STS hulls it is hard to lift, and I go a 20.

Site Supporter
    When I was an active Sporting Clays shooter - I enjoyed shooting the side matches in 20 gauge, 28 gauge, and 410. Still have the Remington 1100 Sporting Clays model 20 gauge and 28 gauge. Used my shooting buddies Rem 1100 410.

Question, should I be able to lock the bolt to the rear on my new a300? If so, how?

I’ve tried pushing the carrier release button as, outside of the safety, it’s the only thing I’m seeing. I did RTFM and didn’t see anything in there.

I just saw this in the manual under "load check"

Pull back the breech bolt to lock it into the open position and engage the safety before handing the shotgun to another person.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Question, should I be able to lock the bolt to the rear on my new a300? If so, how?
    Either snap it on an empty chamber or:
    Name:  PushOnThingy.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  66.0 KB

ah, I get it now. "snap" it back. I evidently wasn't being forceful enough with it. and the hammer has to be down.

are extended bolt handles for these guns a thing?are they common in clays?

ah, I get it now. "snap" it back. I evidently wasn't being forceful enough with it. and the hammer has to be down.
    I meant snap it so the hammer was down. On a new gun there is probably some resistance when you get to the back of the travel.
    Pushing the little nubbin in the picture will cause it to lock back with the hammer cocked. The only way I know is that I was at a SC event and saw some guy do it and went over and asked him "How didja do that?!?!"

are extended bolt handles for these guns a thing?
    I think so.

are they common in clays?
    No. You are gonna be walking around with the thing locked open, then just loading the two shells for the stage, and then it will be locked back. And word up, there are rules (and it is common practice) to ONLY load the two shells at a time. And only load the gun when you are completely on station. Some of the rules are a little fuddy, but you can go anywhere and go on course with a buncha guys you have never met, everybody does the same thing, and not be worried about people's gun handling because it is pretty tightly controlled.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-18-2018 at 08:46 AM.

User Tag List