Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    You might end up enjoying clay target shooting as much as pistol or rifle shooting. All are certainly addictive.
    I find skeet the most relaxing, you just show up, no targets or stands to setup, you hang out with your buddies, going from station to station as a squad, and when you are done you put your gun in the case and go. Unless, as is common at many shotgun clubs, ypu can have a beer (after you are done shooting).

Some clubs, typically the less expensive ones, expect you to pick up your empties, but if you get into it you will end up with an O/U.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Bass Pro. A30 synthetic $730 out the door. 3 chokes.

What else do I need? What shells? Decent case?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would just buy the bulk pack shells at Walmart. Either #8 or #7.5, know that most clay ranges allow nothing larger than 7.5 so the shot falls where they need it to. You might encounter good ol boy trap ranges where they do games from beyond the 27yd line and people use cheater reloads, but coloring in between the lines means #7.5, #8 or #9 (but you will not find cheap bulk shells in #9).

You need a pouch for shells. It could be as simple as this:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Dou...-Bag/161099724
    Don't get married to one, it is kinda like holsters, you will probably change you mind. Then keep your old one in the truck for when somebody forgets theirs or a newbie shows up without.

I would stick to a soft case for the assembled gun. Breakdown cases are better with O/U guns.

ETA, you already have glasses, but good ones are important at skeet, lots of pieces from the incoming targets at station one and seven rain down on you frequently. Unless the high house has fresh paint one look above your head will reinforce this
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-13-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    Bass Pro. A30 synthetic $730 out the door. 3 chokes.

I assume this is a Beretta A300 Synthetic 12 gauge? Great choice. Here is my advice from a former active clays shooter. It comes with Full, Modified, and Improved Cylinder. I suggest you will use the IC choke the most. You can use IC on the skeet field, many sporting clays shots, and if you are a "quick" shooter even on trap. You may want to use the Modified choke on Sporting Clays "longer shots" and on Trap. I suspect you will not use your Full choke much. All that said, you may want to go to a patterning board and shoot your shotgun and shell combination to see how your specific shotgun, shell, choke combination shoots. You may want to add a "more open" choke like Cylinder or Skeet in future.

Shells. I used to reload my 12 gauge shells but as the price of components (especially lead shot) increased - I switched to the bargain hunting loads. I bought my shells by the case (multiple cases at a time) from Walmart, Dicks, etc. when they had their annual Dove/Quail load promotions. I broke a lot of clay pigeons in Sporting Clays with cheap promo 1 oz #8 or #7.5 shells - often Winchester, Remington, or Federal. I would not buy the "Trap", "Sporting Clays", or "Handicap" loads as you do not need the accompanying recoil or cost. In theory, you want to shoot #9 shot at Skeet or close range Sporting Clays but #8 will do just fine. You probably want to use #7.5 for trap or long range Sporting Clays. Expensive shells in general do not break clays any better than cheap shells.

Some people like to change chokes and shot sizes and get the right choke/shot combo for a specific targets. Others want one choke and one shot size all the time. You can decide which of those camps you fit in. To make things easy, IC choke and #7.5 1 oz promo load is easy and will break 90% of targets.

You need a way to carry shells around the course. Vest or belt with shell bag. I am a vest guy - carry shells and choke tubes. Shell bag on a belt is great.

Shotgun case - do you want to break down the shotgun into two or just want a sleeve like case and not break down? Your choice.

You need a good set of shooting glasses - you may want to consider at least two lens colors - a "light" and "dark lens". I use Oakley M frames with 3 lenses.

Ear protection. In ear or muffs - most muffs will interfere with stock fit.

Buy a bunch of promo #8 and #7.5s and start breaking clays. Enjoy knowing that your $730 shotgun breaks clays just as well as the $$$$$Kreighoffs, Perazzis, etc.

So it sounds like some low brass #8 and the IC choke will be the best “set it and forget it” combo?

They had some cased 12 ga at Bass Pro that said “AA” on it but we wanted to get out of dodge.

I’ll probably order the Ammo online as Bass Pro is 45 minutes away and the local Walmart... well... Walmart in SE FL... so any links to where to buy?

Site Supporter
    So it sounds like some low brass #8 and the IC choke will be the best “set it and forget it” combo?

They had some cased 12 ga at Bass Pro that said “AA” on it but we wanted to get out of dodge.

I’ll probably order the Ammo online as Bass Pro is 45 minutes away and the local Walmart... well... Walmart in SE FL... so any links to where to buy?
    #8 and IC = good

Here is a link to an example "target" 12 gauge #8 shell to purchase online - I think this one has free shipping (shipping shotgun shells is an issue with weight) - https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...8-p-78613.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    #8 and IC = good

Here is a link to an example "target" 12 gauge #8 shell to purchase online - I think this one has free shipping (shipping shotgun shells is an issue with weight) - https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...8-p-78613.aspx
    Yep! 250 shells = free shipping!

Am I correct in assuming this would get me through two "sessions" of 100?

Turns out the event I'm going to in two weeks has guns, shells and gear as part of the fee, so I'm debating whether I'll even take my new stuff or just use theirs to evaluate. I'm not paying the fee (work event) so even if there was a cost savings to use my own gear I don't really care. I think that maybe using theirs might give me some "free" insight into what else I want to buy without having to buy something I don't like.

I still feel ok about buying the gun. Prices went up everywhere after the new year so I'm good with locking it in, and I now have a shotgun that I believe I could use for any sort of flying-target use that I may get invited to. After the work event I'll buy some shells and some sort of pouch. I have another, personal, event in February where I'll plan on using all of my own stuff.

Site Supporter
    Case of 250 Shotgun shells should be fine for two 100 target sporting clays events. You need more than 100 shells per "round" as you may have some target malfunctions plus you may shoot a few extra shells if they throw "singles". I would still get a shell bag to carry your shells around the course.

Semiauto shotgun tip: I shot a semi for years for Sporting Clays (Rem 1100, Browning Gold, Beretta 391). The vast majority of the time I saw a competitor have an issue with a semiauto shotgun in competition - the shotgun was "dry" and needed lubrication. I "fixed" many semiauto shotguns for other competitors with some oil and a few paper towels. Other issues were poor quality reloads. Please note that your brand new semiauto shotgun may jam a few times while "new" and may need a box or two of shells through it to be 100%.

I'm way late to this game, but a sporting gun is the best all around for a casual shooter, and I am a big fan of a good semiauto since it soaks up some of the kick. Makes a difference if you're doing a lot of rounds. I got a good deal on a lightly used A400 xcel, and that's already more gun than I can shoot. Kinda wish I had an option one slot below it on the market, but I couldn't find anything that fit me as well.

Yep! 250 shells = free shipping!

Am I correct in assuming this would get me through two "sessions" of 100?
    Yes, but be aware that shotgunning seems to be a high volume endeavor, always take plenty. Part of this is because it is fun. Also, some of the ranges are remotely located (no indoor ranges) so by the time you get there one round of sporting is not that much. But most places have some kind of shells available.

Also, if you are doing some kind of charity event, most of the time they have a little fun side shoot of some type, and that burns up a lotta ammo.

And in the case of shotgun sports, IMO Rule One is to have fun, follow this one rule and you will probably have a buttload of fun

Rule Two is probably to not over choke, hitting is fun, and marginal hits are fun, they look the same on the score sheet. Check this out:
    Name:  ShotCount.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  47.4 KB
    Qty459 of #8, put in an open chock and let them eat!
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-15-2018 at 11:28 AM.

User Tag List