Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone have firsthand access to a Scabbard Tech golf cart mount? I'm talking about this part
    https://www.scabbard.com/product/strut-right-side/

They list it as being for EZ Go, but I have a club car. I'm wondering the hole spacing on the cart-attachment side so I can see if maybe it'll match up to the holes on my cart.

I suppose worst-case I could just drill another hole(s)...
    Also, revisiting this, these things re worth every penny! So awesome!

Site Supporter
    Maybe I missed it, but how tall is your wife? I’m trying everything I can to get my girlfriend into shooting clays with me because these days it’s close to my only hobby. I mostly shoot skeet but doubt she’ll find that as fun as I do so hoping to get her into sporting clays. My gun, fit to me at 6’3”, is hilariously too big for her. Trying to decide if a regular A300 I could repurpose into my own backup gun if she won’t go will work or if I should get the RL, which would never fit me.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but how tall is your wife? I’m trying everything I can to get my girlfriend into shooting clays with me because these days it’s close to my only hobby. I mostly shoot skeet but doubt she’ll find that as fun as I do so hoping to get her into sporting clays. My gun, fit to me at 6’3”, is hilariously too big for her. Trying to decide if a regular A300 I could repurpose into my own backup gun if she won’t go will work or if I should get the RL, which would never fit me.
    5’4” maybe? She shoots the a300 with no spacers in the stock. I couldn’t even use the factory screws as they were too long.

I think every sporting clays facility I’ve been to rents guns. Might be best to try that route. We did that first, and even had her shoot some 20 Grage guns at first, but ultimately she liked my gun so we bought another one and made it as short as possible.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I sold several lesser shotguns a few months back, and I'm continuing to liquidate other stuff of questionable utility. I have been thinking about turning some of that money back into a single, quality Italian semi-auto suitable for birds, both those made of delicious meat and those made of clay. With "everything" being sold out, I checked. It seems that there is still some availability of Beretta A400s and prices haven't yet gone up. It may still make sense to buy.

I'm 6'4", moderately fit. I have a slightly gimpy right shoulder due to an old snowboarding incident, and have had back surgery. So I expect that if I end up shooting as many rounds of 12ga as one might at clay pigeons, something like the Kick-Off system could easily pay for itself in reduction of further pain & suffering and medical expenses over the long term. In any case, it would be prudent insurance against such an outcome. Plus, I like the mechanical and manual of arms sameness relative to the 1301. I imagine this being "the one" traditional sporting shotgun to be used for all relevant purposes for the next 20-40 years, barring getting super hopped up on competition and going down a rabbit hole on shotgun tech, which is unlikely.

I'm thinking one of the camo'ed models would be the way to go, as it favors the delicious meat side of things while functioning equally well for the less tasty clay side of the shotgun universe. A non-camo'ed model may fit in better at the club, but is at at least a theoretical disadvantage if going after meat.

It looks like the A400 Xtreme Plus is the new model (oversized bolt handle and bolt release lever like the gen 2 1301s, plus a mid-rib bead) and has replaced the A400 Xtreme Unico, with smaller bolt handle and a bolt release button. Is there any reason to seek out the more traditional model?

I'm wondering about the long-term durability of the soft-touch rubber on the stocks. I've seen a lot of that kind of stuff turn to goo after enough years, everything from a Nikon camera body to a BMW interior and power tools.

Any general or specific thoughts?

Anything else I should do other than go back and read this whole thread from the beginning?

@e_stern
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It seems that there is still some availability of Beretta A400s and prices haven't yet gone up.
    Excellent logic.
    My only tweak to the theory would depend on where you plan to shoot targets. The club I shoot at every week for $4 expects you to pick up you hulls (you mentioned back surgery...), when i visit my BiL and we shoot his club ($6) they pay people to pick them up for you. And it seems like when we pay $40-$50 to shoot sporting clays it is acceptable to leave them on the ground.

Just wondering if you end up investing $1200 or so in an A400 and would maybe end up wanting a 686 that woulda been $2k?

I have a 391 Extrema and had a A400, both great.

Also what little bird hunting I do is done with the 686, and it is supposed to be a target gun, but the birds don't seem to know the difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The rubbery bits in that Beretta would concern me too
    https://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xtreme-plus/

Being in Florida we also see parts like that go to hell quicker than maybe they were supposed to.

Not being a bird hunter I can’t say, but my sense is that none of that Camo really matters and is really more about marketing than practicality. Seems like lots of ducks and geese and such got killed with wooden shotguns for years... I don’t think it let a paint job dictate my choice (but, then, I painted my gun tan myself, much to my wife’s chagrin, so what do I know).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The rubbery bits in that Beretta would concern me too
    https://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xtreme-plus/

Being in Florida we also see parts like that go to hell quicker than maybe they were supposed to.
    Did some more digging on the rubber issue.

Micro Core Recoil Pads and Kickoff Cover Deterioration

includes a link to Beretta's site:

Why is the Rubber on my Firearm Melting/Disintegrating?

and a link to this page:

MIDSOLE MIDLIFE CRISIS

I had that latter situation happen to a pair of Raichle (Swiss-made) hiking boots. They were ~10 years old, and the soles started coming off about 3.5 miles into an easy 5 mile loop. Got them resoled with Vibram and they continue to be excellent, although the miles accumulate more slowly than when I was younger and lived in a place with better nature.

Another potential factor is what the guns sit on in the safes. I have noticed that many times, soft-touch polymers will get gooey where they are in contact with other polymers. It's like the chemicals in the two materials are drawn to each other and intermingle. It could be that if the butt pads are in contact with foam on the bottom of a safe, that's part of the issue.

A couple weeks ago, I stopped by @RexG's favorite LGS to look around. They had a used A400 with a butt pad that left pieces of itself on my shirt just from shouldering it a few times. Looked pretty much like the pictures.

I guess the OK part is that I am allergic to DEET and prefer clothing to sunscreen, although I do put sunscreen on the backs of my hands.

Looks like the butt pad and the kick-off insert for the stock are available. Brownells continues its tradition on those items of charging 14 percent more for Beretta parts than the MSRP on Beretta's site; at least MGW seems to be getting more parts coverage for Beretta recently.

I'm less confident in the 20-40 year concept now, in spite of Beretta being 500 years old. Someone on another forum posted a response from Beretta noting that replacement forearms and buttstocks for their A391 had been sold out for awhile. That is a predictable result of parts being replaced at greater-than-planned-for rates. I've seen it happen with cars, where a particular model has trouble with one system, such as the transmission, and you end up needing parts that are unavailable or very expensive because the supply has been consumed, when with other cars that are quite a bit older and otherwise similar, those parts are cheap and plentiful, because they don't get used up faster than the cars that need them.

Will have to keep thinking about this one.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-11-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Excellent logic.
    Thanks. I'm going to sleep on it soon, but at this point, I'm unlikely to buy a Beretta.

I'm not looking at any specific use in the near term. It was more like use this opportunity to set myself up with a very durable piece of quality, excellent performing hardware, so that when a need/opportunity to do traditional shotgun things arises in the future, I won't have to rush out and pay whatever it costs to get set up in the moment. I could just pull the rig out of the safe and go. But at least with the Beretta, it's not clear it would work that way. Significant chance of pulling it out of the safe and finding expensive problems that are likely to become difficult to solve at some point well inside the time horizon I was thinking this idea would cover.

It may make more sense to just buy a 28-in vent rib barrel to swap onto the 1301.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-11-2020 at 10:56 PM.
    Not another dime.

Thanks. I'm going to sleep on it soon, but at this point, I'm unlikely to buy a Beretta.

I'm not looking at any specific use in the near term. It was more like use this opportunity to set myself up with a very durable piece of quality, excellent performing hardware, so that when a need/opportunity to do traditional shotgun things arises in the future, I won't have to rush out and pay whatever it costs to get set up in the moment. I could just pull the rig out of the safe and go. But at least with the Beretta, it's not clear it would work that way. Significant chance of pulling it out of the safe and finding expensive problems that are likely to become difficult to solve at some point well inside the time horizon I was thinking this idea would cover.

It may make more sense to just buy a 28-in vent rib barrel to swap onto the 1301.
    FWIW, if you look back in this thread to whenever I bought my a300, I have yet to clean it, have yet to have any failures, and all I do is pull it out of the safe and then go shoot 100 of the cheapest shells I can find. I haven’t counted rounds but it has to be up over 1k by now. My wife’s matching gun has less rounds but the same usage.

FWIW, if you look back in this thread to whenever I bought my a300
    Th A300 costs about as much as a barrel.

User Tag List