Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

I'm interested in getting a shotgun for trap/skeet. This is not a hobby I intend to take up, but I get invited to go often enough, with people I'd like to spend time with, that I'd like to have my own gun/gear.

Speaking of, any other basic equipment I should have or would want to have?

Any other basics I need to know?

Tagged for later reading.
    I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

Site Supporter
    Be prepared for an abysmal level of unsafe gun handling / muzzle sweeping.

You looking at an auto or O/U?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    You looking at an auto or O/U?
    I have no preference. Open to either, pending pros/cons.

For O/U without breaking the bank, I like the Franchi Instinct L. It can be had for $1k or less new & is a great gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Be prepared for an abysmal level of unsafe gun handling / muzzle sweeping.
    Likely true. But it's great fun. And as long as everyone follows the kabuki rituals, accident/injuries are ulra-rare. Trap guns and skeet guns are different animals. if you intend for one gun to do both, a 1100 sporting might serve you well.

Other than that, all you'll need is a nice bag for your shells, and suitable earpro. and a hat.

Breaking clays is some of the most fun you can have at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have no preference. Open to either, pending pros/cons.
    Make sure you can change chokes. F/O front sights are great too. and if you go O/U, I like ones that don't engage the safety when you close the action. A good O/U makes you feel great, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm interested in getting a shotgun for trap/skeet. This is not a hobby I intend to take up, but I get invited to go often enough, with people I'd like to spend time with, that I'd like to have my own gun/gear.

Speaking of, any other basic equipment I should have or would want to have?

Any other basics I need to know?
    Among competitive shooters, a trap gun is not the same as a skeet gun. A good compromise for the occasional shooter is to get a semiautomatic sporting clays gun, and then use that for when you shoot any of the shotgun sports, including trap and skeet. I would look for a used Beretta 391. Beretta 391s were, and maybe still are, the most popular semi-auto in sporting clays circles for a long time. They are very reliable, and they came with stock shims so that slight alterations could be made to make the gun fit you better. Beretta's current version is this: http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xplor-unico/ Beretta also has a semi-auto called the A400 Xcel Multitarget. I have not seen or handled one of those as of yet, but that shotgun is able to be set up for trap, skeet and sporting clays.

Although not very popular, I have always liked the feel of Remington 1100s. Whatever you get, you need to make sure that you can change chokes. Any sporting clays shotgun you get should have interchangeable chokes.

You will want/need a shell pouch, shooting glasses and ear protection. A shooting bag is also desirable that will hold at least 6 boxes of shells and your eyes/ears (glasses, muffs). That way, when you are walking to the skeet or trap field, your shotgun will be in one hand and your bag in the other. You don't want to have to try to make multiple trips to your car for boxes of shells while shooting or try to juggle a number of loose boxes of shells when carrying your gear to the field.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Shotgun; 02-22-2016 at 05:01 PM.

You will need different choke tubes for trap and skeet, but for clays I think people swap choke tubes far more than they need to. If possible try some shotguns before you decide on O/U or auto.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List