Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any reason to do anything other than the standard bead as a "sight"? Also, are all beads the same? If I just go with the standard bead can I just use any bead or do I have to buy a Beretta bead?
    Might be simple and cheap to just buy something like this:
    http://www.hivizsights.com/product/flame/
    or:
    http://www.hivizsights.com/product/sparkiii/
    because they come with a bunch of screws, including one that is supposed to (according to their chart) fit your gun.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-03-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Site Supporter
    Glad this got bumped as I'd forgotten to replace my bead.

Any reason to do anything other than the standard bead as a "sight"? Also, are all beads the same? If I just go with the standard bead can I just use any bead or do I have to buy a Beretta bead?
    Unless you are using it for turkey hunting where fiber optic might help, I would recommend the standard bead or the white bead that came on my A400 Xcel. A red/green fiber optic may draw your eye to it too easily which is a distraction for clays.
    Adam

Wife and I went out for a private lesson this past weekend. Both really enjoyed the hell out of it. I shot my A390 again and she shot some kind of loaner Browning/Citori over/under 20ga.

She wasn't happy with the fit and feel of the gun. I told her they pretty much all feel the same but the instructor started talking up these women-specific guns like Syren that do funky shit to the stock to make them more woman friendly. I looked them up and they start at $2k so we're not going that, plus I told wife "women have been shooting 'men's guns' for 200 years, but now women suddenly need a custom fit $3k shotgun?"

Which brings me to...

any reasonable suggestions for a shotgun for her? The overall length and weight of my gun seems a bit much for her. One benefit of the O/U is the lack of a receiver, making the gun shorter. She had some arm reach issues getting her support hand out there, and even with the youth model gun she was shooting she wasn't happy with her hand placement.

One thing I want to do is get her over to Bass Pro and have her hold a few different guns so we can sort out whether there's some actual problem with the Citori she was shooting or if the issues were issues she'd have with any gun.

Shotguns can definitely mount/feel/point differently, even with very minor differences in length of pull, drop at comb & heel, cast-on or cast-off, balance point, etc.

I know: it sounds like a bunch of BS. But after you've been shooting regularly with the same shotgun and then you try a similar shotgun but with a 1/4" difference in drop or LOP dimension, I guarantee that you will notice the difference. Good & experienced shooters can overcome such differences easily with a different hold; less experienced shooters will likely experience frustration.

For example, female shooters will often benefit from less drop at the comb than will your average male, as women's faces are somewhat smaller than men's. Meaning, too much drop will cause the female shooter's sight line over the receiver to be partially obstructed during the mount & swing.

I'm about to sell a Browning Cynergy CX with 30" barrels, like-new condition. 12g but shoots soft. I like everything about it except that it has about 1/8" too little drop at the comb for me. This causes/forces me to have to 'cheek-down' on the comb more than I'd like to achieve the proper mount. Might be just the ticket for someone with a smaller face/build than I have.

yeah I noticed some of the women's guns seem to have a bit of a monte carlo to get the stock closer to their cheek.

yeah I noticed some of the women's guns seem to have a bit of a monte carlo to get the stock closer to their cheek.
    Stuff like this could be an option:
    https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/cheek-eez/

Randy Wakeman has posted quite a bit about the SA-20 and the SA-28. If you're thinking of buying an SA-20, you should have a look at some of his stuff.

We went out again yesterday. This time we rented a Beretta A400 Xplor for yer (pretty sure it was this model).

Overall she seemed to like it better, but she only got through about half the stations before she was complaining of shoulder pain. I don't believe she's quite "getting" the concept of the "pocket" (I now I didn't when I first started shooting a .308 bolt action) so I think that may be contributing. It was also cold, for us, so she had on layers that I also think were contributing to the pain (wadded up material behind the recoil pad, that kind of thing).

I did shoot the rental gun for a few birds as well, and I have to say that I didn't find the recoil of the 20ga that much noticeably less than my A300 12ga. My gun supposedly weighs 7.1 lbs to the A400's 6.7 lbs, so maybe that's part of it. But that also has me questioning the logic of the SA-20's 5.6 lbs!

We went out again yesterday. This time we rented a Beretta A400 Xplor for yer (pretty sure it was this model).

Overall she seemed to like it better, but she only got through about half the stations before she was complaining of shoulder pain. I don't believe she's quite "getting" the concept of the "pocket" (I now I didn't when I first started shooting a .308 bolt action) so I think that may be contributing. It was also cold, for us, so she had on layers that I also think were contributing to the pain (wadded up material behind the recoil pad, that kind of thing).

I did shoot the rental gun for a few birds as well, and I have to say that I didn't find the recoil of the 20ga that much noticeably less than my A300 12ga. My gun supposedly weighs 7.1 lbs to the A400's 6.7 lbs, so maybe that's part of it. But that also has me questioning the logic of the SA-20's 5.6 lbs!
    I have an A400 (had?, my BIL has it and it might be sold or traded...) like linked, and I do not think it recoils lightly. Actually, most 20g guns, IMO, are light enough to offset the fact that they are throwing less shot. There are also products like this:
    https://graco-corp.com/product/a400-cw/
    That add some weight that helps swing and reduces recoil. There are also options that get drilled into the stock. Some shooters drill a hole and pour some melted lead in the hole. Once I experimented with mixing some shot into some Bondo.

Also, not sure if my BIL is totally committed to the A400 deal. I have shortened the stock about 3/8" (didn't grind the pad yet) and have one of the Graco units. If you might be interested I could take his temperature when I see him in a few days. PM me if you would want more detail.

ETA: Has she tried your gun with 1oz loads?
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-24-2018 at 02:24 PM.

User Tag List