Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

Thanks!

I think this is the page you're on?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-loads?g=29165

The only 1 oz load there is this one and it's out of stock.
    12 Gauge Shells 2 3/4 1oz #8 Buyer's Club $6.26 Non-Member$6.59 NOTIFY ME
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-01-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So I screwed around and this is out of stock now. Anyone have an option B?
    No specific link, but it is as simple as:
    1-1/8oz
    #8 (best) or #7.5 (fine)

Just find the cheapest deal you are happy with. If you are not going to reload the hulls (or maybe even not even pick them up) it really doesn't matter what you buy. Luckygunner has a bunch. Not free shipping but it might be worth checking. And I know you dont wanna, but Walmart typically has what you need. You can slide in at Automotive, sporting goods is typically close and you can pay either there or at the auptmotive counter.

The only 1 oz load there is this one and it's out of stock.
    I wouldn't get caught up on the 1oz load, just they are sometimes a deal because there is less shot, and shot is the most expensive component.

This is one of those deals where it is hard to screw up, just get the cheapest thing you can find.

Now that I said that, about the only thing you can screw up is getting shot that is too large. No #5 or #6, because most clay ranges limit you to #7.5 as the largest. This is so the shot does not carry farther, and falls where it is supposed to, as in still on club property. The club I am in locally (predominatly pistol/rifle) used to have a single skeet field and when the wind was strong to the west shot was landing in the neighbor's pond, so they had to quit using it.

ETA: Didn't mean to infer that you shouldn't get 1oz loads. Shotgun gives good advice, sometimes they are a good deal at the big box camo stores.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-01-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Has the new shotgun been shot yet? I don’t think I could have waited a day before pulling the trigger on a new firearm.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Has the new shotgun been shot yet? I don’t think I could have waited a day before pulling the trigger on a new firearm.
    No it hasn't.

logistics of getting out and shooting for me suck. it's 1+ hours each way to the nearest range besides the usual collection of decrepit indoor facilities. First shoot is this weekend, which is also the event that precipitated the purchase. I figure if something goes wrong, someone else will have a gun I can use at an event like this. I did pick up some basic gear...

MidwayUSA Shell Pouch with Belt Black
    MidwayUSA Heavy Duty Shotgun Case
    Federal Top Gun Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1oz #8 Shot

That pouch is a bargain, tempted to buy one as spare.
    Those shells are exactly what ya needed.

No it hasn't.

logistics of getting out and shooting for me suck. it's 1+ hours each way to the nearest range besides the usual collection of decrepit indoor facilities. First shoot is this weekend, which is also the event that precipitated the purchase. I figure if something goes wrong, someone else will have a gun I can use at an event like this. I did pick up some basic gear...

MidwayUSA Shell Pouch with Belt Black
    MidwayUSA Heavy Duty Shotgun Case
    Federal Top Gun Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1oz #8 Shot
    You are all set. You made good choices. Now, go and dust some clays! I hope you have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    That pouch is a bargain,
    Those shells are exactly what ya needed.
    True that.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Shot my event. Had an absolute blast. The wives had all gotten together and got us a night in the cabins on-site and then the entry fee for the match. The four shooters in the rental golf cart and the wives following in my street-legal and lifted cart. My wife attached a gopro to the front of our cart and ran a time laps, video below.

Gun ran great, but I did pinch the crap out of my finger pulling the bolt back manually a couple of times so I think I'm going to get an extended bolt handle and probably also an extended bolt release for no real good reason.

No ammo issues at all.

The pouch I could take or leave. If I was having to walk the field I could maybe see it but given the cart, the clays basket on the front of the cart, and the fact that it's 6-8 shots per stage I don't know that I'd bother. I also didn't like getting in and out of the cart with the pouch.

This is the facility
    https://okcorralgunclub.com/

We got there early Friday and did a ride around on our cart, and I drove through the action bays they were setting up for USPSA this weekend, and really started to miss those matches and was starting to get excited about getting back out for some of those, but now that I've shot Sporting Clays I don't know if I'd pick USPSA over clays given a limited amount of range time.

Oh, and I shot a 73 out of 100. I'm pretty happy with that. My team's average was 68 and the winning team shot 88. The overall winner was a teenage boy and he shot 95!

Last edited by rob_s; 02-19-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Shot my event. Had an absolute blast.
    And that's why we shoot! You will get used to a pouch over time. You will end up carrying a couple of extra chokes in that pouch for convenience if you end up shooting with some regularity. Glad you had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    And that's why we shoot! You will get used to a pouch over time.
    Yeah, the pouch was probably weird because the cart was right there, and maybe it will not always be there.

And if you can find someplace to shoot skeet, it is weeknight fun that takes a fraction of the time of SC, and you will need to pouch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

User Tag List