Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

yeah, the hammer-down resistance was causing me to "short stroke" the bolt to some degree. Also being a new gun I wasn't wanting to break anything. I monkeyed with the little button briefly but it didn't seem to "catch" if the hammer was back and was gone if the hammer was down.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    are extended bolt handles for these guns a thing?are they common in clays?
    Some like extended bolt handles. But, like MMC said, you are walking around with the bolt open. You are rarely cycling the bolt by hand unless you have had a failure to fire or a malfunction of some sort. You only load two shells at a time, and the bolt locks back on its own after firing the second shell. When you are finished shooting, the bolt should be locked back on its own. You hand is not getting fatigued by having to cycle the bolt using the factory bolt handle. I don't have one on my 390, and I never saw a need to have one.

Some people get extended bolt handles in various colors just trying to dress up their gun a bit. http://www.briley.com/c-425-shotgun-parts.aspx Briley sells extended bolt handles, bolt release levers and magazine weights. You can color coordinate should you choose. Colorization can also help set your gun apart from others in a rack. People sometimes pick up the wrong gun from a rack at a sporting clays station. When they get to the next station, they discover they picked up the wrong gun and then come back looking for their own. Having a red (whatever your color of choice is) bolt handle, bolt release, and magazine weight may help prevent someone from picking up your shotgun mistaking it for their own.

I see after market bolt releases on clays courses much more than extended bolt handles. Many do find the after market bolt release works better than the original part.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    You are rarely cycling the bolt by hand unless you have had a failure to fire or a malfunction of some sort.
    Including malfunctions of the thrower and you have to clear and make safe before somebody goes downrange to fix it. Knowing where the little button on the lifter is will come into play, nicer than snapping it to drop the hammer. Everybody will expect locked open bolts before going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Colorization can also help set your gun apart from others in a rack. People sometimes pick up the wrong gun from a rack at a sporting clays station.
    And ya did buy a Beretta...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-18-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Shot Sporting Clays for the first time today. They had guns and all that so I didn’t use mine, but it turns out the rental guns were a300s! So I got to shoot “my” gun in a way. Very happy with my purchase, assuming my sample runs. I consider it a good sign that a high volume place chooses the same gun.

I hit 28 out of 48 so I was happy just to do greater than 50. Had a great time, and really looking forward to my second even next month.

Shot Sporting Clays for the first time today. They had guns and all that so I didn’t use mine, but it turns out the rental guns were a300s! So I got to shoot “my” gun in a way. Very happy with my purchase, assuming my sample runs. I consider it a good sign that a high volume place chooses the same gun.

I hit 28 out of 48 so I was happy just to do greater than 50. Had a great time, and really looking forward to my second even next month.
    Good shooting!
    Did you happen to see what chokes they had in the guns (the number of little notches)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Good shooting!
    Did you happen to see what chokes they had in the guns (the number of little notches)?

I did not. I didn’t even think to look.

I did not. I didn’t even think to look.
    Just thinking they were probably pretty open.

Site Supporter
    Not to toot my own horn here... but check this out... http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-outlander-sporting/
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    #8 and IC = good

Here is a link to an example "target" 12 gauge #8 shell to purchase online - I think this one has free shipping (shipping shotgun shells is an issue with weight) - https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...8-p-78613.aspx
    So I screwed around and this is out of stock now. Anyone have an option B?

So I screwed around and this is out of stock now. Anyone have an option B?
    https://image.sportsmansguide.com/ad.../161456_ts.jpg

Also, look for 1 oz dove and quail loads in either 7.5 or 8 at your local Bass Pro/Cabelas/Academy/Gander Mountain type stores. These shells are sometimes sold as loss leaders, especially before dove season, just to try to get people into the store. You can often find really good deals. Most dove and quail loads work just fine for clays as long as you pay attention to shot size and shot charge.

Edit --- I'm glad I clicked on the link to see if it would take you to the correct place. It did not. Go to sportsmansguide.com and surf around the 12 gauge 7.5 and 8 one ounce loads. The Remington Target loads I just tried to link for you are on sale for 5.99/box.

You can also try cheaperthandirt.com and midwayusa.com.

If, and hopefully when, you get into the sport, there should be bulk buying opportunities at even lower prices through local dealers. Conversations with the high volume shooters at your local clubs should lead you to those opportunities.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 02-01-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List