Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Beginner Trap & Skeet Gun

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Of course.

Especially with smaller shooters, gun selection has always been a struggle between lower weight for easier handling which in turn means more felt recoil, gun fit, and new shooters not really *getting* the technique (which I personally think is a large part of the problem here).

What I'm really most interested in is the most ubiquitous off-the-shelf shotgun used by women in sporting clays, preferably (well) under $1k.

Nobody is nearly as special as they think they are, and women have been shooting "men's guns" for hundreds of years successfully before Syren and others showed up hawking "you're so special" versions that cost $3k.

I really want her to try my A300 but at 6'-1" I have pretty much all the shims on the stock and we're going to have to deal with the LOP issue.

Beretta had an A300 Sporting RL (reduced length?) at SHOT Show this year: http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-ou...r-sporting-rl/

Reduced length, trigger reach, and grip circumference for smaller built shooters. MSRP is $1,100, so street is probably around where the standard A300 Sporting is. The grip and stock felt similar to what Beretta did with their upscale Vittoria line.

Site Supporter
    Shot the same tournament this weekend that started this all last year. I managed 80/100 so I was pretty proud of myself. A lot of the tips we got from the lesson we took really helped out.

Wife shot it too, with my a300. Made it all the way through and bronze 42. I was immensely proud of her. It only for finishing but for doing so well on only her 3rd try. Said she liked the a300 better than either of the other guns she’d shot before, so now I’ll buy a second identical gun for her and take the spacer out of the stock. And I’ll only have to stock 12ga, which is good since I accidentally ordered 6 boxes of 250, not the 6 boxes of 25 I thought I was ordering...

We are going on check out Quail Creek Plantation, a little north of the range we have been going to, with some friends in May, and the wife is going to shoot a ladies event in March at the range we have been going to (called “OK Corral”).

This is turning out to be the most fun I’ve had with a gun in a long, long, time.
    Great post. Women are THE growth demographic for shotgun sports. Good for you that your wife enjoys shooting and that you are getting her out to do that!!

While we're on the subject of new shotguns...

anyone that can help me understand the A400 line? There's the Xplor, the Xtreme, and the Xcel, and then there's also some sort of "unico" business... and then most of these are available with any without the "KO" option which I understand to be their kickoff shock-absorbing stock (which seems it may be able to be retro-fitted to the A300?)...

I'm not looking to mess with success since the wife likes the $750 A300, but I'm curious about some of these other options.
    Regarding your question, the Xcel is Beretta's current target shotgun. It cycles extremely fast for follow up shots. I have actually seen a fair number of women shooting this shotgun. The blue receiver of the Xcel, at least where I shoot, does not seem to appeal to men as much. There is a black version of the Xcel that men seem to prefer. The other models in your inquiry list are more used for hunting. They could certainly be used for target shooting, but you rarely see those models on clays courses.

Go with the a300. Since your wife likes that shotgun, do not mess with your success at this stage. The a300 stock should have shims, as I recall, and you can get it to fit reasonably well. You can do the shims yourself, but a gunsmith can help with that for not much money. A simple inexpensive fitting option you might consider is to have the stock cut a little shorter and a new recoil pad installed. At least you can get the length of pull right for your wife without spending too much money. If she can shoot without developing a recoil "egg" on her check and she is hitting targets, there is no need for a stock fitting at this time. Keep it fun. If she keeps with it (hopefully) she can consider better shotguns and stock fittings as her skills and interest increase.

Keep encouraging the spouse and have fun!
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Manbearspider View Post
    Beretta had an A300 Sporting RL (reduced length?) at SHOT Show this year: http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-ou...r-sporting-rl/

Reduced length, trigger reach, and grip circumference for smaller built shooters. MSRP is $1,100, so street is probably around where the standard A300 Sporting is. The grip and stock felt similar to what Beretta did with their upscale Vittoria line.
    thanks, that's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Go with the a300. Since your wife likes that shotgun, do not mess with your success at this stage. The a300 stock should have shims, as I recall, and you can get it to fit reasonably well. You can do the shims yourself, but a gunsmith can help with that for not much money. A simple inexpensive fitting option you might consider is to have the stock cut a little shorter and a new recoil pad installed. At least you can get the length of pull right for your wife without spending too much money. If she can shoot without developing a recoil "egg" on her check and she is hitting targets, there is no need for a stock fitting at this time. Keep it fun. If she keeps with it (hopefully) she can consider better shotguns and stock fittings as her skills and interest increase.
    Yes, the a300 has shims. Immediate plan is to get her one and take the shim out completely. See where we go from there. I'm frankly pretty encouraged that she managed to finish the course with my gun, as I'm 6' tall and pretty thin, and she's much shorter and dealing with boobs. I have to think that my gun less the shim will be a vast improvement for her.

User Tag List