Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: My 642 is a dog

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I went out last night and shot a few cylinders full of Remington 130gr FMJ ammo. Really liking these grips. They give my hand a little more beating than the UM Combats but its not too bad. Don't think I really need any texture on the grips. The finger grooves really lock me into the gun.

I need to get some 148gr wadcutter 750 fps-ish ammo to try.

I bought the grips on Gunbroker and with shipping they were $22.50. They are $25.75 shipped from PGS.
    Thanks - btw, I really like the way they look!

Took the 642 out for the first true range session today and to be honest the little fucker kicks like a mule. Funny thing though I picked up some perfecta 158 grain ammo at Walmart really cheap for plinking and that stuff had harsher recoil then the Ranger 130 +p stuff I got for my carry load. I really didn't mind the +p after the 50 rounds of perfecta! The trigger is smooth but heavy and the sights suck but I still love it. I will keep practicing but I am definitely going to find some 130 grain practice ammo and put on a set of CT LG-105s.
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 04-23-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Took the 642 out for the first true range session today and to be honest the little fucker kicks like a mule.
    It certainly takes some dedication to the platform to run it well.

Within the last week I also ran some Perfecta 158 grain lead round nose through my model 10's and the "J"'s. It was the hardest kicking 158's I have ever fired from supposedly standard velocity .38 Specials. I could NOT tell the difference between the Perfecta LRN and the Winchester 158 SWCHP +P I carry in those revolvers. Did some alternating cartridges and was at a loss to say which one fired. I would love to get some chrono data on the Perfecta rounds. I would wager they are stepping out at close to or actual +P velocities.

I felt the blazer aluminum 158gr LRNs are very soft shooting. Smoky as hell though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Add me to the list of those who love the J frame.

Just another 642, but this one is mine.

Name:  IMG_20160316_190124003.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  30.1 KB

Came with CT laser grips. They serve a purpose, but I'm not a fan of the grips.

Anyone else run a CT grip?
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I've got the older hard polymer CT grips. Very useful for both dry firing and shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    I felt the blazer aluminum 158gr LRNs are very soft shooting. Smoky as hell though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I have never, not once, gotten a full cylinder full of Blazer aluminum LRNs to fire through an aluminum framed snub, be it J-Frame or Colt D-Frame. Literally, I get bullet pull every single time and the gun locks up. They are great for practicing locked up revolver malfunction drills though...

I've had excellent luck with Prvi Partizan 158-grain flat-point. It shoots to aim and isn't too vicious to make it through a 100-round training session. Although, I suggest that people keep J-frame sessions to 50-rounds and dry fire more.

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-24-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Add me to the list of those who love the J frame.

Just another 642, but this one is mine.

Name:  IMG_20160316_190124003.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  30.1 KB

Came with CT laser grips. They serve a purpose, but I'm not a fan of the grips.

Anyone else run a CT grip?
    I have a set of CT grips on the 442 in my pocket right now.

It is my intention to purchase a pair of the CTC grips for my "J"s. The smaller size. I will be selling off my surplus SIG 229 stuff to get them. Between the SIG CTC gips, .22 caliber exchange kit and various 229 magazines I should be able to get them rather soon.

User Tag List