Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 642 is a dog

My 642 is a dog

My 642 is a dog and I mean that in the best sense of the word. Twice in the last 24 hours I've found myself grateful that it was in my front pocket. This morning we had a "neighbor" wander into the lab I work in asking if we had any ice cream---we test water and wastewater. This guys a local who spends a good bit of time wandering the streets around here. He's never caused any trouble but it was nice to just have that 642 there.
    Yesterday afternoon I was out on our property at the end of our dirt road when two strangers drove up, my alarm dog was off chasing rabbits or his imagination so I was caught away from the house. Again, no trouble, they said they were lost asked directions and left. That said I didn't know them and in between making mental notes on their truck and its license plates it was damn comforting to know the 642 was right there.
    It's just as faithful and true as the best dog and less likely to be off chasing varmints when you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That kind of peace of mind is unequaled with anything but a quality sidearm.

I'll be adding a 642 to the stable soon.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a well used 442 that I don't carry often, but am always thankful for when I do. One of the last guns I'd sell I think.

If I am awake, and not in a prohibited place, I have a 642 in my left front pocket.

It's amazing how comforting that uncomfortable hunk of metal can be at times. (with apologies to Clint Smith's apt not/comfortable/comforting remark)

A snubby in the pocket beats a Glock in the safe.

Generally staying in a hot, southwest metropolis.
    Some good anecdotal data points in this thread that align with others I've been researching on this forum. I think I may finally head down to my LGS and see about a trade... My only hang up is 642/442 vs 340 PD.

Thanks for sharing Eastex.

Quote Originally Posted by steaknvodka View Post
    My only hang up is 642/442 vs 340 PD.
    Green apple vs Washington Delicious; .38 Special vs .357 capable; three ounces weight difference.

Anyone who willingly fires full patch .357 in a 12 ounce AirLite J frame deserves the beating he takes. OTOH, the three ounces less weight (the 442/642 weighs 15 ounces) makes a huge difference in pocket carry. I would have never believed that, until I began carrying one, and was amazed. For belt/ankle carry, there is absolutely no reason to spend the extra several hundred simoleans for the AirLite gun.

Now... I just realized you may be talking about the non-titanium cylinder version of the 340. That puppy features a black-anodized stainless steel cylinder, and weighs the same, or perhaps an ounce more, than a 442/642.

I've been carrying a J frame, of one sort or another, for close to 40 years. IMO, the ONLY reason to spring large bucks for one of the titanium-cylindered J's is for the uber-light-weight pocket carry. The .357 option is interesting, I suppose, but turns it into an uncontrollable beast that is physically painful to shoot. Now, if they would re-issue the 342, then they'd have something. Mine is treasured, and not for sale at any price.

Anyway, unless you simply must have the .357 capability or the lightest possible pocket J, a 442 or 642 makes a whole lot more sense. For quite a few years now, S&W has claimed that the 442/642 series outsells everything else they produce. Dunno if that's true or not, but I have no trouble believing it.

I've had J frames in every caliber except .356TSW and never really liked any of them. However, there is something comforting about 148-158gr bullets in a BUG, so when I saw a reasonably priced 442 no-lock recently, I bought it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I almost went with a 340 due to it actually having a front sight. 45 years old and that ramp sight was killing me. Found a deal on a 642-1 and had a local gunsmith install a XS big dot on it. Couldn't be happier. Came very close to keeping all 5 shots on a paper plate at 25 yards which for me is decent shooting. Much faster getting hits up close too.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  57.5 KB

User Tag List