Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon 550 or Square Deal for a dedicated 9mm reloader.

Quote Originally Posted by The Apprentice View Post
    I already have a redding single stage press that I use for everything. I load small batches of .38/357 and 45acp and some precision riffle, I have always bought my 9 mm but saved my brass. I want to start bulk reloading 9mm for practice ammo. This will be a dedicated 9mm machine so for this use does the 550 offer much more with its abbility to add a case feeder are there any other advantages.
    If I was willing to spring for the case feeder I'd get a 650. If I was choosing between the 550 and a Square Deal B I'd get the 550 in a heart beat, but I probably wouldn't add a case feeder to it. The increase in production (or lack thereof) with manual indexing wouldn't be worth $200+ to me.

Site Supporter
    I have a SDB in 9mm and a 550 in .45. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten either another SDB or a 650 for the .45.
    Bottom LIne-if you are cranking out rounds in any volume, I like the auto indexing etc. YMMV

My first shooting mentor literally had 4 SDB set up one his bench in 9mm, 38/357, 44 and 45. This was his preferred set up for 20 + years until he sold them all and bought two 650s
    with one set up for small primers and the other large.

I bought and immediately sold an SDB when I first started getting into loading. It's tiny and the work-area was very cramped. I appreciate the additional space afforded by the bigger presses.

You can run a case feeder and a bullet feeder on a 550... Just saying. sure you have to index all the time, but that's not that bad...

(How? Use the seat & crimp combo die: sure a PITA to setup, but you only need to do it once really...)

I just helped a friend setup his SDB for 9mm, and I own a 550, 650, and a 1050. The advice to go with the 650 is solid. My 650 with casefeeder is my dedicated 9mm press and the 1050 is dedicated to 223. The 1050 would be a little nicer to use for 9mm but not enough to keep changing it back and forth between calibers.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

The number one reason to go 550 or 650 IMO is the incompatible dies that the SDB uses.

Get a 550 at least and you can grow into it without any worries and add calibers at will since it uses industry standard die sets.
    Last edited by disseminator; 03-26-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    You can run a case feeder and a bullet feeder on a 550... Just saying. sure you have to index all the time, but that's not that bad...

(How? Use the seat & crimp combo die: sure a PITA to setup, but you only need to do it once really...)
    Have you done this on the 550? Was it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Have you done this on the 550? Was it worth it?
    I have a close friend that did. He got it all set up and came over one night when I was on my 650 went home and sold his 550 set up and ordered a 650. He said the 650 was much smoother running with the case feeder and bullet feeder.

User Tag List