Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30 - Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    Even the best made guns will occasionally go tits-up, after they are screened by the master armorer, H&K takes their time in getting a functioning pistol back into the inventory. Our turn around on Sigs that have to go back to the factory is usually less than two weeks. A number of CBP P2000s that went back were not replaced for several months.
    Understood. But I would opine that is, in part, due to the fact that Sig has quite a few more customer service/repair techs than HK does… due to a higher volume of returns/problems.

And the fact that CBP's sub-nuclear/proprietary 155gr load being the cause for those broken P2000 slides probably caused a lot of head shaking at HK…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Understood. But I would opine that is, in part, due to the fact that Sig has quite a few more customer service/repair techs than HK does… due to a higher volume of returns/problems.

And the fact that CBP's sub-nuclear/proprietary 155gr load being the cause for those broken P2000 slides probably caused a lot of head shaking at HK…

CBP mostly converted to the light recoiling 135gr Win JHP in 2009 when they won the solicitation. I believe they converted to Fed 180gr JHP at the end of 2012, in part to allow for an easy piggy-back onto DHS bulk ammo purchases. I don't think there has been a lot of the high recoiling 155gr stuff in inventory for a while. I spoke to a CBP armorer about the long wait time on broken P2000s, and apparently H&K does their own investigation on the weapon before they will release a repaired or replacement firearm. Obviously there are plenty of pistols in the inventory, but that long of a wait starts to become a headache for inventory logs and issuing out a new serialized pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Define "value", please; as in, what it means to YOU in terms of shelling out for a defensive side arm that you will depend upon.
    Maybe I was vague, but it sounds like you and I are on the same page. My response was to GVT's statement... "park a P30 next to a Sig Pro or PX4, and it's hard to see where the extra $400 spent benefits the buyer."

What I mean specifically, is value in relation to comparable options is not my concern and cost is dead last on my list of things to consider, within reason of course. I'd love a Jason Burton 9mm Commander, but don't have $7,500 to pay for one. While the P30 is in fact more expensive than the PX4 or Sip Pro, I have no qualms paying the $900 for one (probably x2) if it in fact does what I need it to do.

Interesting thread as I keep thinking that I want a P2000 and haven't shot the LEM trigger either.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Maybe I was vague, but it sounds like you and I are on the same page. My response was to GVT's statement... "park a P30 next to a Sig Pro or PX4, and it's hard to see where the extra $400 spent benefits the buyer."

What I mean specifically, is value in relation to comparable options is not my concern and cost is dead last on my list of things to consider, within reason of course. I'd love a Jason Burton 9mm Commander, but don't have $7,500 to pay for one. While the P30 is in fact more expensive than the PX4 or Sip Pro, I have no qualms paying the $900 for one (probably x2) if it in fact does what I need it to do.
    What are you exactly looking for? that may help us help you

I've been a DA/SA Sig shooter for a couple of decades now. I got ahold of a used P30 9mm V3 DA/SA several years ago on a trade, so I figured I would see what all the fuss was about. My impressions were that the quality of the pistol was exceptional. I hadn't seen a LE mass produced pistol that nice since opening new boxes of W. German P226/P228s in the early 1990s. The DA/SA trigger was very similar in feel to the Sig's standard DA/SA trigger, although lighter and a tad longer overall. The grip felt great, and kept the pistol from shifting in the hand during trigger pulls. The first time I shot it I did a simple 30rd police course of fire, and I actually shot the P30 as well as a Sig P228 cold. With practice, I shot even better. Accuracy was outstanding out to 50 yards. The only negative I could find with it is that the slide was positioned more rearward than a P228, so the gun's recoil was a little more jumpy than the P228 and I could see a potential for limp-wristing problems under pressure. I liked the pistol, but decided that I didn't need it since I couldn't use it on or off duty.
    You found a P30 with a lighter than standard SIG? I must be unlucky. The couple of P30s I handled had absolutely horrible DA triggers and OK SA.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    You found a P30 with a lighter than standard SIG? I must be unlucky. The couple of P30s I handled had absolutely horrible DA triggers and OK SA.
    Apples to oranges I guess. I was using old school Sigs at the time, and they are known for having a stiffer main spring to allow for better ignition of military primers. The new Sig main springs do indeed feel lighter by comparison.

Craig, there an easy way to get HK quality and reliability, without the LEM trigger -- get a P2000 or P30 in DA/SA, change to a Wolff 12 pound mainspring, and carry on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Apples to oranges I guess. I was using old school Sigs at the time, and they are known for having a stiffer main spring to allow for better ignition of military primers. The new Sig main springs do indeed feel lighter by comparison.
    Thanks Hauptmann, appreciate the info.

Several Years ago I got a HK45 and P30 LEM. Todd's and nyeti's influence !

From the beginning I did better 25 yard head shots than I did with the GL17/19s. I had carried and shot GL21,30,19,17 for 23 years x 10,000 rounds a year. 10 years in AIWB.
    It took several thousand rounds to be able to do 7 yard failure drills and draw to head shots as fast and accurately.
    I think nyeti sums up the LEM well. Todd certainly proved it can be shot very well.

If it were 1990 and I was coming directly from carrying 1911 cocked and locked I would have gone with a cocked and locked HK. After 23 years with Glocks I was afraid that would bite me.

I have carried P30 LEM 9MM for several years and like the guns accuracy,build quality, and the hammer for AIWB.
    I think it is a little harder to get fast splits with the LEM than a Glock.
    Thumb on the hammer is comforting in the dark, in the rain, while you are trying to reholster under 2 layers of clothing and get back on your carbine.
    Overall I am quite happy with my HK P30 LEM 9mms

Part of me loves the USP45 (thanks GJM) and particularly the USPT45 and its great trigger and is tempted to go back to a cocked and locked gun.
    Last edited by 1slow; 02-20-2016 at 05:34 PM.

User Tag List