Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30 - Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Lol. How else are you supposed to remember which gun shoots which ammo to a slightly different POI? It gets confusing when you buy guns in increments of three. [emoji6]
    Exactly. I may have issues...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

This thread was quite helpful, thanks to all who posted. I may have the opportunity to work in a capacity where I can choose my sidearm, as opposed to being issued a G-lock for the past fifteen years. I'm quite comfortable with the Glock, am well set up on it, and was just going to get a G17 and think no more about it, BUT.......I've always wanted to be an HK fanboy....

I might need to grab an HK45 LEM to try out. And a P30 LEM, and a P30sk LEM, and....oh, no, here it goes.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

I've been researching TDA pistols for some time now. One of the pistols on my radar has been the P30. However, I am somewhat puzzled by the decocker.

(I speed-read through the latter part of this thread so apologies if someone answered this question already.)

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    For those running a V3, what are your chosen methods of de-cocking?

As a righty...

Two hands - do you break your grip and using your right thumb, or do you remove your support hand and use your left thumb?

SHO - Seems obvious.

WHO - Seems obvious, but somewhat daunting, much like a 1911 with a single sided safety. Hand size plays a big role here.
    As a left-handed shooter, I'm kind of at a loss with this myself. I can't seem to think of a really good technique for decocking. With two hands, I could flip the pistol horizontal and use my support hand - pretty much the same as I've been doing with my P99, but it feels a bit suboptimal. One handed, that darn hammer seems to be severely in the way. The gun is extremely ambidextrous with all other controls - am I just being stupid and missing something very obvious here? Surely nobody would build a totally ambidextrous pistol *except* for the decocker?

(Please note that strictly from reading descriptions about the LEM trigger, it seems exactly like the kind of trigger I *do not* want. I've had problems with triggers that end in a "wall" before, I start to yank on the trigger very easily when speed and stress are increased. Not my cup of tea at all. I'll stick with the traditional double action type pistols.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    As a left-handed shooter, I'm kind of at a loss with this myself. I can't seem to think of a really good technique for decocking. With two hands, I could flip the pistol horizontal and use my support hand - pretty much the same as I've been doing with my P99, but it feels a bit suboptimal. One handed, that darn hammer seems to be severely in the way. The gun is extremely ambidextrous with all other controls - am I just being stupid and missing something very obvious here? Surely nobody would build a totally ambidextrous pistol *except* for the decocker?
    I have a P30LS V3 which I keep cocked and locked, but just messing around, decocking one-handed with the left hand isn't all that difficult, you just have to break your grip a bit. Yes, the hammer is somewhat in the way, and a bobbed hammer would help, but I don't think it's really all that difficult. For reference, I wear size small Outdoor Research gloves, and size medium nitrile medical gloves.

Lefty Louie here. No issues with thumbing the decocker. Like so many things, practice will get you there.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

How do you guys manage the decocker without severely compromising your grip? Or do you just use your support hand?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    How do you guys manage the decocker without severely compromising your grip? Or do you just use your support hand?
    Depends on the gun. I usually use my support hand.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

First post here! Hi. I'm coming into this discussion rather late, but I just figured I'd share. I'm a bit of a younger (25 feels so old though...) shooter, and I've only been pistol shooting for about 3 years, with a financial hiatus for over a year. Prior to my separation with my previous stockpile, I owned both a USP45T and a VP9, which were absolutely wonderful workhorses. After returning to the firearms hobby, I was able to acquire a P30 V1 from a close friend of mine. We shot the same day I met him to retrieve it, and after a year + off all triggers, I was ringing steel consistently enough for the circumstances to be pleased. He had replaced the factory luminescent sights with the XS Big Dot sights, and these things are absolutely wonderful. I've always been an individual to struggle with clear sight picture on traditional three dots, but "making the lollipop" with the XS sights have served me very well. Also I'm 100% sold on LEM triggers, and have no intentions of owning any semi without it (because we gotta have some love for a beautiful wheelgun, am i right?). If you are not finding any success with your current 10-8 rearsight and NS front post setup, I recommend you consider the XS option. YMMV.

-TheTrench
    Last edited by TheTrench; 06-21-2016 at 01:55 AM.

During dry fire this AM with my P30 V1 I found pushing my finger in to the first knuckle made a huge difference in trigger control, both during the press (rolling) and on reset, and a noticeable difference WHO/SHO. Where do you place your finger, and have you experimented with different positioning?

I generally sink my finger pretty deep the crease of my first joint is on the far side of the trigger when it breaks

User Tag List